What Must I Do To Run Faster? (Read 2334 times)

Yes, very good advice from Tchuck and Figbash Big grin
    ...but you have no intention of following it. Roll eyes Hopefully other new runners who read your post will benefit from these suggestions. Tom
      One of the greatest shufflers of all time, Alberto Salazar Big grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmzljrUrwKE&feature=related
      Thanks for the link to the video, first time I have seen that race. Great race, I guess it's the best finish ever.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Yeah, weird thread. OP asks advice but has it all figured out from some articles that don't apply to his fitness level. Why ask the question in the first place? I'd like to find an article or paper in support of burning lungs. Maybe then I'll switch my training methods.
          ...but you have no intention of following it. Roll eyes Hopefully other new runners who read your post will benefit from these suggestions. Tom
          It is helpful advice I can keep in mind ...if you don't mind Big grin
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I know a few runners who subscribed to the Hefty method early in their running...ask backroadrunner, kooky, and others how that worked for them. Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah, weird thread. OP asks advice but has it all figured out from some articles that don't apply to his fitness level. Why ask the question in the first place? I'd like to find an article or paper in support of burning lungs. Maybe then I'll switch my training methods.
              Big grin Big grin Big grin http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/04/060420235214.htm
              ScienceDaily (Apr. 21, 2006) — In the lore of marathoners and extreme athletes, lactic acid is poison, a waste product that builds up in the muscles and leads to muscle fatigue, reduced performance and pain. Some 30 years of research at the University of California, Berkeley, however, tells a different story: Lactic acid can be your friend. Coaches and athletes don't realize it, says exercise physiologist George Brooks, UC Berkeley professor of integrative biology, but endurance training teaches the body to efficiently use lactic acid as a source of fuel on par with the carbohydrates stored in muscle tissue and the sugar in blood. Efficient use of lactic acid, or lactate, not only prevents lactate build-up, but ekes out more energy [...] Experiments with dead frogs in the 1920s seemed to show that lactate build-up eventually causes muscles to stop working. But Brooks in the 1980s and '90s showed that in living, breathing animals, the lactate moves out of muscle cells into the blood and travels to various organs, including the liver, where it is burned with oxygen to make ATP. The heart even prefers lactate as a fuel, Brooks found. Brooks always suspected, however, that the muscle cell itself could reuse lactate, and in experiments over the past 10 years he found evidence that lactate is burned inside the mitochondria, an interconnected network of tubes, like a plumbing system, that reaches throughout the cell cytoplasm. In 1999, for example, he showed that endurance training reduces blood levels of lactate, even while cells continue to produce the same amount of lactate. This implied that, somehow, cells adapt during training to put out less waste product. He postulated an "intracellular lactate shuttle" that transports lactate from the cytoplasm, where lactate is produced, through the mitochondrial membrane into the interior of the mitochondria, where lactate is burned. In 2000, he showed that endurance training increased the number of lactate transporter molecules in mitochondria, evidently to speed uptake of lactate from the cytoplasm into the mitochondria for burning.
                Not sure I follow your connection. This paper says LT runs are good. Are your implying your lungs burn when you do tempo runs? If so, you're going too fast.

SMART Approach

Burning lungs is not recommended. Hefty even on your miles there is nothing wrong with a PROPERLY PACED tempo pace intervals or 20 min. run. Or slow sustained tempo runs as recommended above per my advice. If doing Daniels pace fast temps, I would recommend the intervals as opposed to the 20 min straight. Most people new to these tempos run them too fast or race like. This defeats purpose of lactate threshold run. The 3 X 1 mile will tame you yet still be effective. Quick striders are also fine a couple times per week. For me, coming back from hamstring tendonitis, I have been trying to mix 5K paced spurts in my training run. Over a 5-6 mile run I may do 8 X 20 sec. Nothing strenous but enough to get legs moving. Hefty, these type of spurts would make your runs a bit more interesting without creating acidosis.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I know a few runners who subscribed to the Hefty method early in their running...ask backroadrunner, kooky, and others how that worked for them. Evil grin
                    Not gonna go there. Mr. Hefty is exhibiting some very troll like tendencies and me getting into a debate with you over the pros and cons of shuffling will only feed them. Tom
                      Not gonna go there. Mr. Hefty is exhibiting some very troll like tendencies and me getting into a debate with you over the pros and cons of shuffling will only feed them. Tom
                      Figbash, Tchuck has given me some excellent advice and I am seriously taking that into consideration. YOU ...have also given me advice, but have delivered it in a scolding and condescending manner. Who the heck are YOU that I should be shaking in my boots eh? Roll eyes Shocked Roll eyes Alberto Salazar "the shuffler" held the world record in the marathon at one time, if memory serves. Big grin

Prophet!

if only alberto shuffled in the mile...he would have been a 3 minute miler.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Uh...dude, I agree with you. Read up a bit on the injury histories of the posters I mentioned. Stress fractures ain't a good thing.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Simple patented two-step JK program to make you faster: 1) Every time you're tempted to Google, read, or post a study on how to get faster without running more - go run 2 miles. 2) Repeat. You're welcome.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

I believe you may have answered your own question. Yes, the first lap was too fast and the Lactic Acid was rising so fast your body couldn't flush itself of this nasty stuff. Welcome to the world of anaerobic. Running fast is good once you build up a decent base of longer, slower miles. Doing speed work before your body is ready is a recipe for disaster (injury). Take your time and put the time in of running of 11:00 + minute miles and by doing this (along with the diet) you will also be running faster because of the additional weight lost.
                              At no point in time does the human body ever produce lactic acid.
                              C-R

Jake - If you run totally committed to landing on the forefoot and avoid heel striking like H. Geb .............. Cool Just kidding I don't want to start a holy war. For me slowly building my weekly miles using LHR training has helped build strength. The slow also helps reduce the probability of injury for me. Speed work to commence in several weeks wich should really move the peg in the right direction. Really doesn't seem to be a suitable substitute for miles for this plodder IMHO.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/