So would anyone care to explain VO2... (Read 2245 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Your "work" apparently means posting the most ridiculous horse-babble this forum has ever seen. See ya!
    Naw. Look here: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/7c984fbc202947e5bd9f85fbc80a48a1
    xor

Lopez wept.

Baby bean!

Ummm...thanks? Black eye

Goals:
        Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Ummm...thanks? Black eye
          HA Best response yet. I wish the thread could end with sushi's remark but I ruined it.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

A Saucy Wench

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

So based on the readings here and the repeat answers drilled into us, most of are therefore not in shape because we don't have the time or training knowledge or desire, and we can't possibly know are V02 max because any type of test would be sub maximal, so because we are not maximal, we could improve upon our V02 max somewhat because it is probably not at max. Having pointed this out, what would be the best or quickest way to improve our VO2 max scores while having a minimal amount of time, for example, lose weight, do more long runs, do interval runs or 800 to 1200 meters and what can be expected of the types of training.

Lazy idiot

Question mark. Seriously, the way for most people to imporove this stuff is to run more. Make the most of what little time you have, and run. Looking at my log, you might wonder why someone who runs as little as I do gives this advice. I run when I can. I'm involved with many other activities (and I'm lazy) that preclude me from doing as much as I want. But I know that the best way to improve my aerobic system is simply to run. A lot. Good luck! Big grin

Tick tock

Why is it sideways?

Right on Hereford...

So based on the readings here and the repeat answers drilled into us, most of are therefore not in shape because we don't have the time or training knowledge or desire, and we can't possibly know our V02 max because any type of test would be sub maximal, so because we are not maximal, we could improve upon our V02 max somewhat because it is probably not at max.
                    No! You've fallen for Trent's B.S. Your VO2max, as spaniel said, is your max now, at this point in time. It has nothing to do with your mythical "potential," which obviously can never be measured. And yes, you can improve on your VO2max. How much? Anywhere from 0% to 50%, depending on your current level of fitness, your weight, the type of training you do, and whether you are a "responder" or "non-responder" to exercise training.
                    Having pointed this out, what would be the best or quickest way to improve our VO2 max scores while having a minimal amount of time, for example, lose weight, do more long runs, do interval runs or 800 to 1200 meters and what can be expected of the types of training.
                    Daniels (author of Daniels Running Formula) would have you do what he calls, "VO2max intervals." These are 3-4 minute runs at your VO2max pace, which is usually around your 5k pace or slightly faster. Recovery time should be equal to the interval time, or a little shorter. See http://www.coacheseducation.com/endur/jack-daniels-nov-00.htm for the pace charts. You would look up a recent race time on the first chart, and then look up your I-pace in the second chart. Example: if you run a 21:50 5k, your VDOT would be 45. Look up the I-pace for 45, and you'll see a time of 4:16 for 1000 meter intervals. So, a good VO2max workout for you would be 5x1000 in 4:16 with 4-minute recoveries.

Why is it sideways?

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

I thought JK nuked this thread. I remember something like, "For the love of Phelps.....".

Not at it at all. 

mikeymike

If you're running less than 50 miles a week then the best way to improve your VO2max (not the Trent definition but the spaniel definition) is to simiply run more. No workouts you can do will have nearly the same impact as just adding more miles. In fact if you just substitue the term "fitness" for "VO2max" the same is true. One of the reasons I hate these types of discussions is that inserting acronyms and fancy words such as "VO2max" and "Lactate Threshold" always makes running seem a lot more technical than it really is. The big point that I, and obsessor, and a few others have been playfully trying to make throughout this thread is that it really is pretty simple and knowing or being able to measure your VO2max doesn't change anything about what you need to do to become a faster runner. That's not to say it's easy. It's just not complicated. I have no idea what my VO2max is. And I could give a rat's ass too.

Runners run

JakeKnight

I thought JK nuked this thread. I remember something like, "For the love of Phelps.....".
                              I tried. This keeps getting stupider. The funniest part is that all the players in this idiocy do agree on one thing: none of it matters.
                              And anyway, it doesn't matter. VO2max varies greatly among elite athletes.
                              Yup. And that's elites. Us normal types are never, ever going to do enough training for it to even be a consideration. Whatever my VO2max may be, whether its fixed or changeable, has exactly zero impact. Not to mention the fact that 99.9% of us will never get tested to find out the stupid number in the first place. And the original poster who asked a simple question IN A FORUM FOR NOOBIES has already bowed out in frustration. So what the FAQ are you people doing?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

( o )( o )

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay