So would anyone care to explain VO2... (Read 2245 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The answer to life the universe and everything, of course, is 42.

The Greatest of All Time

This thread is totally awesome. From simple question to complex scientific discussion to philosophic roots. Next you guys will be arguing the meaning of life! If a sentient being can ask itself such a question as to what is the meaning of life... Evil grin
      The meaning of life is learning to tolerate imperfection.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Lazy idiot

The meaning of life is learning to tolerate imperfection.
        And Trent.

Tick tock

The Greatest of All Time

And Trent.
          Trent=Imperfection
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          mikeymike

Would that work?
            You know what, I think it just might. Of course this "theory" needs some real-world testing, but I think you're on to something. I would think you could even substitute beer, or maybe even margaritas in the last step there. That part could be fine-tuned a bit but I think the rest of it is ready for field trials.

Runners run

Lazy idiot

Trent=Imperfection
              Fixed that for you

Tick tock

Prince of Fatness

This is the meaning of life.
                I make it a point never to argue with plumbers about toilets.

Not at it at all. 

Just Be

So because Douglas Adam's mind decided it would be funny to make the answer to life the universe and everything, 42, does it follow, then, that we all can come to a mutual agreement about everything so long as we all accept 42 as the true answer? Given the above, the VO2 max of any individual is always 42? There's no more need for scientific testing or peer reviewed articles or any of that jazz! Cool

Lazy idiot

So because Douglas Adam's mind decided it would be funny to make the answer to life the universe and everything, 42, does it follow, then, that we all can come to a mutual agreement about everything so long as we all accept 42 as the true answer? Given the above, the VO2 max of any individual is always 42? There's no more need for scientific testing or peer reviewed articles or any of that jazz! Cool
                    Yes.

Tick tock

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Strangely, my VO2max with or without training is 42.
                      Carps10

you guys are spreading some misinformation so I'm gonna drop some knowledge if that's alright http://www.time-to-run.com/theabc/vo2.htm
                          in the least Shocked Confused Cry Dead way possible? Thanks!
                          The answer to the first part is yes (would anybody care to explain) The answer to the second part is no (in the least Shocked Confused Cry Dead possible)

Feeling the growl again

Hey spaniel, thanks for your thoughts. I agree with everything you say except this: what you are describing as VO2max is really submax VO2. The true VO2max is your VO2 measured at both maximal sustained exertion and maximal personal fitness. Lance Armstrong's VO2 after treatments was done in a relatively decondition state. It was therefore not his true maximal. Once he sharpened his conditioning back up, I suspect that his VO2max measurements were the same before and after his treatments. That is, his VO2max was around his genetic potential.
                            This is a self-fulfilling argument. You are saying that you are not measuring VO2max unless you are in the peak fitness you could possible reach? #1, I would argue that not even elites truly reach their genetic potential, statistics tell us that the probability of anyone being at absolute peak conditioning for a given test/race is vanishingly small. #2, the definition of VO2max includes no such condition. It is a point measurement, at a specific point in time, and can be done on anyone regardless of their fitness. If you are taking that condition from somewhere please enlighten me as I have not encountered this before. Yes, we do it for fun. And because when you invest a substantial portion of your life into training yourself or others for this sport it is good to have a passing familiarity with the biological principles behind said training. For most newbies however you are correct, it is more or less a distraction from the "Run more, some fast, most easy" that you should really be paying attention to.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

you guys are spreading some misinformation so I'm gonna drop some knowledge if that's alright http://www.time-to-run.com/theabc/vo2.htm
                              Reading that article would seem to give strength to the assertion that a true VO2 max is almost untestable because the athlete fails before a max is reached. A maximum effort before failure can be tested but unless every related system in the test subject's body is 100% efficient then something is always going to fail before a true result can be given. A system is only as strong as it's weakest point. It's like taking the oil from an engine and then trying to measure peak horsepower. It might even be possible that the muscular system will never be efficient enough to reach a theoretical max.
                              2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

Why is it sideways?

"True VO2max" is a concept that Trent made up while trolling. Its only function is to preserve the appearance of Trent being right. Spaniel's first explanation of VO2max is the best on the thread.