Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

Well Done PR. that's good going!

@ Clevelandmark, Thanks for the advice I will definitely check out the Daniels plan.  

2012 Goals:

5k: sub 20 min 19:49

10k: sub 42 min

21.1: sub 100 min

42.2 sub 4 hours Peninsula 3:49:49

Two Oceans Ultra Marathon: Sub 6 hours

19:56 today... so finally got it. I thought I was not going to make it from the pace on my garmin. But it was reading slightly short and I managed a pretty good pick up over the last 150m. Next target is my PB from last year of 19:34.

Way to go pr! Seems like this year is shaping up well as we have already had a handful break 20.

To beat it by just a few seconds has got to be awful sweet because it is difficult in the last half mile to just finish or finish hard.

Congrats!

Life time goal achieved last night. 19:49 5k. I am over the moon because this is the first time I have ever achieved a sub 20 5k in my life. I came close when I was in my early 20's (now 32 years old) so I'm hoping my best years are ahead of me.

2012 Goals:

Life time goal achieved last night. 19:49 5k. I am over the moon because this is the first time I have ever achieved a sub 20 5k in my life. I came close when I was in my early 20's (now 32 years old) so I'm hoping my best years are ahead of me.

Congrats... but it sounds to me like it's time for a new goal instead.

Goals: To keep running regardless of what happens.
          stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Life time goal achieved last night. 19:49 5k.

Wow, congratulations!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Congrats... but it sounds to me like it's time for a new goal instead.

LOL! I have not stopped living yet!

Its just that has been a goal since I began running at age 18 or so and I only achieved it now. I've been told that I should be able to run an 18 minute 5k but I have to admit I really struggled to make a sub 20. My max heart rate was 199 bpm pretty high for a 32 year old. I'm probably going to aim at doing a more comfortable sub 20 5k and focus more on 10k's and Halves after I finish the Two Oceans Ultra in April. 

2012 Goals:

Congrats pr and Desmond.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Originally, this year was all about my first marathon (5/5) but you guys are getting me seriously psyched up for some 5k's this summer.

way to go Desmond!

Now you have to break 20 again to prove the course was not short Smile

I broke 20 twice back in 2008. The 2nd time was much easier since I already knew it was possible.

I broke it the 2nd time on 25 miles per week after running about 40 per week to crack it the 1st time.

LOL! I have not stopped living yet!

Its just that has been a goal since I began running at age 18 or so and I only achieved it now. I've been told that I should be able to run an 18 minute 5k but I have to admit I really struggled to make a sub 20. My max heart rate was 199 bpm pretty high for a 32 year old. I'm probably going to aim at doing a more comfortable sub 20 5k and focus more on 10k's and Halves after I finish the Two Oceans Ultra in April. 

Two Oceans- nice wine.  (I am ex Rhodesian, also like Paarl Rodeburg and Obikwa wines.)

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I get my first, and possibly only shot, at a 5k 20:00 this Sunday.  Weather is looking perfect.  Going to go out hard and try to hang on!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Good luck Rick!

Admittedly, I have a ways to go, but I think sub-20 is achievable for me this year.

Here is my story in a nutshell: I returned to running in 2009 after a 13 year absence. I missed being in shape and feeling the rush of a good workout.

I went to a runner's reunion and was inspired to return to the sport that I loved since I started to compete as a 9-year-old.

I started out jogging 2 miles, and progressively worked my way up to 4 to 6 miles, and mixing in some interval workouts. Right now, I am averaging 30 miles per week.

I ran my first race in 16 years in October 2011, managing a 5K in a time of 23:00 flat. Nothing to brag about, that's for sure.

Earlier this month, on February 18, 2012, I ran a 21:39 5k. I was happy with the time, placing 8th in my age group (50-54). There were 1,800 runners in the race, and I basically got stuck behind slower runners and really couldn't break out until 600 meters into the race. I tried to make up ground and push hard up a long, gradual incline, achieving a 6:55 at the first mile mark. (Mind you, this was the "gun time" as opposed to the chip time. I would guess I was running a 6:30 pace. I was really hurting on the second mile, coming through at 14:03. Knowing that the finish was near, I pushed hard and came through at 20:53 at 3 miles.

My style of running when I was competitive, was to run a hard pace throughout, and start a long kick with about 600 meters to go. I ran a 15:13 5k in high school, and never improved that much in college (14:44), but I did run a 29:32 10K as a senior in college. I really didn't have a lot of top speed, but I could maintain a punishing pace for a long race like the 10K.

I have what I consider to be a big race coming up in 10 days: The California Senior Games 5K Road Race. The top four finishers qualify to compete in the National Senior Games in Cleveland next year. Looking at past results, I will need to run at least a 21:20 to be in the top four.

My workouts are going well, and I am feeling strong. I ran a 53:00 7 mile earlier this week, did some strong 800 meter repeats, averaging about 3:10, and yesterday ran a 29:00 four mile. Today, was an easy day. I jogged a half-mile, and then wanted to maintain a 1:40 440 yd. pace, as I figure that I will need to average that pace to assure myself a low 21:00 5K in my upcoming race. I ran 3x400 and 1x800 (1:24, 1:31, 1:29, 3:11). The times were too fast, which concerns me because it tells me that I don't know what a 1:40 pace feels like, and I might take off too fast in my race and fade badly. On the other hand, this is good news because I was intentionally trying to run a moderate pace and not push too hard, and yet posted some relatively quick times.

My plan for my upcoming race is to do what has always worked for me: Establish a hard, steady, but relaxed pace, and begin my kick with less than 800 meters to go.

Any thoughts or suggestions? By the way, there will probably be between 50-100 runners (both genders, all age groups). So, getting boxed in shouldn't be an issue. Based on the little bit of info I've shared here, is a 21:00 5K do-able in ten days? Also, when would you suggest that I start tapering off the hard workouts? 2 to 3 days before the race? Should I run the day before? I come from the old school, where everyday was a hard day, and basically a race with my team mates. The only time we took it easy was on the day before a race.

Old Dude's Rule!

Fall 2011, San Diego Senior Games, 5K - 23:00 2nd Place, 50-54

February 18, 2012, Timberwolf 5K, Irvine CA - 21:39 8th Place 50-54

March 11, California State Senior Games, 5K - 21:00 (goal)

Any thoughts or suggestions? ... is a 21:00 5K do-able in ten days? Also, when would you suggest that I start tapering off the hard workouts? 2 to 3 days before the race? Should I run the day before? I come from the old school, where everyday was a hard day, and basically a race with my team mates. The only time we took it easy was on the day before a race.

How did that 29:00 4-mile feel?  Was that an all-out effort, or a steady effort?  Did it include a warm-up before easing into a hard pace?  I'd say if you managed that for a workout (i.e., not killing yourself and vomiting at the end), with some race-day magic a 21:00 5k is easily within reach.  

I'm no expert (there is no shortage of those on here), but if it were me, I wouldn't do much of a taper at all, just cut out any hard running the week before the race.  A few days before I might do a few light, fast repeats (nothing too taxing) to loosen up, and maybe a few easy strides the day before the race (with a few easy miles).  Before the race, same sort of thing: 20-30 minutes of slow jogging, then short accelerations to race pace until it's time to line up.  

You've clearly got the background and experience (sub 15!), so you know what to do after the gun.  Oh, and open your log!

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Jehu, thanks for replying and for reading my lengthy post. I didn't realize that my post was so long. Maybe the administrator ought to put a limit on the length of posts!

Anyway, I am excited about the upcoming race. It should be a blast.

As far as the 29:00 4-mile, I really didn't warm up. My mile splits were 7:10, 7:18, 7:19, 7:13. I was concentrating on running a good pace, but not running as hard as I was capable. The last mile is a slight uphill, and I did push hard. I was feeling tired at the end, but not gut-puking tired.

I think I am ready for the 5K.

Oh, I did open my log, but haven't quite updated it yet.

Old Dude's Rule!

Fall 2011, San Diego Senior Games, 5K - 23:00 2nd Place, 50-54

February 18, 2012, Timberwolf 5K, Irvine CA - 21:39 8th Place 50-54

March 11, California State Senior Games, 5K - 21:00 (goal)