"Nothing new on race day"...or not..?! HELP! (Read 937 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, kids, for a bit of background see this thread Anyhow, my race is on Sunday and today I did my second-to-last taper run before the race. I wore my lightweight trainers, the 902s. It was a wonderful, effortless, comfortable, happy run...of the sort that have been few and far between in the past month. ALL of my "good" runs in the past month have been in the 902s. But common sense tells me to not wear them for the race because...the longest run I have done in them is only about 6.5 miles. I have never before worn a shoe in a race that I had not run the full race distance in at least once. But, damn, these shoes just make my feet so happy (cushy, flexible, better grip, better feel for the road, easier to maintain better midfoot striking and not overstride/land hard on my heels, etc.). My shins and right achilles are liking them, too, which cannot be said for my heavier, more stable trainers. I'm about 2/3 leaning towards saying what the heck and wearing the 902s, but the practical 1/3 of mine says "danger, girlfriend!" But this is my last race of the year, so I'm also feeling pretty much like throwing caution to the wind. If I got injured now or had a crap race it wouldn't be the end of the world--after all, my HM almost 5 weeks ago was such a dream race that I am very content keeping that PR around until next year.... WWYD?!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The thread you linked is for beta. So I couldn't get to it. But I would wear the shoes. You've got 57 miles on them - they're not going to get any more broken in. Things like "nothing new" and "10%" are guidelines, not rules. It's not like it's your first half - it's your third or fourth. Another viewpoint would be, not many marathoners run 26.2 in any of their training - so by definition neither has any of their gear. The vast majority of them do just fine. I did. If they feel great and make your feet happy - then by all means run in them. You'll do fine. Rock that HM, girl!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

mikeymike

This seems like a very easy one to me. Wear the 902's. And you're not even breaking the imaginary nothing-new-on-race-day rule...they're 57 miles old and no problems. I don't know that running the full distance makes any difference. When you run a marathon eventually you'll have to cut that clause out of the rule anyway--unless you plan on doing 26.2 mile training runs--so you might as well start now. I think pre-race jitters have gotten to ya chica. You'll be fine. Wear the 902s with confidence and make it happen out there.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The thread you linked is for beta. So I couldn't get to it.
          Oops, sorry about that--fixed it! Smile
          I think pre-race jitters have gotten to ya chica. You'll be fine. Wear the 902s with confidence and make it happen out there.
          Woot, I was hoping you more experienced types would say that! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

This seems like a very easy one to me. Wear the 902's. And you're not even breaking the imaginary nothing-new-on-race-day rule...they're 57 miles old and no problems. I don't know that running the full distance makes any difference. When you run a marathon eventually you'll have to cut that clause out of the rule anyway--unless you plan on doing 26.2 mile training runs--so you might as well start now. I think pre-race jitters have gotten to ya chica. You'll be fine. Wear the 902s with confidence and make it happen out there.
            I agree!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

you are going to be awesome - good luck Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Marathonmanleto

Kirsten--wear the 902's. Good luck in GR. Once again-say hello to my buddy John Keane at the Brooks booth. Do it this time-promise?

Imminent Catastrophe

Definitely wear the 902s. You've got enough miles on them and you like the way they feel, you'll be just fine! Mikeymike is right--you've got the jitters. Judging from your log, you've taken care of the elephants and are worried about the pissants. Relax and have a good run. MTA: What race is it?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

If it makes you happeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, it can't be that baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Sheryl is wise. Kick ass Zoomie!

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

902s.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Once again-say hello to my buddy John Keane at the Brooks booth. Do it this time-promise?
                        That's right, wasn't he at the 5/3 expo, too? I will have to tell him Joe says "hi!"--he'll be at the expo on Sat., right? I'm going to go pick up my packet that afternoon. I will have my favorite Brooks running pants on for the race, most likely. Smile Russ, it's the half of the Grand Rapids Marathon. Great Midwest race...very pretty course through meadows and along the Grand River on bike paths through the woods. Next year I plan to do the full. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If it makes you happeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, it can't be that baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Sheryl is wise. Kick ass Zoomie!
                          Yes she is! Someday I hope to have arms like hers...and maybe even look as good in leather pants. Don't think I will ever sing or play the guitar that well, unfortunately.... Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

I'd wear them. Seems like if you were going to have problems with them, they would have surfaced by now. Good luck on your race.
                              i'd wear them. looking out for that race report Smile
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

They were great! I'm starting to think if the trend progresses that I will eventually be in neutral shoes...sheesh, a year I was happy in the high stability (and $$) NB 1222.... Smile k

~ Sarah Kay