Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

This has been a great thread, as always.

Short story: I'm going to take my name out of the list, but continue to follow the thread.

Long story: Last September my left knee started to hurt. I tried to run through it, but the pain did not go away. I had my primary and a sports medicine doctor look at it in November. Their conclusion  was "runner's knee," and suggested to continue to run and add squats and leg extension exercises. Here it is January, and still have pain. Went to a physical therapist and the suggestion is to stop running, and add "odd" stretching and strengthening exercises to my routine. I'm going with the PT's suggestions and hope to be able to participate in this thread late summer/fall.

Good running all!

malr

My first 2012 attempt will be tonight. I'm participating in the InStep Indoor Marathon at the Pettit National Ice Center in Milwaukee (doing the 5k tonight and the half marathon tomorrow morning). I've decided that I'm going to race the 5k and run the half marathon (just finish!).

I calculated it out that I'll have to average ~1:46 for each lap - laps are 443 meters - to break 20 minutes. I think it's possible but I'll probably be around 20:30-21:00. Wish me luck!

Good Luck!

My first attempt will be March 17th. Get to the green 5k in columbia sc.

http://gettothegreen.com

My first 2012 attempt will be tonight. I'm participating in the InStep Indoor Marathon at the Pettit National Ice Center in Milwaukee (doing the 5k tonight and the half marathon tomorrow morning). I've decided that I'm going to race the 5k and run the half marathon (just finish!).

I calculated it out that I'll have to average ~1:46 for each lap - laps are 443 meters - to break 20 minutes. I think it's possible but I'll probably be around 20:30-21:00. Wish me luck!

Go and Get It!

Goals: To keep running regardless of what happens.
          malr

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! I didn't break the 20 minutes this time but I wasn't sure I was quite there yet. 2 months ago I did a 21:11 for my last 5k in 2011 and today I finished around 20:36. I'm really happy with setting a new PR and cutting 35 seconds off my time. Do that and a little more one more time and I'll break that 20 minutes. Good luck to everyone else! I'll be back in a few months for my second attempt.

20:25 today. Slower than last week. I felt really good at the start and went pretty fast. That was probably my undoing as I faded badly in the last km. I think I'm probably in about the right shape for 20 mins now if I can get the pacing correct. Hopefully next week...

MTA: Official time for today was actually 20:31, which I'm a little confused by because normally the official time is within a second of the time I get from my own watch. It's not chip timed so it's possible that the timekeepers made an error. Still it doesn't matter either way really.

RootieKazootie

mainrun, good luck with the injury. Hope you can keep your fitness some other way.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! I didn't break the 20 minutes this time but I wasn't sure I was quite there yet. 2 months ago I did a 21:11 for my last 5k in 2011 and today I finished around 20:36. I'm really happy with setting a new PR and cutting 35 seconds off my time. Do that and a little more one more time and I'll break that 20 minutes. Good luck to everyone else! I'll be back in a few months for my second attempt.

Nice 1 mair. 36 seconds is about 150 meters so you're almost there.

I know i'm in shape to smash my PB (19:38). Done my best long tempo yesterday, 9 miles comfortably hard averaging 6:58

during a 10.5 miler. Can't see me making it to the mainland for a race anytime soon, so i'll most likely try it on a measured

course.

98 miles for the year so far.

20:25 today. Slower than last week. I felt really good at the start and went pretty fast. That was probably my undoing as I faded badly in the last km. I think I'm probably in about the right shape for 20 mins now if I can get the pacing correct. Hopefully next week...

MTA: Official time for today was actually 20:31, which I'm a little confused by because normally the official time is within a second of the time I get from my own watch. It's not chip timed so it's possible that the timekeepers made an error. Still it doesn't matter either way really.

I think we are finding out that even with hard training the 20 minute barrier is nothing to sneeze at for most runners.

You have to train yourself physically and mentally and then find the right course and the right day when things will click.

I would kill to be in your shape right now but I have to put in the work to get there.
                  With running there is no cheating. You earn your time.

I am hoping for sub 22 the next time I race, after that sub 7 minute pace (21:45) and keep chipping away with each extra mile I run.

Good Luck!

My first attempt will be March 17th. Get to the green 5k in columbia sc.

http://gettothegreen.com

Nick, I used to live a block from that 5K course, although I don't remember the race happening when I was there (90's).  Have fun!  St. Patrick's Day in Columbia is a good time.

hairshirt knitter

This week, I had the opportunity to get my lactate tolerance tested. I think the information from that is going to really help.

He mapped lactate vs. speed (treadmill) and recorded heart rate on 3 minute periods, before increasing the speed. The result graph clearly shows my aerobic and anaerobic thresholds, with corresponding heart rates and pace. The early part of the graph also reflects my baseline endurance fitness, and how well I'm doing with threshold training too. I have been doing winter base, but my endurance training can afford to give a little over to intervals now.

The clear recommendation for me was a once weekly set of 5 x 1000m intervals in zone 4, with 90s rest. That corresponds to 170-175 bpm heart rate and pace-wise at, or just slightly slower than my hoped for, 5k pace. I'm going to make that a core weekly session (as long as nothing breaks) for 6-8 weeks and shoot for a goal 5k in April / May.

The test wasn't expensive and takes a lot of guesswork out. Whether it works will be the interesting point!

DukeDB

Got it!  Matanzas 5000 in St. Augustine, this morning.  19:43.  My plan was 6:20, 6:20, and go for it.  The field was really talented, quite a few runners went sub-15, and I went out too fast.  5:58, 6:26 and 6:25 and a little sprint to the line.  Broke 20 on the 3 miler in high school but this is the first 5K under the number.

Thanks to all who post on the 5K here - there's good advice and support.

Got it!  Matanzas 5000 in St. Augustine, this morning.  19:43.  My plan was 6:20, 6:20, and go for it.  The field was really talented, quite a few runners went sub-15, and I went out too fast.  5:58, 6:26 and 6:25 and a little sprint to the line.  Broke 20 on the 3 miler in high school but this is the first 5K under the number.

Thanks to all who post on the 5K here - there's good advice and support.

Nice!  First one across the line... congrats!

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

5:58, 6:26 and 6:25 and a little sprint to the line.

Wow, those are quite some splits.  Very nice.

For my part, I participated in an indoor track meet yesterday running a leg of the 4x800 and the 1600.  I ran 2:38 for the 800 (5:18 pace) but felt I could've gone faster, then smashed my mile PR by 10s with a 5:38 1600 taking 3rd place in the slow heat I was running in.  I'm feeling optimistic about my 5k goal this year - just ramping up my easy mileage and throwing in a progression run or fartlek here or there has really helped my speed and endurance.  McMillan puts me at a 19:38 5k for now, but I don't intend to race a 5k until May or so.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Mission Accomplished!

I ran the Nashville Zoo Run Run 5k in 19:23 today.

There were some pretty tight switchbacks, so my garmin wasn't very helpful. (Note to self, include total time on the screen when racing).

I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get under 20, but just tried to hang on. I rounded the last corner and saw 19:02 on the clock and coasted in knowing that I had hit my first goal of the year.

--

Nashville, TN

Nice work Duke and Jaxn!