Dressing For A Race (Read 503 times)

I'm planning on running a 5K on the 12th and was wondering what I should wear. The temp will probably be 3-40 and I don't usually run outside in winter because of the hassle with snow. The course itself will probbaly be snowpacked, has some rolling hils, and is in the woods. Thank You

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Here is the RW site I sometimes use to guide me: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,7152,s6-240-325-330-0-0-0-0-0,00.html I tend to run hot (meaning I warm up alot when I run), so in 30-40 F (if that's what you meant in your post)? weather I would wear a short sleeve tech T, possibly a wind vest. I would wear either capris or long runnning pants/tights. And a tech baseball cap. Gaiters over my trail shoes to help keep dirt/rock out and feet dryer.
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

If you rarely get out in conditions similar to the race you should probably get out and try it before race day. Then assume you'll run hotter in a race than in a practice run. But also don't worry too much, because IMHO a 5k is short enough that it doesn't really matter if you're a little uncomfortable.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
          "If you rarely get out in conditions similar to the race you should probably get out and try it before race day. " I plan to. Thank you for the link and advice!

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

VictorN

I agree. Get out there and run outside so you can judge for yourself. I know plenty of people who would race in shorts for a 5K in 30+ degrees F. I'd go for thin tights, a long-sleeve synthetic t-shirt, and gloves. Have you given any thought as to what you will wear on your feet? Hard-packed snow can be difficult to run on. Traction will be very important if you want to run well. If it is really hard packed, you can go with screw shoes. If it is a little softer, you may want to consider a pair of yak-traks or trail shoes that have a good aggressive tread. Victor
              I pretty much use the 20 degree rule... add 20 degrees to the temp and dress how you would to "hang out" at that temp. For a race, I might wear a little less, since you're pushing it more.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.