New Runner (Read 909 times)

midnightstork

Undecided I've just started running. Presently I'm running 1 min, walking 1 min on various length routes (4K, 6K, 7K0 and my time has been 33 mins and 38 mins. Next run I increase to run 2 and walk 1. A friend of mine who is a runner has piqued my curiosity and I'm giving it a try. I hope I can do this. I can't seem to find an exercise/activity and enjoy enough to stick with.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi there! You're really going about things in a safe way. I started back to running using the Couch-to-5k program which also starts with a combination of running and walking, gradually increasing the running and decreasing the walking. I essentially *tricked* my body into being able to run 5k non-stop. In HS I could never do distances (I was a sprinter), but now I believe it's because we were all pushed to do too much too fast and only those really built for distances could tolerate that stress on their bodies. Stick around this place and you'll do great! It's a nice bunch of folks here. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

Hello Midnightstork! Welcome to running! I hope it "sticks" to you! Your approach sounds great.. make sure you also let your body rest some days! Big grin We are a nice bunch of folks, aren't we Zoom-Zoom? Wink
          Welcome! Smile Just take your time and everything will come to you. The main thing is set yourself small goals and make it fun!
          What we do in life, echo's in eternity. Maximus.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We are a nice bunch of folks, aren't we Zoom-Zoom? Wink
            Well, we Cheeseheads are, for certain! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Midnightstork! Like your name! Smile Running/walking is a GREAT way to get started. Are you following a specific plan? I adapted one I found in a book on beginning running by Runners World. Okay, waaaay adapted. I finished a 12 week course in about 20. Wink The key that I've found to making it enjoyable is just to not push too hard, just going with what my body is ready to do instead of what my mind wants to do. That was a hard lesson to learn, but definitely worth it! You can "do this" as long as you listen to your body instead of what someone else thinks you should be doing. The good news is every runner had to start out new sometime... and a lot of us started out (and many still are!) way out of shape. Running can be adapted to just about everyone! The longer you do it the better you'll get - the first few months can be tough, but once you get in a groove it's really fun. There are lots of ways you can make this fun, just depending on what you like. Music, company, pretty trails, gadgets and gizmos, racing, etc. We're having a "virtual" race here on RunningAHEAD every month now (it's still new) so feel free to jump in anytime. Good luck and welcome! Don't be shy here! Big grin Janell

Roads were made for journeys...