Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

Trout FIsher... I think if you ran in the 15's in high school you have the genes to go under 20 at age 50 something.

I wouldn't try to break 20 minutes in a week however.

I think you should focus more on nice and easy 8:30 mile pace runs for 5-6 miles or more if you like.

If you want to run 7:30 per mile pace runs I would not advise more than 4 miles at a time.

You can do this sub 20 if you want too but do it right.

Let the times drop from month to month.

Do not do too many hard efforts in a week..one or two fast days tops.

You probably can be sub 20 by June or July without killing yourself and then may get faster from there.

Based on the little bit of info I've shared here, is a 21:00 5K do-able in ten days?

Just a wild guess. If you go in with some fresh legs and no broken parts, decent course and weather, piece of cake. If you are treating it like a goal race, make sure you're legs are ready to go. Everybody is different. Some take the day off prior, some just run easy the week leading up. Some take the 2nd day before race off with short easy jog day prior. Some like a workout 5 days prior, some like strides, etc, etc. etc..... So, who knows that part. Just do whatever it is that makes you feel ready to go on raceday. You'll re-figure that part out by yourself.

Disclaimer:  I'm nothing more than a pickup jogger/runner. So, my opinion doesn't mean anything. However, it's fun to guess sometimes. Guessing you will do well. Keep the body parts intact. Good luck.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Got it done!

19:53 this morning.  First time ever under 20:00!  Smile

It was fairly windy (25 km/hr) and was running into the wind for a good portion of mile 2 but had it on our backs for home stretch.

Now, on to other things!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Congrats Rick!

And Desmond, I don't think I congratulated you earlier, so congrats to you too.

Good work gentlemen.

Got it done!

It was fairly windy (25 km/hr) and was running into the wind for a good portion of mile 2 but had it on our backs for home stretch.

Now, on to other things!

Great job! You must be on cloud nine!. By looking at your mileage log I can see you have put in some nice long runs about once a week (in the mid teens mileage wise).

Yes Totally ramped up the miles in 2012!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Got it done!

Now, on to other things!

Congrats Rick that's good stuff especially with the wind. I think it is clear that the heavy mileage makes a 5k feel like a sprint distance (at least psychologically anyway). You only have to remember that there are many people who are over the moon to finish a 5k. 

'O' and thanks all for the congrats.

Is it just me or how many people find that they run a better 5k by doing a 1-3k warm up run? Get to the start line sweating is what some would say?  

2012 Goals:

5k: sub 20 min 19:49

10k: sub 42 min

21.1: sub 100 min

42.2 sub 4 hours Peninsula 3:49:49

Two Oceans Ultra Marathon: Sub 6 hours

I did a 2 mile easy run before the race with a couple of strides? I think the strides really helped me!

2018 Goals

No racing goals 

Still not sure when I'll be trying another 5K, but I ran a 10K this Saturday in 41:55.  It was a challenging course (1.5 mile, ~550ft of climbing hill at the start alone!) along the Ohio River with high gusts of wind.  It was my first ever 10K--could have given it more, but was running it as a tune-up and just had a blast with it Smile.  Very pleased considering the conditions.

Next race is a marathon (March 25th, Xenia).  Then it's a six-week period before my next marathon...then maybe I'll find another 5K Smile.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                    Emil Zatopek

Timing I think is important.  When I finish the warm up more than 15 minutes before the race starts, legs feel heavy and sluggish in the first half mile, almost like I'd have been better off without the warm up.  

Still not sure when I'll be trying another 5K, but I ran a 10K this Saturday in 41:55.  It was a challenging course (1.5 mile, ~550ft of climbing hill at the start alone!) along the Ohio River with high gusts of wind.  It was my first ever 10K--could have given it more, but was running it as a tune-up and just had a blast with it Smile.  Very pleased considering the conditions.

Next race is a marathon (March 25th, Xenia).  Then it's a six-week period before my next marathon...then maybe I'll find another 5K Smile.

You would CRUSH 20:00 with that 10k effort! I did a 10k PR 3 weeks ago and it was 42:45

2018 Goals

No racing goals 

Congrats Rick that's good stuff especially with the wind. I think it is clear that the heavy mileage makes a 5k feel like a sprint distance (at least psychologically anyway). You only have to remember that there are many people who are over the moon to finish a 5k. 

'O' and thanks all for the congrats.

Is it just me or how many people find that they run a better 5k by doing a 1-3k warm up run? Get to the start line sweating is what some would say?  

I do best with a 12 minute warmup run started about 42 minutes before the race start.

I would say that is about 1.5 miles or 2.5 kilometers distance.

Then I stretch for about 3 minutes.

Then I run at just slower than race pace (tempo speed for me) for about 3 minutes.

I try to end this 20-25 minutes before the race starts.

About 5 minutes before the race I do 3 or 4 quick 50 yard dashes.

My best times from XC season came from doing a 10-15 minute warmup starting about 30mins before the race, then doing some dynamic stretching + drills and striding out just before the race started.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

I'm with Snowsickle, maybe closer to 20 minutes for me.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I'm with Snowsickle, maybe closer to 20 minutes for me.  

I'm with ye guys on this. Have ran a lot of races over the years and I am a notoriously slow starter - such a pain in the a$$

I always worry about warming up too much as I think it will make me tired before the race so I usually just jog around for a few minutes and then make my way to the start...

I think something like a 1.5 - 2 mile warm up and some strong strides will really blow the cobwebs out. Ideally have that finished 10 - 15 mins before you start so you can keep warm with some light stretches (muscles warmed up at this stage) and some light jogging on the spot.

This is my plan for mt half marathon on the 25th March so will let you know how I get on !

Too little warming up has never worked for me so going the other way now...

2015 Goals:

Sub 18 minute 5km

Sub 38 minute 10km

Break 1,000 miles for the year for the first time ever...

Stay healthy and keep focused