Talking about running...to non-runners. (Read 1246 times)

You -skydive? -bungee? -own a 1000+ dollar watch? -don't wear protection? hearing protection -base jump? -base jump without a parachute? -do just short jumps? What INTO a pool? -are into free style motocross now... really?

Vim

Nah, not hard talking to non-running folks...if the conversation goes any further, I usually end up trying to downplay it all, how slow I am, etc...
      i do this too, but for a different reason. If people can't really "grasp" how difficult the accomplioshment was, it's like sharing a piece of majic with someone who's not at all awed by it. And yet, if a real "runner" asks me about my latest adventure, I don't feel this way at all. Am I a snob? Blush
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
        varies. on the one hand, there's the folks who are like "uh okay, running sucks, let's talk about something we both like and can talk about", and then on the other, there are folks who are like, "that's cool. tell me more..." a lot of the conversations i've had w/ non-runners over the last year have become ongoing conversations as they've become runners. that's always awesome.

Prophet!

i don't tell people about my running! I'm a closet runner Tongue
          anewland112

My best friend in the world says humans should only run if something big is chasing them.
              My best friend in the world says humans should only run if something big is chasing them.
              Sounds like my husband...but yet to him it's acceptable to run 3.1 miles, Roll eyes anything more than that he views as being pointless.
              i don't tell people about my running! I'm a closet runner Tongue
              I've found that I've worn out the attention span of most of my friends when it comes to my running. They have gotten to the point of asking one question..."when is the next race"? And then they just smile until I shut up. Hmmmm. I'm over due for a race now that I think about it, I have nothing scheduled. I should work on that. Big grin I got so excited yesterday when I saw a truck with a 13.1 sticker on it. I was going into the grocery store and I couldn't help but look for someone who looked like the owner of that truck, and more importantly...that sticker!! I wanted to move my mini-van next to it so our 13.1 stickers would be close together!!

Michelle

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I think the reactions you get depend a lot on the social circles you hang out in. Among my friends and coworkers, there's a high enough concentration of athletes that no one (even the completely non-athletic) would think it strange to hear about running for fun. I also think Boston is a very runner-friendly town, so maybe that has something to do with it.
                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                jcasetnl

Does anyone else find it hard to talk about your running to other people? Maybe its just me, but I feel kind of dumb talking about how much mileage I did today or how sore my legs are from running. I find it especially discouraging when I do mention that I run and the other person says "You RUN?! You actually like it? Wow, you're like an exercise freak." Because believe me, I am NOT an exercise freak. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. Anyone feel the same?
                  Every runner hears this from time to time. I've had people tell me "running isn't a real sport" because everyone already knows how to run and there's nothing "to learn". Sometimes, I just shrug and say, "ok" and change the subject. Other times I'll say, "Well, running is a tough sport. It's not for everyone. You'd probably like golf, or maybe bowling." Evil grin
                    I don't talk about running unless other runner realizes that I'm a runner too and started to talk about it. Others usually would think either you are trying to show off or telling them they need to exercise or you like them to ask you a bunch of stupid questions. However, if people really like to know how I kept in shape, I would only say "running" and that is it.
                      I've had a friend come up to me and ask me why I pay to get myself tired. He was referring to race registration fees. I tell him that the feeling of accomplishment overwhelms the exhaustion and the pain. He just shrugs it off. I need to think of a better rebuttal next time.. Tongue
                        I've had a friend come up to me and ask me why I pay to get myself tired. He was referring to race registration fees. I tell him that the feeling of accomplishment overwhelms the exhaustion and the pain. He just shrugs it off. I need to think of a better rebuttal next time.. Tongue
                        so many races benefit causes worth supporting... so when i get this (kinda stupid) question from people, i just say, "it's a donation and motivation. it benefits others, it benefits me." clearly, there's more to it than that, but the people who tend to ask that question tend to be people who are just trying to push my buttons and don't REALLY want to know why registration fees are worth paying.

Nah, not hard talking to non-running folks...if the conversation goes any further, I usually end up trying to downplay it all, how slow I am, etc... Lynn B
                          Have you ever read Dean Karnazes' Ultramarathon Man? He has a passage near the beginning that had me laughing. He ordered a pizza while he was running in the middle of the night on a 300 mile run (a 1-man relay), and the pizza guy was pretty impressed. "So, you are like Carl Lewis, right?" the pizza guy asks him. "Yeah, I'm just like Carl Lewis, except a lot slower," was his response. I found that humorous.

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

madness baby

so many races benefit causes worth supporting... so when i get this (kinda stupid) question from people, i just say, "it's a donation and motivation. it benefits others, it benefits me." clearly, there's more to it than that, but the people who tend to ask that question tend to be people who are just trying to push my buttons and don't REALLY want to know why registration fees are worth paying.
                            I like that, littlem. Smile Here's an comment on a picture on my myspace page, under a picture of me at my first marathon: April 10, 2007 8:59 PM marathon? what the hell was chasing you that you ran 26 miles for? that is why we carry guns in mississippi. i might run for 1/2 mile if i am feeling frisky, but after that, something is getting shot. I don't talk much about running when I go home. Wink
                            deb
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't talk much about running when I go home. Wink
                              Heh...in WI there are several races that involve cheese, beer, and bratwurst--not that that's a bad thing, mind you. It's just funny. My folks are always trying to get me to come run races at home. I guess one is a 5k with beer stations at each mile marker...that would be kinda fun for braggin' rights. I'm sure eventually I will do the Green Bay Marathon, though. I'd like to do a race that my family could easily attend and it's supposed to be a very nice race, too. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jcasetnl

"If you have to ask, you most likely wouldn't understand."