Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

I'm in, though I have no idea when I'll get around to it. I'm hoping to run another half this spring and a full next fall, so I don't plan on running any real speedwork per se. Maybe a steady diet of steady-state runs will be enough. 

Edit: just noticed everybody else is listing recent PRs. I last ran a 5K in June at around 19:00.  

Haha Troy, I have no intention of running the 5k in Peachtree City on 1/21... Any mention of Peachtree by me refers to the 10k on July 4th.  I will however most likely volunteer at the 5k in Peachtree City.

Goals: To keep running regardless of what happens.

Count me in! I ran a 21:36 last year after getting back into the swing of things. I wish I could go back 10 years and tell my self not to stop running when I went to college. I'd at least still be in the 17 minute range. Oh to be a teenager again...

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

I would change it to a 30 minute goal if I had to run it in Mexico! Down here on vacation and the heat is killing my runs. Did a 5 miler today at a ridiculously slow 9:00 pace and my heart rate got up above my LT! I can't believe how much the heat affects me. 5 miles @ 9:00 can't be equivalent to 20 miles @ 7:30!!!!!!! At least there are plenty of post run cervasas!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

I am in.

I have been running again for about a year and think I _should_ be able to run a sub-20 5K, but I am going to have to get out there and find out.

Not sure when I can fit a 5k in on my calendar though. Currently training for an April marathon and have two 1/2 marathons planned before then. 

Update: I ran a 20:30 5k as a tempo run this week. I need to find a race.

--

Nashville, TN

Troy.

Haha Troy, I have no intention of running the 5k in Peachtree City on 1/21... Any mention of Peachtree by me refers to the 10k on July 4th.  I will however most likely volunteer at the 5k in Peachtree City.

Gotcha. Saw Peachtree there and assumed it would be the upcoming 5k!

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

I'm in! I ran a 19:52 at my last cross country meet but I want to prove to myself that I can continue to maintain fitness and improve on my own, even without a coach (seeing as that was my last season).

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Troy, I just signed up for the Boston Elementary School 5k in Arlington VA on 2/11, so we'll see if I can do sub-20 then.

Missed!  (Kind of.)

Official time: 20:26. 

It was a hilly, fun, challenging course with a turn-around that was tough.  It was also long (~3.23 - 3.25 miles)!  Pace was 6:17/mile, but no official sub-20 yet, due to the length.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                    Emil Zatopek

I'm in! Should have done it last CC season but tendonitis kept me from runnin all fall.  I'll see if I can do it this spring!

Missed!  (Kind of.)

Official time: 20:26. 

It was a hilly, fun, challenging course with a turn-around that was tough.  It was also long (~3.23 - 3.25 miles)!  Pace was 6:17/mile, but no official sub-20 yet, due to the length.

Nice!  If you measured that from a GPS watch/phone then it's quite possible the race was the right length, and you could have eliminated that extra distance by religiously running the tangents.  I see a sub-20 in your future really soon!

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Nice!  If you measured that from a GPS watch/phone then it's quite possible the race was the right length, and you could have eliminated that extra distance by religiously running the tangents.  I see a sub-20 in your future really soon!

Thanks!

I'm pretty good at running tangents (I think)--everyone was complaining about the course being long Wink.  Contrast to the other local 5K I'd thought of...which many people are saying was about 0.05 short.  Picked the wrong one, I guess :-D.

That said, it was a great workout, a fun way to spend New Year's day, and a well-put-on race otherwise.  I'd do it again, unless I do a New Year's half marathon instead next year.

No idea when my next 5K will be.  Eight miler later this month, a 14 miler in February, marathons in March and May...maybe April would be a good month for it?

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                          Emil Zatopek

If you keep up those 50-60 mile weeks for marathon training the sub-20 will probably come pretty naturally.  My favorite times to race are early spring and late fall - April sounds perfect.

If you keep up those 50-60 mile weeks for marathon training the sub-20 will probably come pretty naturally.  My favorite times to race are early spring and late fall - April sounds perfect.

Here's hoping!  I'm on Pfitzinger's 18/85 plan for marathon training, so the mileage will be ratcheting onward and upward! 

Maybe we'll keep having this unseasonably warm weather--then you can have early spring weather for a prolonged racing season Smile.

Emil Zatopek

Kalsarikännit

I am in.  

Last year was a bust due to injury.  It feels like I am starting over (very slowly), but I am taking that as a good thing.  Starting from scratch I can work on running smart and using good form.  This will be a good goal for the year.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart