Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

Back again. No plans to race again in 2011 and only ran one "race" in 2011 anyway. Haven't raced a 5k since 2010 and the outlook for 2012 right now isn't strong with only Peachtree on the schedule... but count me in.

Goals: To keep running regardless of what happens.

Go Pre!

Though it won't be the first time, sub 20 is a goal again for me this year.

Ran 20:00 on Sat 12/10/11. Definitely going sub 20 in 2012!

SMART Approach

Throw me in! Couldn't quite get there this year but dammit I am going to do it again if I can ever get my hammys 100% Smile

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Ran 20:00 on Sat 12/10/11. Definitely going sub 20 in 2012!

Wow!  I ran 20:05 the same day.  I thought I was close.

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

RootieKazootie

Wow, 20:00 and 20:05. Must be painful AND encouraging.

This should be about 35 miles, which feels like enough for the time being. What are others doing?

Mon: 5-6 Hills

Tue:  10-12 LR

Wed: 6 Easy

Thu: OFF

Fri:   8-9 Tempo

Sat: 4+5 Double

Sun: OFF

Weights+Boxing training on days off plus 2 or 3 other days.

SMART Approach

Wow, 20:00 and 20:05. Must be painful AND encouraging.

Mon: 5-6 Hills

Tue:  10-12 LR

Wed: 6 Easy

Thu: OFF

Fri:   8-9 Tempo

Sat: 4+5 Double

Sun: OFF

Weights+Boxing training on days off plus 2 or 3 other days.

Good offseason work above. On Fri I would mix in some Fartleks just to keep some life in legs. This could be 6 X 2 min, 4 X 3 min etc at around 10K effort with 2 min rests and finish it off with some striders. When gearing for a goal race, these Critical Velocity reps should be done weekly working up to 6 X 1K with 60-90 sec rests. These work great for 5K conditioning. Now these reps are lower volume quality for offseason but adds a bit more life to legs without beating you up. On tempo day, don't crank it just go with flow. You will get there.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Troy.

I ran 20:57 on Saturday, which was a 15-second PR for me.

<20, here I come!

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

I ran 20:57 on Saturday, which was a 15-second PR for me.

<20, here I come!

Nicely done, my man... you're on your way!  And it's not even 2012 yet!

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

My best 5K this year was 21:27. Right now my 10K training comes first -- big goal is to run a sub-40 at the Peachtree in July -- but I'd like to hit a few 5K races along the way.

squirrelrunner31

Ran 20:04 on Thanksgiving. . . I am an ultra runner but I'm going to sneak in some fast work on the track and try for 19:00 in 2012 Smile

Just finished a 20 minute tempo run @6:46 pace in the middle of a 6.7 mile run.  Considering that my most recent 5K was at 6:35 pace, I'm pretty happy with how training is going.   

I'm in.  I have been back at running for about seven months, and I haven't tried a 5K since high school.  I think it was over 10 years ago?

First race is the River Run 5K in Columbus: http://riverrun2012.eventbrite.com/

I don't think I can make it yet, but I may as well try!

MTA: When I was a high school cross country runner, I never broke 20 in the 5K.  Heck, I never broke ~22!

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                            Emil Zatopek

Please add my name to the list Troy. Thanks for starting the thread. I am at 580 miles for this year and I will hit 600 then be hungry for the New Year.I have no specific goal mileage but I do want to break 1,000 miles then go from there.

Over in the 2011 thread, MichiganFlyer suggested that somebody else start the 2012 thread for folks who will be attempting to run sub-20 in the 5k this year, so I'm taking him up on it.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Put me down.  The last 5k I ran without injury was 19:43, but that was in '08, and I'm fatter and slower now.  This will be a struggle until I can get the weight off and run more miles.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.