Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

SMART Approach

Awesome! Kudos!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

MY 5k pb was 21:27 at the start of the year, so my aim was to go sub-21. But I've done that so can now try to join this club. Current best 20:43. After my marathon mid-May I will give this a real go over the summer.

New pb today 20:34 - getting closer and still 7 months to go....

With my first 5k in a long time I blew my previous PR (21:02) out of the water by over 3 minutes getting a 17:37!! and taking 2nd overall!!!

RootieKazootie

19:44.0 -- FINALLY!

Friends from the local running group were running, including one guy who figured he'd be capable of about mid-19.  We ran more or less together -- he'd gap me on the downhills (where I'm weak), and I'd reel him back in on the uphills -- and were shoulder to shoulder with 100m to go.  We'd agreed beforehand that even if we'd worked together, it's a race -- every man for himself at the finish.  I switched gears hard at 150m out, figuring his much younger legs put me at a disadvantage.  He matched me but never got back ahead.

I doubt I could have run that hard, or that evenly, without him there for first 4800+ meters.

Great racing Clive. Well done.

Politicalquin, super time off low miles. Must be a natural.

20.34 for the second half of my 10km so happy...

It was a multi terrain course 9grass, gravel and roads) and was very windy so not ideal for a pb. Still got 42.08 with negative splits so well happy. looking forward to running a good 5km soon

2015 Goals:

Sub 18 minute 5km

Sub 38 minute 10km

Break 1,000 miles for the year for the first time ever...

Stay healthy and keep focused

Man, I haven't been here in a while.  I got focused on marathon training (Flying Pig), which was a week and a half ago.

Haven't done ANY 5K specific training...but felt oddly recovered.

ORRRC (Ohio River Road Runner's Club) had a 5K tonight, so I went for it.  It was free to members...why not?

19:49.16 at the ORRRC Vandalia 5K despite some TERRIBLE pacing at the start.  Beats the heck out of the last attempt, which was a 20:25 or something.

Very fast field (19:49.16 got me 42nd place for God's sake--in a little local race!) with lots of college runners and some teams there. ...unsurprisingly, went out too fast. Told myself I'd hold back on the first mile, keep it at 6:25. Yeah, 6:06, and I paid for it for the rest of the race.

Next two miles were fairly even: 6:31, 6:32. I knew I'd banked some time and was just trying to hold it together. Last 0.11 was @ 6:02 pace. Started dry heaving and fighting the urge to vomit around 2.8 miles. I am happy to report I held it in.

One of these days, I'll run a 5K smart and even, but sub-20 goal met. I'm amazed I can negative split a marathon...but can't pace a 5K smart.  I'm convinced 5Ks hurt more, too.  Perhaps fittingly, today marks the final day of Year One as a runner for me: 2,638.9 miles and eight races later...I finally lose my "newbie" status. 

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

vinno101

Is it too late to sign up, been running very inconsistently so setting this as a first goal my get my lazy a** into gear going to set the goal of getting there by July.

Sub 20 5k

!st Marathon in November

Qualify for comrades marathon 2013

Never too late to set a target I say - best of luck !!! Smile

2015 Goals:

Sub 18 minute 5km

Sub 38 minute 10km

Break 1,000 miles for the year for the first time ever...

Stay healthy and keep focused

In England we have an organisation called 'parkrun' which organises free weekly timed 5k races every saturday at the same location. They are excellent, friendly events with a wide range of abilities - the record being 14:00, and slowest 1 hr +. There are 4 events every week within a few miles of my house, and 3 more within a 30 min car journey. Not only is it free, but you get awards after various number of runs completed - I have just got my 50-run t-shirt. It's great to see a downward trend of your time coming down over time doing the same course week on week. http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Yeah, ParkRun is something I wish would migrate to the USA.  I'm planning to volunteer with a Race Director to see if I can pick up how to RD a race.  Then maybe I'll start my own ParkRuns in town . . . though Coach said something about a few minimalist 5k runs this summer.  Not sure what he has planned.

That being said, I'm going to run in a 5k this weekend to figure out my new fitness baseline.  Previous run (and PR) was 21:34 in February.  I'm shooting for 6:40 splits (20:50) this time.  I haven't "tapered" though, and did a hard workout on Wednesday.  At the very least I should still PR.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Future running partner.

Count me in on this goal. 3 years ago I ran just under 22. Last year a hm in 1:42. Training is going really well right and I am much lighter then I was when I ran my last 5k race. So I feel I have a good shot. I will still be happy if I don't make it, I love the training anyway.

In England we have an organisation called 'parkrun' which organises free weekly timed 5k races every saturday at the same location. They are excellent, friendly events with a wide range of abilities - the record being 14:00, and slowest 1 hr +. There are 4 events every week within a few miles of my house, and 3 more within a 30 min car journey. Not only is it free, but you get awards after various number of runs completed - I have just got my 50-run t-shirt. It's great to see a downward trend of your time coming down over time doing the same course week on week. http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

that's awesome.  I'm jealous.

they've had them in Afganistan and Iceland I see.  So maybe there is hope for the USA. 

that's awesome.  I'm jealous.

they've had them in Afganistan and Iceland I see.  So maybe there is hope for the USA. 

I actually just contacted their US director about this. He sent me information about getting one started where I live (Philly); I'm trying to corral some support right now, because it seems to be sort of a big undertaking, and though a lot of the start-up costs are covered by their sponsors, you still have to raise quite a bit through fundraising. I really hope to be able to get it up and running. The director told me that there are several US cities in the works.

As for my sub-20 ambitions, things are looking okay. I ran a 1:10:26 10-miler a couple weeks ago, which was encouraging. I have four or five 5ks lined up over the next couple of months. I think that I can get under 20 by July, but who knows. Just trying to get my mileage up right now.

19:49.16 at the ORRRC Vandalia 5Kdespite some TERRIBLE pacing at the start.  Beats the heck out of the last attempt, which was a 20:25 or something.

... I'm amazed I can negative split a marathon...but can't pace a 5K smart.  I'm convinced 5Ks hurt more, too.

Congrats!

And I know the marathon has a much greater margin for error.  The "proper" pace for a 5k seems a small target -- miss one way and you lose time you can't get back, miss the other and pay a steep lactic-acid price.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I actually just contacted their US director about this. He sent me information about getting one started where I live (Philly); I'm trying to corral some support right now, because it seems to be sort of a big undertaking, and though a lot of the start-up costs are covered by their sponsors, you still have to raise quite a bit through fundraising. I really hope to be able to get it up and running. The director told me that there are several US cities in the works.

Good luck with that, it would be good to think every city in the world should have 1. My friend just went to Australia and did the Sydney one whilst over there. I have just volunteered to become a race director so I will get more of an understanding of how it all works if I take on the role. But its expanding, there are new ones being created in UK on a weekly basis, and spreading across the world.