Handy Runner Lite (for Android) (Read 2557 times)

grapes

Another request -- please make it possible to enter a new workout without specifying a time. I often just enter the distance.
    eric :)

Still seeing a distance issue - RA maps put the route at 4.08 - Handy Runner - 4.33?  Is Handy Runner more accurate because it's tracking the fact I don't run in smooth lines?

beatlemaniac,

Will you accept that both distances are correct?  If a map has many data points, it can take quite some time to draw the map.  To speed up the viewing of a map, RA employs a sparse algorithm, removing points that don't contribute significantly to the shape of the route.  The upside is that it removes enough points so that the map loads in an acceptable time frame.  If the route has many tiny twists and turns, the algorithm may result in a shorter distance.

So, when you're viewing a workout's map, it's displayed distance is calculated every time instead of taken from the workout's actual distance.  This is why you see a discrepancy.  To proof this is indeed the case, you can save the map as a course and edit it.  In edit mode, all the points are rendered and the distance is the same as that reported by Handy Runner..  You'll also notice it takes much longer to draw.

The next major release will contain the next installment of the mapping updates.  The map viewer will display all the points and with faster rendering than the current map viewer.  I am planning to release it in the August time frame.

derek

Thanks for the explanation Eric.  I was a bit confused because when I viewed beatlemaniac's RA log online, the summary does show 4.33 miles.  Now I understand where the shorter distance came from.

Derek

Derek

Adding a link to the app:

http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-handyrunner-lite-android-FAnz.aspx

or scan this on your phone with an app like Shop Savvy

HR Lite:

Are there any plans to make previous workouts editable?

Also, do you plan to add the shoes?  That's a big one because I use RA to keep track of how many miles my shoes have left on them.

Small Bug

The quality/effort stars seem to pick up when I am dragging the window.
            derek

HR Lite:

Are there any plans to make previous workouts editable?

Also, do you plan to add the shoes?  That's a big one because I use RA to keep track of how many miles my shoes have left on them.

Small Bug

The quality/effort stars seem to pick up when I am dragging the window.

Shoes are there - the label is "Equipment". 

Making workouts editable is a possibility, but no promises yet.

Derek

Derek

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Yes, it's compatible with Android 1.5.

Bonus:  I found the workouts were posted to RA even w/ the Force Close.  I'll download again as I enjoyed the look & feel & convenience.  Thanks!

Non ducor, duco.

Cool! I downloaded this but have yet to use it, but I certainly will! Thanks.
                  KentP

Application on EVO fails to retrieve recent workouts. I have uninstalled and reinstalled.  Any suggestions/fixes?
                    derek

Application on EVO fails to retrieve recent workouts. I have uninstalled and reinstalled.  Any suggestions/fixes?

Which version are you using, HandyRunner (which has multiple tabs with the first having GPS features), or Handy Running Lite which doesn't have the GPS feature?

Derek

KentP

I am using Handy Runner Lite...as is listed in the Subject of my post.   I'm aware that there is no GPS feature on this version.

It does list a place on the screen for Recent Workouts...just doesn't download them.  At the bottom of the screen, after I "refresh", it reports:  "Failed to retrieve recent workouts". 

Thanks, Derek.

k.p.

KentP

Update, Derek:  I now have both versions on my EVO.  Neither one of them will retrieve the latest workouts.
                          eric :)

KentP,
                            I enabled error logging on the server side.  Could you try to list your workouts again so I can see what went wrong?
                            KentP

Derek...

Not sure what you want me to do when you say "list your workouts again".  I'm assuming you want me to try to get the information to "download" to my EVO from the Running ahead website.  I did that...same result.  Nothing.  Same error note at bottom of the EVO screen:  "Failed to retrieve recent workouts."

KentP

The post above refers to an attempt to get the recent workouts on the Handy Runner Lite program. I also tried on the Handy Runner program (with the GPS)....the error message was different on this program:  "Failed to get event types."