Increase speed or increase distance? (Read 1302 times)

+1000

Take dogs for example. No animal enjoys running more than dogs. They will run in circles, stop, run full out, turn around, trot back, and do it all again.

But as soon as you put them on a leash and force them to run along side you or you on a bike at a steady pace they quickly become miserable.

This is probably why so many people "hate" running. They loved running as children. But then, they ran more like dogs and less like adults in training.

I'm not saying that you can become a successful racer by running around at random. But there probably should be a lot of fun thrown into the mix for runners, especially beginners.

My dog must be an exception. When she sees me lacing up, she whines aloud by her leash.  She keeps a big, goofy dog smile for as long as we run.  She's gone upwards of twenty miles with me.

Maybe I don't run like an adult.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
    Emil Zatopek

Hoban-Jay

I haven't known a dog that doesn't love to run...leash or not.

Slo

My dog has the same problem I sometimes do. 10 minutes into the run and she has take a shit. Difference is, it's completely acceptable for her to squat and drop.

MrNamtor

do your dogs enjoy interval training though?

do your dogs enjoy interval training though?

Heck yes.  More than I do, certainly.  She always wants to keep on doing the fast portions, though, and requires less rest.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

My dog has the same problem I sometimes do. 10 minutes into the run and she has take a shit. Difference is, it's completely acceptable for her to squat and drop.

There is a reason 95% of my running routes head to the park (~1 mile) first.  There are places for both of us to shit there.

Emil Zatopek

MrNamtor

There is a reason 95% of my running routes head to the park (~1 mile) first.  There are places for both of us to shit there.

Hopefully you mean there's a public bathroom or a porto-potty there. Otherwise, I'm going to sort of back away from you real slow and easy.