Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

C-R

In too

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

In

Going to try to get in a couple of mile repeats next week.  Probably in the 6:25 range.

Unfortunately the only 5k I see on our local race calendar is March 4th so I need to get on this right away!  Sad

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

20:30 today - not there yet but improving. Definitely have 20 mins in my sights now.

I am in too!

I am doing a 5K race Feb 25th.

"Doubly happy, however, is the man to whom lofty mountain tops are within reach." - John Muir<cite>

Managed to get in 2 x 1 miles @ 6:27 plus 1 x 800 @ 6:20.  Caveat was that it was on a treadmill so definitely not equivalent to a 5k goal pace

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

CliveF (race TBD)

This was a goal in 2011, but an injury derailed things.  Back on track now (hehe) and hoping for big things in the coming year!

In for the Angels 5k, 3/17/2012, Huntersville NC.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

add me to the mix for this endeavor!

May 28 - Brian Kraft 5K (USATF MN Championships)

mention of mile repeats - I need to get some of that in the program.  Right now I've been doing shorter intervals for indoor track season, but time to move up soon.  Maybe 2-3 next week, sounds like a good plan.

Mile repeats are nice, but I think 1000/2000m repeats at tempo pace and 400s/800s at race pace made the biggest difference in my fall training.  Hopefully I can pick those up again after I've built a bigger base for some races I'm targeting this spring!

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

I attempted a race effort on the treadmill tonight hoping for a sub 22.

I earned a time of 22:30

Mile splits 7:16, 7:19 and 7:15

I felt good on the 1st mile but just do not have the speed yet.

I felt maybe I could get stronger on the last two miles but everytime I tried to increase the speed I knew it would cost me in the end so I played

it pretty well I think.

The half mile splits were pretty even though the 1st ones were easy and towards the latter stages it was quite difficult.

(3:38, 3:38) (3:40, 3:39)  (3:37, 3:38)

40 second last tenth.

I have run at least 3 miles every day this year mostly around 9-10 minute pace on the treadmill.

I am at 37.6 miles for the year looking to get in at least 100 for January.

bcwade

I'm in.  6 years and 65 pounds ago, I had a PR of 19:50 in the 5K and 32:08 in the 8K (which is faster than the 5k PR but I regret that I never ran a 5k during my college training that led to the 8k PR), so my new years resolution and return from a 5 year hiatus due to a bum knee is to get back to sub 20-5k shape.  Here goes nothing.

RootieKazootie

Good luck with the comeback Michigan.

Cwade, it would be very impressive if you could get back to anywhere near sub 20 shape this year.

I've had a few encouraging runs recently that indicate i'm near my goal, including a 10 miler with

miles 3-9 at 6:56 avg pace that was surprisingly comfortable. Must be near 19 min 5K shape.

Need to find a race before i lose it. 

Need to find a race before i lose it. 

Some of you Leftpondians need to get into organising parkruns... that way you have a free local 5k every week.

http://www.parkrun.com/home

Slow-smooth-fast

Add me to the list, Gonna smash it this year

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Anyone get to the 100 mile mark yet?

Regarding the park run... Perhaps we should hold a virtual 5k run where we all find a track or measured course and run a race effort 5k at the end of each month. It would be interesting to see where some of us are at and whose training is working the best. It seems I have to run a race effort every couple weeks. Running slow all the time really is boring.