What type of orthotic do you wear? (Read 1162 times)

mom2three

I was wondering, if you wear orthotics, what kind do you wear? Hard/semi-hard/soft? I have the very rigid, will last till the end of time type. They have gotten to the point where I can't even wear them to walk in, let alone run in. My foot doc. just puts them up to my foot and says, "Well, they fit fine." Hmmm... I have an appointment to see a new foot doc next week. Just wondering what "runners" are wearing.
    Jill

I don't wear any, but my wife uses "Superfeet" which are generic off the shelf orthotics.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I use an orthotic from a pedorthist that works in a sports clinic. The orthotic is slightly stiffer than the insole that goes in the shoe. I can't feel it at all. It looks like a neoprene - type material only a bit more dense.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

AnneCA

I have the rigid kind, 3/4 length. They're tucked in under the insole of the shoe, and I don't feel them at all.
          finney

Resident pinniped

I have the rigid kind, 3/4 length. They're tucked in under the insole of the shoe, and I don't feel them at all.
            You can wear your sockliner WITH your orthotics? That's a lot of stuff in your shoes. I wear the full length rigid kind. My main issue is arch support and softer orthotics don't offer enough. Mine have never caused problems, except if they don't sit quite right in my shoes they'll sqeak a little when I walk. Embarrassed Even when they do that, they still work fine I don't feel them. Have you taken time to break yours in yet? For some people that takes a while.
            mom2three

Ahh, I hear you on the squeeking thing. LOL Yeah, I've had mine for over a year. I thought they were uncomfortable when I first got them and now I'm to the point where I can't even wear them around the house! The arch of the orthotic digs right into my sore spot where I have plantar faciitis. OUCH! I am currently wearing some inserts from the running shoe store. They are a bit too cushy, and not ridgid enough, but they do fine for running, just not walking. I have an appointment with a new foot doc this week. I don't know if it's just the running shoe I'm wearing that's causing the weird fit of the orthotic, or what? This whole situation is very annoying to say the least. :-) I am currently using the Brooiks Trance 7 Stability shoe. I tried a motion control before and it was just too much support.
              Jill
                Custom 3/4 length rigid orthotics that I wear on top sock liner (saves time when changing shoes). It embeds itself into the heel of the sockliner so it doesn't stick up that much after 20+ miles. My sock liner actually has some absorbing power in the forefoot area, and the inside of the shoe isn't the smoothest. I've found it also keeps the knob on outside of ankle from hitting top of shoe on some models. I had considered / tried some other options and when folks at shoe stores (like REI, ie not necessarily the greatest, but some random ones are better than others) looked at my orthotics, they said, yea, I should stick with custom ones and my feet probably wouldn't work with generic orthotics. That said, they were made by a podiatrist, but when my AT recurred, a PT I found suggested that those orthotics aren't helping where I need the most help in the forefoot area. However, we seem to have resolved many of the problems through foot / ankle strengthening exercises. If I were to get another pair, I'd look into full length ones - both for my forefoot issues, but also making it easier to put boots on (3/4 length ones slide forward).
                "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  I have worn 3/4 length rigid customs for several years after a nasty, bone breaking misstep while running stairs. Putting powder under them and a little on top of them can really help with the squeaking, and I find that putting them under the insoles helps them to stay in place and to be more comfortable. They do take some getting used to, but they shouldn't be painful or rubbing anywhere. As your body condition changes though (say, as you get stronger from running more), your gait pattern can change too, which can affect the effectiveness and fit of the orthotic.
                  starfish1000

My orthotic is about 1/2 to 3/4 length of my insole. It's very rigid. I pulled out the insoles of my runners and cut them off where the orthotic starts. Therefore, I have the orthotic directly under my heel and arch then the cushy insole under the balls of my feet and toes. There is no overlap between the two. Hope that makes sense. I was sidelined for a VERY VERY long time with severe PF in both feet. That's why I stopped running 10 years ago and gained all this weight. I will never run or walk (as in a work-out walk) or do weights without my orthotics. I cannot go through that kind of pain or rehab again. Get a podiatrist you're comfortable with who will listen to you. Anecdotal evidence: I few months back I asked the lady at the shop where I buy my runners if she gets a lot of people in who wear orthotics. she said she did, especially runners. I told her I was considering trying soft inserts instead of rigid. She said that the vast majority of complaints from runnerns were about soft and not rigid orthotics. Hmmm. Maybe something to consider. Good Luck. Smile

SMART Approach

A prescribed orthotic has two "posts" of correction one toward heel and one in mid foot. The posts can breakdown over time but still look ok. Most prescribed orthotics are 3/4 length and pretty rigid. You should not be able to feel them (or minimally). I have had 3 sets in my lifetime and the third set came back with too high an arch. The doc made two corrections but it wasn't enough. I made him re-do my foot and make me another. It is now fine! Without orthotics my shin splints and bunion type pain act up, my low back acts up......I went through two years of extreme pain from the low back down. I got orthotics and within 2 months I was pain free. Prescribed orthotics certainly work for me.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

A Saucy Wench

I got prescribed custom orthotics last year and never ever could get past 1 mile running in them without agonizing pain. Did the wear them in increasing increments, wear them walking and then after a few weeks of breaking in tried running...agony. $500 down the drain.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

"Sporthotics" are the ones that I use. I would guess that they are hard. I love them.
                          "On most days, run easy. On some days, run hard. But not too hard."

SMART Approach

I got prescribed custom orthotics last year and never ever could get past 1 mile running in them without agonizing pain. Did the wear them in increasing increments, wear them walking and then after a few weeks of breaking in tried running...agony. $500 down the drain.
                            You need to take them back and get them adjusted!! They should be guaranteed!!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't know that I would consider what I use "orthotics," but I end up putting SofSole "Arch" insoles in all of my shoes, since the stock insoles that NB uses don't have enough of a bump and I was dealing with outer arch pain (I think it was peroneal tendonitis) from my arch flattening out too much with each step. The insoles aren't at all stiff and don't offer any stability, just better support for my foot.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I got custom orthotics in February after a case of severe tibial tendonitis in both legs. They have a slight cushion, but not much. They are full length for running and 3/4 length and thinner for dress shoes. I now wear shoes all the time and haven't had any more trouble. Actually, shoes are comfortable for the first time in my life!