Handy Runner Lite (for Android) (Read 2557 times)

derek

Everyone,

This is a heads-up that I just release version 1.0.0 of Handy Runner Lite to the Android market.  If you search for "handy runner" you should find it.  Please note that I have a beta version of Handy Runner.  That is not this new release.  Be sure to get the "Handy Runner Lite" version.

Basically, I'm creating 2 versions of the app; one with GPS functionality and one without.  Based on feedback I got, many people wouldn't want to run with their phone and for those people, the "Lite" version would be a much smaller app.

Handy Runner Lite offers the following functionality:

- View weekly running totals for the last 4 weeks

- View the last 30 workouts with date, time, duration, distance, pace

- Ability to create a new workout that is saved to RA

Once this has been out there for a bit and it's working OK, I'll update the full Handy Runner and release a new version of that.

Derek

Derek

Very cool, Derek!  I just downloaded it and can see my weekly stats and recent workouts.  I added a dummy run to test it and worked great.  The only thing of note that I see missing is you can't choose a route so it leaves that blank.   Not sure if that's by design (there would have to be a huge pull down list for someone like me who has many dozens of routes) but I could live with it if so.  All in all it took about 1/100th the amount of time it takes to enter a workout on my phone via the browser.  Good stuff.

Runners run

derek

Very cool, Derek!  I just downloaded it and can see my weekly stats and recent workouts.  I added a dummy run to test it and worked great.  The only thing of note that I see missing is you can't choose a route so it leaves that blank.   Not sure if that's by design (there would have to be a huge pull down list for someone like me who has many dozens of routes) but I could live with it if so.  All in all it took about 1/100th the amount of time it takes to enter a workout on my phone via the browser.  Good stuff.

Yeah, I thought about the routes a few days ago.  I'll try and add that in for the next iteration.

Derek

Derek

The shirtless wonder

Looks good.  This might come in very handy when I go to see a sports Dr tomorrow!

One bug I noticed:  I have a run logged on May 14th for 6.51km.  On Handy Runner it is displayed as 2.49 miles.  The conversion is incorrect.

Greg

Jeronimo

Hello Friends

I've been trying to download Handy Runner from the page of Android and even I've created an account but can not see where I can download it.
            NOT if it is a free application or you have to buy it.

I would ask told me where I can download the application because the site of Android, at least I have not seen.

A cordial greeting

Jeronimo

The shirtless wonder

Jeronimo,

HandyRunner is an application for the Android operating system which is present on many mobile phones.  If you have a phone that runs Android open up the Android market on your phone and search for Handy Runner. 

Greg

derek

Hello Friends

I've been trying to download Handy Runner from the page of Android and even I've created an account but can not see where I can download it.
                NOT if it is a free application or you have to buy it.

I would ask told me where I can download the application because the site of Android, at least I have not seen.

A cordial greeting

Jeronimo

The application is free.

As Greg pointed out, you need to go to the Android Market application on your device.  From within the Android Market application, do a search for the text "handy runner" and you should see it.  You'll see two versions, "Handy Runner 0.3.1" and "Handy Runner Lite 1.0.0".  The lite version is the one that has been officially released.  The full version is just a beta version whcih will be updated in the next few weeks.

Derek

derek

Looks good.  This might come in very handy when I go to see a sports Dr tomorrow!

One bug I noticed:  I have a run logged on May 14th for 6.51km.  On Handy Runner it is displayed as 2.49 miles.  The conversion is incorrect.

Greg

Thanks Greg, I'll look into it. 

Derek

Derek

grapes

I entered a 1.2 miler and it uploaded as 1.02 -- probably the same issue, but I thought I'd let you know.
                      I had the same issue--I used that little plus sign thinking I was adding tenths of a mile when I was really only adding hundredths.

Here is my wish list so far:

1.) I'd like to see a pulldown menu for route, or even a text field to enter a route name.

2.) The distance field goes to the hundredths of a mile (but it doesn't indicate hundredths so you think it's tenths) meaning you have to scroll through a lot of numbers to enter a value like 3.5 miles.  I'd prefer it round to the tenth or just be able to enter the value manually.  Or at least give you the .01 display so you can tell it's hundredths.

3.) It would be really nice to be able to switch between miles and km when entering a distance.

4.) The ratings fields (quality and effort) are fairly useless to me--I never use them--but they appear right in the middle so I have to scroll past them to get to the notes box.  I inadvertently hit one of the stars and set an "effort" value for a workout and there doesn't seem to be any way to make that go away.  Once it's set, it can't be unset.  I'd prefer to not even see that field but if other people like it then a way to close it so I don't accidentally hit a star would be good.

Runners run

derek

I entered a 1.2 miler and it uploaded as 1.02 -- probably the same issue, but I thought I'd let you know.

Thanks for the feedback.  As Mikey pointed, it's actually 100ths you're setting.  Perhaps I can add a second scroller after the decimal so it's more obvious what is being entered.

Derek

derek

I had the same issue--I used that little plus sign thinking I was adding tenths of a mile when I was really only adding hundredths.

Here is my wish list so far:

1.) I'd like to see a pulldown menu for route, or even a text field to enter a route name.

2.) The distance field goes to the hundredths of a mile (but it doesn't indicate hundredths so you think it's tenths) meaning you have to scroll through a lot of numbers to enter a value like 3.5 miles.  I'd prefer it round to the tenth or just be able to enter the value manually.  Or at least give you the .01 display so you can tell it's hundredths.

3.) It would be really nice to be able to switch between miles and km when entering a distance.

4.) The ratings fields (quality and effort) are fairly useless to me--I never use them--but they appear right in the middle so I have to scroll past them to get to the notes box.  I inadvertently hit one of the stars and set an "effort" value for a workout and there doesn't seem to be any way to make that go away.  Once it's set, it can't be unset.  I'd prefer to not even see that field but if other people like it then a way to close it so I don't accidentally hit a star would be good.

Thanks for the suggestions.  They've been noted.  I had already planned to add a drop down for the route.  I should be able to allow you to select the units.

I'll give some thought as to what to do about the effort and ratings.

Derek

Derek

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

[long pointless story deleted] and is this compatabile with Android 1.5? 

I received a force close when trying to submit data.  Interface looked clean though.  I liked it.  Additionally, Weekly Run Stats display while Recent workouts reports "Failed to retrieve recent workouts."  Again, I'm wondering if this is just a challenge with 1.5?

derek

[long pointless story deleted] and is this compatabile with Android 1.5? 

I received a force close when trying to submit data.  Interface looked clean though.  I liked it.  Additionally, Weekly Run Stats display while Recent workouts reports "Failed to retrieve recent workouts."  Again, I'm wondering if this is just a challenge with 1.5?

Yes, it's compatible with Android 1.5.

The problem when saving a workout is probably because of the previous problem when loading the recent workouts.  If the recent workouts didn't load (along with some other info I get from RA), then the button to add a new workout should have remained disabled.  I'll have to look into that.

Derek

Outside Lane

Did my second run with Handy Runner yesterday.  Turned on the lap feature to capture splits at mile.  Very cool.  I love it.  Don't think I will feel sorry anymore about not being able to afford a Garmin.  Keep up the great work Derek.  I just put the phone in the pouch in my Amphipod water belt.

Still seeing a distance issue - RA maps put the route at 4.08 - Handy Runner - 4.33?  Is Handy Runner more accurate because it's tracking the fact I don't run in smooth lines?

See how they run...