Stupid Me...stupid calf (Read 1352 times)

Nope...like an 8 inch stick with grooves on it.  It was actually built for massage.  I thought it might come in handy when I bought it, but I had yet to use it 'til tonight.

I love the fact that you start a thread about being stupid for wearing a pair of shoes you have not run in a long time, which you think might have hurt your calf.  So your solution is to use a something else you have never tried before to massage it out.  Classic stuff. 

You might want to think about running the race on just the one leg with the good calf muscle.  Sounds like you should win this race pretty easily against your friend so this will even things out and goes along with trying some more new stuff.   

Good luck with your race.  

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
    • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
    • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

Beware, batbear...

Desperate times require desperate measures.  Calf feels fine this morning.  Smile  

No more curve balls, Milk.  I'm just gonna shut up and give 'em the heater.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Tom, checked out your article with a lot of interest as 2010 was a terrible year for me with running due to numerous calf pulls. Prior to every run and after every run, I walk a half mile and massage my calves, but unfortunately, it wasn't helping me. I went to a new Sports Therapist and he pointed out that I was performing some of my stretches wrong and also that my massaging wasn't going deep enough. He also recommended "The Stick" and said to stay away from the Foam rollers as they do not penetrate deep enough. Mine just arrived while I was away last week and plan to start using it tonight. For those who aren't familiar with "The Stick" it's a series of hard plastic rollers instead of foam. The problem was, was that I could not find it any place, so finally had to go on-line and order it.

Try massaging them yourself.   Here's what I do before and after every run:

http://www.betterbodz.com/team/aching.html

It works.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

FWIW, Fleet Feet carries them.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Beware, batbear...

I'm shocked by how well the massaging works.   In case your wondering, I went out for an easy 5 miler the day after the race and about 3 miles in my calf on my left leg tightened up.   Sucked but being about halfway in I had nothing I could do but grin and bear it.  Anyway, calf loosened up a bit by the end of the run.  Started massaging when I got to the house and did about 6 sessions throughout the evening.  Calf feels fine today.  Weird.  

I will definitely start massaging before runs to see if I can't avoid the cramping.   It's not debilitatingly painful, but not fun either.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

I look my best blurry!

I just started seeing a trainer a couple of weeks ago. He is Ron DeAngelo and was in an article in RW's Jan issue. Anyway, he recommended that I use the stick before every run and workout. He is also a fan of the foam roller and told me it's best to use it every night before I go to bed. I've only been doing this routine since Friday. I actually missed last night because of the Steeler game. Go Steelers! I have a tight right calf and shin splints. It seems to be helping. Everyday I've felt a little better.
                Have been so busy, I haven't even read Jan issue, will make sure to do that this weekend. Larry

I just started seeing a trainer a couple of weeks ago. He is Ron DeAngelo and was in an article in RW's Jan issue. Anyway, he recommended that I use the stick before every run and workout. He is also a fan of the foam roller and told me it's best to use it every night before I go to bed. I've only been doing this routine since Friday. I actually missed last night because of the Steeler game. Go Steelers! I have a tight right calf and shin splints. It seems to be helping. Everyday I've felt a little better.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Try massaging them yourself.   Here's what I do before and after every run:

http://www.betterbodz.com/team/aching.html

It works.

BoilerTom90? Do you remember what the massage was? I saved this link almost a year ago...and this worked. I should have copy and pasted because the info is no longer there and I tried so many things that I can't remember what this one (of course the one that worked!) was!! I'd be forever grateful...race is in 2 weeks' time...can't believe I did this to myself again! Sad

Sure, I wish I had saved that article too. 

Sit down on the floor, and bend your knee of the troubled calf so you can bring the calf close to you. The foot should be off the ground with no pressure on the calf muscle. You can sit in a chair and do this too.

Start at the bottom part of the calf and work upwards. Put your thumbs side-by-side, press as hard as you can tolerate into the calf muscle and work your way up the calf muscle. Perform 10 to 20 strokes on all parts of the calf muscles. Or more if needed. 

One other trick I do sometimes, and I consider it my unprofessional form of ART: while performing the same technique as above, I dorsiflex my calf as I'm working my way up the muscle. 

If your skin burns/pulls while doing this treatment, you can use a little bit of hand lotion or sports cream. I personally like FlexPower.

Good luck!

Tom

That's it!! Thank you Thank you!!  And thank you dennrunner! Can't believe I didn't think of that myself...used the way back machine so many times to scoop deleted info. Off to try and fix myself...again!

That's it!! Thank you Thank you!!  And thank you dennrunner! Can't believe I didn't think of that myself...used the way back machine so many times to scoop deleted info. Off to try and fix myself...again!

deragoku

Sounds like you should win this game to your friends very easily, so it will not even PS Vita Accessories something to try something new.