Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

Ran the four miler Beer Bottle Open in Ohio.  Started off dead last and moved up the whole way.  Started my watch at the starting line and ran 27:54.  First mile was 7:35 due to the congestion of starting where I did.  I'm happy because I have done no speed work and felt good at the end.  Nobody passed me the whole time.  Finished 82 out of approx. 500 runners.  Glad to be back and still think this goal is doable.

Jonesy

Running the last 3 miles in 20:19 is a nice split.

You probably are in the mid 20s for 5k?

Good racing.

I'd like to get in on this. I've hit sub-20 before (18:32), but that was a couple of years ago, before I tore my meniscus and took a year off completely. I've had moments of consistency since then but haven't managed to get my training back where it was pre-injury. I'm working on it now, hoping to build up to around 50-60 miles per week this summer and hold it there for a long time. I'm running my first 5k in ages on March 31 so that should give me a sense of where I am. Honestly, I have no idea what to expect. I think I might be able to get into the 21s and part of me thinks I stand a shot of breaking into the 20s but who knows! I'm hoping to break 20 by August so I've got plenty of time. It has been fun reading this thread and seeing how everyone else is faring with the goal.

RootieKazootie

Up this weekend:

CliveF -- 17MAR2012 -- Angels 5k (Huntersville NC)
        nicknack -- 17MAR2012 -- Get To The Green 5k (Columbia SC)
        DS Johnson -- 18MAR2012 -- BAA 5k (Somerville MA)

Good luck/weather you guys. This thread must be in the running for most success ever with so many people acheiving their goal. Is it a coincidence it's Olympic year? Wasn't 2008 your best running year Michigan? I know i'm getting motivation from the games. Would like to break 19min 5K, 40min 10K, 1:30 Half in the summer. Don't know which is harder, maybe the half.

Trying to get consistency at 45mpw and build to 50+ in the next few months. Haven't done a race or race pace for a year and sometimes go faster now during tempo runs - 42:30 10K in a 9 mile tempo so i hope i'm on schedule. Need to lose 6 or 7 pounds too, so that should help.

More Olympic tickets go on sale soon. With a bit of luck i'll get my long run done on the marathon course.

Angolajones

Nice race, Trout!

Jones, are you from Angola? I ask because I grew up in Zimbabwe and have been to Angola.

There are some South Africans here, we just need a Namibian and someone from Botswana to complete the set.

I'm in Indiana.

Jonesy

Indy Mini in May

Warrior Dash in August

MDI in October

Well I intend to race on Sunday.

I just found out the course has been modified and is 3.31 miles long.

Not a huge deal. I will take what comes. I know most of the course pretty well as I have run along it a few times in other races.

In fact much of it is along the course  I ran a 19:36 effort some 4 years ago.

So it should be pretty fast.

I know I will not break 20 but was hoping for sub 21 in the 5k distance.

I guess that translates to about a 3.31 mile time of 22:20.

So if I can get in the lower 22s, even under 22:30 I would be tickled.

I have run 294 miles this year with not much speedwork.

But a couple long runs of 8 and 9 miles in the past month.

I feel really good this week.

I guess I will be looking to go under 6:50 for the mile splits.

That would put me in the category of a 21 minute 5k run.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I almost hate to ask, but why is this 5k being modified into a 5.33k?  Will there at least be a 5k marker?  seems like it wouldn't be to hard to a have a line painted 330m before the finish.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I almost hate to ask, but why is this 5k being modified into a 5.33k?  Will there at least be a 5k marker?  seems like it wouldn't be to hard to a have a line painted 330m before the finish.

Since the race was only $10 to enter (which includes a shirt and some light refreshments) I wasn't expecting much. I felt they probably would not have time clocks at the mile marks but just would be a good way to get a race effort in. I imagine there was water on the course or something but who knows. It is on Michigan State University. The mile markers will be marked on the course. I probably will go pace off the 0.106 miles myself so that I can find my 5k finishing time for later purposes.

I felt they probably would not have time clocks at the mile marks but just would be a good way to get a race effort in. 

There are races with time clocks at the mile marks?

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

@snowsickle - I humbly proclaim - you were right and I was wrong.

Ran a solo 5000 time trial on the track tonight in 19:50.  I guess you don't know until you try Joking

And I guess 50 mile weeks do pay off.

The gps added an extra ~200m but the "mile" splits 6:17, 6:20, 6:01 + 1:12 for the last .23 give me an idea of my relative pacing.

Not knowing how to pace myself by feel I did the first 400 in 1:30 and then eased off a bit.

With 400 to go I was at ~18:25 so I guess that puts my last 400 at 1:25.

I'm pretty stoked about this, but I don't think I've officially graduated until I do it in a race.

Hopefully that will happen in June or July.

Not easy to keep the pace on a track!

Solo sucks too.

Nice going now show your stuff in a race and put people away on that last quarter mile!

Ran a solo 5000 time trial on the track tonight in 19:50.  I guess you don't know until you try Joking

And I guess 50 mile weeks do pay off.

The gps added an extra ~100m but the "mile" splits 6:17, 6:20, 6:01 + 1:12 for the last .23 give me an idea of my relative pacing.

Not knowing how to pace myself by feel I did the first 400 in 1:30 and then eased off a bit.

With 400 to go I was at ~18:25 so I guess that puts my last 400 at 1:25.

I'm pretty stoked about this, but I don't think I've officially graduated until I do it in a race.

Hopefully that will happen in June or July.

I lost some people like squirrel runner. I do not see the Training logs for some reason on a few people I clocked before.

But here is the latest and greatest list. Amazing so many runners have gotten over 500 miles already!

Beaches runner is a new addition who is challenging for the most miles.

1. rgilbert 789.9

2. beaches runner 768

3. rob K 670

4. d bilenkin 606.3

5. Desmond Dreary 582

6.rick stone 575.7

7. pr 100   557

8. willie MN 539.7

9. stadjak 532.4

10. Troy 522.3

11. awaldvogel 520.2

12. ndhitman 519.6

13.CR 516

14. EGH3 512.1

15. slo hand 512

16. smanning 479.8

17. t mackie22 468.5

18. duke DB 456.7

19. rubhadub 456.1

20. malr 454.9

21. jons3116 407

22. cleveland mark 406

23. Clive F  403.5

24. angola jones 355.6

25. jufluco 347.6

26. Michigan Flyer 294.6

27.  sjutton 291

28. Chris H 287.5

29 jehu 286

30. elitho 280.1

31. political quin 271.5

32.ds johnson 263.1

33. lagwagon 244.6

34. jaxn 239.6

35. Eddy 232

36. snowsicle 90.2

37. cruzin v8 53.3

I'm in.  first race of 2012 on 3/31.  Reasonably optimistic I'll make it then.  

Good luck everyone!

lagwagon

Hey MI-fly, please add me too.  

I haven't done a 5k in 5 yrs, and the last time sub 20 was in 2000.   A sub 20 5k has been a tacit goal of mine for a while, and I think this is the year.

My speed is still decent.  Last year, on relatively light training I did a 36 min 5-mile and a 1:40 half before getting sidelined by injury.   This year I've recovered and rebuilt my base slowly...If I can stay healthy and log 30+ mi/wk through the summer, and start to build in some speedwork, I think I have a good shot at sub 20 in early fall.  

First things first; stay healthy and on the road, and get to 21 min in Q2.  First 5k is late April.

Good luck to all!

I knew you could do it!  Awesome job crushing that sub-20. 

35. snowsicle 90.2

Ouch.  I walk away for 2 months and now look what's happened!  I've got some work to do if I'm going to make my goal of 1000 miles this year... This whole injury thing really underlined for me how important consistency is.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

My 1st race in over 2 years starts at 11 AM this morning!

Yeah I am excited and nervous this is great!

I plan to get to the race very early. Right now it is 47 degrees but should be around 55 by race time.

A 3.31 mile run. I believe I know where the 5k splt is and I will should be able to give my mile splits also.

I expect this to be a relatively small race. If there are more than 100 runners there I will be surprised.

So I could be in the top 10 or better. Its been so long since I raced I will be on adrenalne for the 1st mile or more.

I want to start out nice and easy but not too slow.

Hoping to get to a mile in 6:50 then 2 miles in 13:40 and push it from there on the last mile.

I figure 3 miles in under 20:30 gives me a shot at a sub 21 five k effort.

I will be back with my race report later on!