What would you do? (Read 213 times)

BigDaddyJoe

I'm following a training plan for my first marathon.  Today is supposed to be a 9 mile run, but I'm stuck inside in a blizzard, and may be tomorrow also.  Would you try to get the 9 miles in on Monday?  I'm supposed to do 3 on Tuesday, 5 Wednesday and 3 Thursday, and 10 next Saturday.  How would you alter the plan?

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

pedaling fool

One thing I wouldn't do is just "sit" out waiting for the storm to pass. I would recommend spending some of your time (as you wait for the snow to pass) doing some strength training for runners. Here are a couple of examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrPlI5NQRKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KwgKQMisGQ

Then you also got running drills you can work on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvH5WZk0f90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5VgwXqM7p4 (I have no idea what she's saying, but she's cute)

The Machine

I'm stuck in the blizzard too. I am on a streak of 32 straight days (I'm 16 and that's A PR) and I'm training for a meet next weekend. Don't know what to do........

GinnyinPA

Do the run when you can.  Do it on Monday if the streets and sidewalks are clear enough to run.  Or find a treadmill.  Rearranging runs is fine, as long as you aren't doing two very hard runs in a row.

The Machine

Yeah I may run tomorrow morning if It stops. I can't run on treadmills and the gyms around here are closed. I do a at least 4 hard runs a week which help me a lot

Really? Maybe you should have planned on a summer marathon.

Get off my porch

BigDaddyJoe

My marathon isn't until May 1, but I'm on week 4 of the 18 week training schedule.  I run in all kinds of weather, but this is impossible.  Like Liam, I hate running on a treadmill, and my gym is near work not home, and probably not open even if I could get there.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

Really? Maybe you should have planned on a summer marathon.

Easy baby, let me handle this...Let the pro's weigh in on this for starters. Now, what I would do is try to run tomorrow, BUT BE CAREFUL there are a lot of jackasses out there that can't drive after snow storms. If where you live is any where like New England, the roads will be fine and you're golden, just watch out for plow guys and such. If tomorrow is a bust, then missing one day prolly won't kill your training plan, you can modify it or just skip it all together.

The Machine

I'm actually not a marathon runner haha. I'm a cross country runner and distance track runner. Thanks for the advice guys. It's insane here in Pa. Praying everyone is safe

The Machine

I've loved running since I started when I was 5 years old. It's great!

have either of you tried snowshoe running? Great workout.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

The Machine

Just got 6.5 miles done in the snow. Felt awesome

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'm in MD and staying away from the roads for a few days. My street is partially plowed but there is not much room & where it was plowed is icy. Plus, I've already seen people try to drive and they are getting stuck & fishtailing. To me, running on the streets is not worth the risk. If you have access to run somewhere where there are no vehicles, I would do that. A few missed days or re-arranged days won't matter much in the grand scheme of things. If you can do the 9 Monday, go with that, if you need a rest day, maybe skip the 3 on Tuesday. I'll probably do my long run tomorrow on the treadmill since I expect schools to be closed, so I'll have all sorts of time.

ETA: People are being asked to stay off the roads (both drivers & walkers) so the plows can do their thing.

I think i'll go x-country skiing tomorrow morning.

I'm following a training plan for my first marathon.  Today is supposed to be a 9 mile run, but I'm stuck inside in a blizzard, and may be tomorrow also.  Would you try to get the 9 miles in on Monday?  I'm supposed to do 3 on Tuesday, 5 Wednesday and 3 Thursday, and 10 next Saturday.  How would you alter the plan?

Access to a treadmill is a huge benefit, almost a necessity, for anyone who plans a spring marathon and lives in a climate that experiences winter. Yes it sucks, but often it is the best way to get the miles in. For your first marathon, it is probably best to follow the training plan as written, as much as you can.

Dave