Avenue of the giants (Read 92 times)

The knee doc told me to stop running, but I disobeyed that slightly and still run a few slow miles a week without any pain or apparent ill effects. So I decided to run (slowly) the 10K in the Redwoods. I went to this race a dozen years or so every spring - a conflict last year, but decided not to do the music camp that is next week. l love the trip down and it's the site of my first marathon in 2008. Will pick up a case of my favorite beer from the Lost Coast brewery in Eureka (raspberry brown ale) and take a run up mt mcgloughlin with friends from Grant's pass if the weather holds.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Ooh, you may have hooked me up with my next spring marathon.  That looks great.  Hope you have a wonderful time!

NorthNorthwest

Such a lovely race. I did the half a few years ago and absolutely loved it. Rented a place for the weekend in Arcada. Have a great time! (and take it easy on that knee)

PS - Not sure if you play the tuba - looking at your avatar - but if so I doff my cap from one tuba player to another. Maybe start a thread for tuba-playing endurance runners? Or expand to all low-brass? ;-)

JeannieE

I've looked at this race in the past. Can you tell me more about it?  How hilly is it? Rolling? Or flat?

It's not a trail race, right? It's still on pavement...? Thanks!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Such a lovely race. I did the half a few years ago and absolutely loved it. Rented a place for the weekend in Arcada. Have a great time! (and take it easy on that knee)

PS - Not sure if you play the tuba - looking at your avatar - but if so I doff my cap from one tuba player to another. Maybe start a thread for tuba-playing endurance runners? Or expand to all low-brass? ;-)

If you'll include a horn player, let's meet up at AOG and play trios!

If it is still the same, the marathon goes out and back, then out and back on a different road. There might be a elevation graph on the site, not sure. Seems like the first out and back slowly gains elevation - there are some dips in the road. The biggest pain is the patches - its old asphalt with some lumps. Giant redwoods on both sides - its the old road-narrow, curvy probably put in 80 years ago.

My primary music thing is jazz on electric guitar, but I play a number of other instruments with varying degrees of skill. I have an Eb tuba and a trombone - don't practice unless I have a gig coming up, then spend a couple of weeks working on embouchure. In the past there has been a high school group playing music at the start line-loud recorded rock and roll in the staging area. One could play out on rhe course somewhere. Don't have any low brass trio music, but if someone does, I am on for that if I go next year.

kcam

AOG is a very nice race.  No tough hills just rolling, amazing scenery.  Rec-O-mend!.

I've done the Humboldt HM many times which is run on the exact same course as AOG just at a different time of year.  So if you want to run that particular course you can also run Humboldt if the timing works better for you. Humboldt is in the Fall and AOG is in late spring.  Both races are well organized.  Bonus:  if you win your AG you win Lost Coast beer (at least at AOG)..

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Okay, I looked up the course.

https://www.theave.org/Images/Course.html

This would certainly be different from any other marathon I've done!