Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

Nicely done, dude. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Nice job Mark!

I think the key for you seems to be you did not train to break 20 in a 5k.

You trained ABOVE and BEYOND what was necessary to break 20.

If you want to break 20 minutes do not train to run a 19:59, train to beat sub 20 by as much as possible and remove all doubt.

Congrats!

xhristopher

Great run, Mark!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

First 2012 attempt: 21:34 (PR -0:25).  Splits were 6:49, 6:39, 7:15 (muddy trail & hills & hills and some hills).  I was shooting for 21:00 and the course didn't help me any.  Other than train better, I'm not sure I could have raced this better.  Once I get past this marathon, I think I'll focus on the 5k over the summer.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Congrats, Mark!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Thanks everyone!  Found out the official time was 19:27 --- I forgot to stop the Garmin for a few seconds at the end.

Now the question is, what next?  Anyone interested in a sub 19 in 2012 thread?  I would be willing to maintain it --- I may make that a goal after my 1/2 and 10 miler in March and April.

mta: fixed spelling.

Prince of Fatness

official time was 19:27.

Nice.

Not at it at all. 

Thanks everyone!  Found out the official time was 19:27 --- I forgot to stop the Garmin for a few seconds at the end.

Now the question is, what next?  Anyone interested in a sub 19 in 2012 thread?  I would be willing to maintain it --- I may make that a goal after my 1/2 and 10 miler in March and April.

Good job! I might go sub-19 for 5K again this year, but I don't intend to make it a goal or anything. The sub-20 thread is likely good enough for me. 

RootieKazootie

check out your position compared to others on this board. If I missed you please let me know so I can add you.

I'm on 227 miles for the year.

Well done ClevelandMark. Absolutely smashed it.

Congrats!  You shattered 20 minutes.

My 5k isn't for another few weeks but got in a 10k race today.  Managed 42:48 which is about a 45 second PR for me on a rolling but not necessarily "hilly" course.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Congrats on an awesome race!  I'd like to participate in a sub-19 thread if you can find enough people who are interested.  I ran a 19:52 in November and McMillan had me running about a 19:38 before I got injured and had to take the last few weeks off.  But the year's still early and it would be a cool stretch goal!

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Awesome!  After I stalked your running logWink and saw your interval paces, I'm not surprised at all that you smashed it.  I'd say you've been in sub-20 shape for a while!

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

I finally got a bit of clarity about where I am by "hammering" mile 4 of a 10-mile run on Saturday @6:13 (slightly uphill with a headwind especially the first .5).

This tells me 2 things - 1) I think I can crack 6:00 2) I'm not quite ready to go sub-20.

I finally got a bit of clarity about where I am by "hammering" mile 4 of a 10-mile run on Saturday @6:13 (slightly uphill with a headwind especially the first .5).

This tells me 2 things - 1) I think I can crack 6:00 2) I'm not quite ready to go sub-20.

How do you figure?  You only need to maintain a 6:25 for 3.1 miles in order to go sub-20.  If you were able to run a 6:13 in the middle of a 10-miler then I think that a sub-6 and sub-20 should be pretty achievable right now.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

How do you figure?  You only need to maintain a 6:25 for 3.1 miles in order to go sub-20.  If you were able to run a 6:13 in the middle of a 10-miler then I think that a sub-6 and sub-20 should be pretty achievable right now.

Well, the first 3 miles were pretty much a warm up. And it took me a mile or 2 to recover after the 6:13.

Using the calculator on RA a 6 minute mile translates to something like 20:30.

All that being said...I hope you are right Wink