Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

lagwagon

Great run, Rubhadubh!  Its awesome you had some left in the tank...time for you to reset for sub 19!  I'd say you attack again next week.

I think it depends on your goals for the HM...if you arent pushing for a PR or top effort, its fair to train through the 5ks.  Whatever you do, make sure you build some recovery time into your training at some point, esp. after the HM.

For me, its 3 weeks until my first 5k in over 5 yrs.  Sub 20 not likely yet, but tempo runs are clipping along nicely so hopefully sub-21 is in order (for the first time this century).

hairshirt knitter

Thanks guys. Tchuck, I *know* you are right really :-)

Goal #1 of the year was sub-20 5k, goal #2 is a sub-1:30 half marathon which I am targetting in 7 weeks, so this one in three weeks is just for testing the water really, but I should be building the mileage and running longer tempo now. It's very tempting to run the local races, and count them as speedwork sessions.

Well, I'll see how I recover this week, lagwagon, but resetting to sub-19 might have to wait for another year! Good luck with your upcoming 5k.

I haven't run a 5K since November 2010. That is my current 21:42 PR. I have a tune-up 5k race this Saturday as prep for my goal marathon on 5/20. More likely I'm looking at 20:30 or so. But I'll go out around sub 20 pace and just see what happens. But not having run this course and not having run a 5K in quite some time, I don't know if I can hold pace for that long. And it ain't flat.

Slo

I haven't run a 5K since November 2010. That is my current 21:42 PR. I have a tune-up 5k race this Saturday as prep for my goal marathon on 5/20. More likely I'm looking at 20:30 or so. But I'll go out around sub 20 pace and just see what happens. But not having run this course and not having run a 5K in quite some time, I don't know if I can hold pace for that long. And it ain't flat.

Me too

Green Bay marathon 5/20. Running a 5k this Saturday. I'm not tapering yet so I won't be fresh but I'm hoping to be in striking distance of a 20 min flat 5k. After I get this marathon out of the way I'll focus more on short races and get this sub 20 behind me.

Good luck with your marathon EGH3 !

Me too

Green Bay marathon 5/20. Running a 5k this Saturday. I'm not tapering yet so I won't be fresh but I'm hoping to be in striking distance of a 20 min flat 5k. After I get this marathon out of the way I'll focus more on short races and get this sub 20 behind me.

Good luck with your marathon EGH3 !

Thanks Slo! I get a little break this week as it's the first week of taper but coming off 70 last week. I'll still get in about 45 miles this week but hopefully by Saturday I'll feel good. I'm also going to concentrate on shorter distances after my marathon. Good luck to you as well. And in your own words, embrace the suck. Big grin

Durst

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I'm looking to run Sub-20 in the end of May. About a month ago I ran a PR 21:10 and this past weekend I ran a 5:45 1600m in the Corporate DMR at the Penn Relays. I have been battling constant knee soreness but what runner doesn't. Hopefully I am mentally tough enough to deal with the challenge Sub-20 will bring.

2013 Goals

1600m -- 5:30 (completed -- Penn Relays Corporate DMR 5:30)

5K -- Sub 20

5 Mile -- 32:30

Half-Marathon -- 1:35

No 5km race planned but am aiming for a sub 40 mins 10km on Sunday week. I tend to run negative splits (in training at least...) so will hopefully go sub 20 mins for the 2nd 5km - not sure if that counts !!!

It's an optimistic target espectally after bombing in my last race (Half Marathon 5/6 weeks ago) so I'd be happy to get a good race in, get the confidence up and worry about times another day !

Still hoping for 39:59 with a sub 20 mins second 5km Smile

2015 Goals:

Sub 18 minute 5km

Sub 38 minute 10km

Break 1,000 miles for the year for the first time ever...

Stay healthy and keep focused

No 5km race planned but am aiming for a sub 40 mins 10km on Sunday week. I tend to run negative splits (in training at least...) so will hopefully go sub 20 mins for the 2nd 5km - not sure if that counts !!!

It's an optimistic target espectally after bombing in my last race (Half Marathon 5/6 weeks ago) so I'd be happy to get a good race in, get the confidence up and worry about times another day !

Still hoping for 39:59 with a sub 20 mins second 5km Smile

If you can do a sub 40 10km then you should find that sub 20 5km is easy...

hairshirt knitter

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I'm looking to run Sub-20 in the end of May. About a month ago I ran a PR 21:10 and this past weekend I ran a 5:45 1600m in the Corporate DMR at the Penn Relays. I have been battling constant knee soreness but what runner doesn't. Hopefully I am mentally tough enough to deal with the challenge Sub-20 will bring.

Welcome aboard Durst, good luck with your sub-20 attempt!

I guess that I'll sign up for this too.  I'm new to RA and this is my first forum post. 

I have been focused on building up for a half and then a full marathon this spring, but some co-workers convinced me to join their team for a 5k race on May 17.  That got me wondering what I could do a 5k in.   I ran a half marathon in 1:39 about a month ago, but the only 5k benchmark that I have is a 25:01 several years and ~30lbs ago and a 20:50 when I was in high school.  

I'm still training for a marathon on May 27th, so I won't have totally tapered down for the race on the 17th.  And I'm recovering from an ankle sprain as well.  So I think that around 21 minutes is a reasonable goal for this race.  But this thread was motivating and I think maybe this race will be a springboard to trying to get under 20 this year.

Congrats to everyone who has hit this goal already!  You are inspiring for this relative newcomer.

If you can do a sub 40 10km then you should find that sub 20 5km is easy...

Did a 4 mile tempo on grass last night (pretty much flat out, average HR of 176...) and went through 5km in around 20:27. I started off too fast and was hanging on a bit during the second half of the run but good confidence builder. Only race planned is a 10km race on Sunday week - no 5km road races for quite a while so it will have to wait a while yet...

2015 Goals:

Sub 18 minute 5km

Sub 38 minute 10km

Break 1,000 miles for the year for the first time ever...

Stay healthy and keep focused

hairshirt knitter

I guess that I'll sign up for this too.  I'm new to RA and this is my first forum post. 

Welcome in too - more the merrier! I'd be interested to hear how you find trying to push the pace for 5k whilst in the midst of marathon training. I know it should be possible to train adequately for both, but I haven't mastered it yet.

FWIW, this month's (June 2012) Runner's World has a plan for breaking 20:00 for 5k.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Hesitant to put it in writing, but I'll say it. I'm aiming for sub 20 this Saturday. I ran 19:31 a month after Pittsburgh Marathon last year. I did not run a spring marathon this year, not sure if that will help or hinder, but my mileage over the last 6-7 months has been more consistent than it was leading up to last years marathon.

I've decided to spend the next 4 or so months focusing on 5k speed and form, this weekends race will give me the benchmark to work from. That said, we'll see what happens.

RootieKazootie

Rootie, thats still pretty good fitness. Get well; don't sabotage your recovery. Congrats pr100 and Tchuck.

Thanks NaderAlfie. Feeling much better. Must admit i'm guilty of reaching a level then immediately

thinking it's rubbish and looking to the next goal. Only when it breaks down i think 'that wasn't too

bad' and wish i hadn't taken it for granted.

Good luck everyone in the upcoming races.