Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

I agree with Snowsicle, you can probably run sub-20 now.

Also, not sure how you got 20:30 out of the calculator.

5k @ 6:00 pace is 18:39.

6 (minutes) x 3 (miles) = 18 minutes

--

Nashville, TN

Also, not sure how you got 20:30 out of the calculator.

I think he means that being able to run a 6:00 mile is the equivalent of being able to run a 20:30 5k.  These estimates are usually based off VDOT I believe.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

I think he means that being able to run a 6:00 mile is the equivalent of being able to run a 20:30 5k.  These estimates are usually based off VDOT I believe.

Right, I just used the "Race Time Predictor" here on RA.

After 5/5 (when I run my first marathon) I will be looking to run some 5Ks and I hope to give you the opportunity to tell me "I told you so".

RootieKazootie

Either way it looks like you're in good shape to challenge 20 mins. You must be right about there. Good luck.

20:23 today. I seem to be stuck at the same kind of times for 5k, but generally things feel like they're getting better. Yesterday I had a good tempo run, so I lacked a bit of freshness today. I think the sub 20 will come sometime soon.

20:23 today. I seem to be stuck at the same kind of times for 5k, but generally things feel like they're getting better. Yesterday I had a good tempo run, so I lacked a bit of freshness today. I think the sub 20 will come sometime soon.

Not a bad time but still a little outside the envelope of 10-15 seconds that makes it seem ultra close.

Can you elaborate on the splits today...how your pre race routine went?

Did you tire out or just go out too slow? I like the meat and potatoes of the race report to try and see how you felt during each segment if you can remember that much of it.

Also the course may have been your downfall today. Was it hilly, windy?

Not a bad time but still a little outside the envelope of 10-15 seconds that makes it seem ultra close.

Can you elaborate on the splits today...how your pre race routine went?

Did you tire out or just go out too slow? I like the meat and potatoes of the race report to try and see how you felt during each segment if you can remember that much of it.

Also the course may have been your downfall today. Was it hilly, windy?

A couple of kms easy jogging, with some strides thrown in by way of warm-up. (I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really make much difference what I do before hand really.)

The first few hundred metres were a bit fast, but then I settled into 4min kms until about 2km to go when I couldn't quite keep it together. I don't have the splits - although they could be figured out from the gps data. But I suspect that they'd look something like, 4:00, 4:00, 4:03, 4:10, 4:10 for each km.

I do the same race pretty often (it's held every Saturday morning) and although it's probably quite a slow course (quite twisty) it doesn't change, apart from getting slippy when it's wet. Yesterday was pretty good from that point of view. 

This time last year I was going round 40-50 seconds faster each time, but I was a few pounds lighter...

A couple of kms easy jogging, with some strides thrown in by way of warm-up. (I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really make much difference what I do before hand really.)

The first few hundred metres were a bit fast, but then I settled into 4min kms until about 2km to go when I couldn't quite keep it together. I don't have the splits - although they could be figured out from the gps data. But I suspect that they'd look something like, 4:00, 4:00, 4:03, 4:10, 4:10 for each km.

I do the same race pretty often (it's held every Saturday morning) and although it's probably quite a slow course (quite twisty) it doesn't change, apart from getting slippy when it's wet. Yesterday was pretty good from that point of view. 

This time last year I was going round 40-50 seconds faster each time, but I was a few pounds lighter...

Your warmup sounds exactly like what I would do for a 5k race warmup.
                  Looks like you have plenty of miles and hammered a 15 mile run at 8 minute pace fairly recently.

Could be you just do not have the speedwork yet to maintain 4 minute per km at least not yet.

Today I ran 10k on my local loop in 46:33.

I was very pleased with this time as I ran a 52 minute effort a few weeks ago in the snow and cheap shoes.

I was hoping for sub 48 today but in the back of my mind I thought sub 47 was on the very edge of my range.

I not only broke 47 but I smoked it.

Now this translates to around a 22:24 five-k according to McMillan so nothing to get too excited about.

But still something to work from.

My splits:

7:27, 7:34, 7:34, 7:31, 7:46, 7:16 and 1:20 for last 0.21 miles.

RootieKazootie

Encouraging run today. 42:50 10K during a 9 mile tempo. Must be there or thereabouts. Trying to find a race but may settle for a measured route.

Okay this is me. I have had a sub 20 5k as a goal this year before I read this thread. I just ran a 20:34 last week at our running clubs Tuesday evening time trial. We don't really have 5k races on our calendar in South Africa though every now and again a 5k will be held as a sub event to a larger event. Most of our races are 10, 15, 21.1, 30 and 42.2k in distance. I am fortunate that our club does the same 5k route every week so I do not have to wait a month or two to enter an event.

At present I am training for a 56k Ultra in April and have run 3 marathons since November. I have noticed my 5k times improve as my mileage increases and would love to break 20 minutes in the next month, If not I will wait two or three weeks after the Ultra. 

I worked out where I would have been on Michigan Flyer's list and I had about 291 miles on the 9th of Feb so I would have been 4th. It seems clear to me that I have enough mileage but I still don't have a sub 20 5k. I think I need to sharpen up with some more speed training.  

2012 Goals:

5k: sub 20 min 19:49

10k: sub 42 min

21.1: sub 100 min

42.2 sub 4 hours Peninsula 3:49:49

Two Oceans Ultra Marathon: Sub 6 hours

Hi Desmond.  Welcome!  I think you're right about the sharpening.  I had never done intervals much until this winter, and I was amazed how much my ability to run faster was helped by some fast 90 second reps with full recovery and longer intervals with limited recovery.  I followed a Daniels plan, and I was also impressed by how the track workouts in the plan were tough, but not too tough.  My memory from JV high school track was of being run into the ground by interval workouts, and I like the Daniels way better.

19:56 today... so finally got it. I thought I was not going to make it from the pace on my garmin. But it was reading slightly short and I managed a pretty good pick up over the last 150m. Next target is my PB from last year of 19:34.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Congrats, Pr100!  Enjoy your club membership.  Remember to bring donuts to the next meeting.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Congrats PR!

19:56 today... so finally got it.

Smile  Fantastic!  Congrats PR!

Feb has not been kind to me...stomach bug last week took a toll.  I have a half marathon on 3/18 so I'll see how my fitness looks then.

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!