Modifying Stride Length (turnover) (Read 217 times)

Twice this week I've received  unsolicited comments about my stride length.  My regular running buddy told me that his coworker saw the two of us running a couple of times  and he said something to my buddy  like "you were running with that guy who takes really short steps" and, as I was told, proceeded to mimic me. Then, yesterday, I was running with the dad of my daughter's xc team mate and he  commented on my turnover saying he noticed that I  take two strides to his one.  (I don't think that's right, more like 1.5 maybe.) He and I are  pretty evenly matched when we happen to race in the same races.

So I guess I have pretty good turn over, but I can't help wondering if trying to lengthen my stride might make me a better runner/racer. And, how the heck would I do it anyway?

HermosaBoy

This comes from someone with a short stride and high turnover...

Just run -- your stride will take care of itself.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Walk-Jogger

I'm 5'7" with strong muscular legs and I run with a fairly long stride which I've worked on lengthening over the years, and that has made me faster. The only person in my age group in the entire region who beats me at every race every time is over 6' tall with thin legs and runs with a very short stride. Do what works best for you.

Retired &  Loving It

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It's probably not really too late to do anything about it, but it isn't worth the effort unless you're at the point where just a little bit more improvement might win you some money. I would contend that high turnover is not more efficient/good. I've seen it over done and it can be as bad for performance as over striding.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I would contend that the average, non-runner or only occasional runner would have no effing idea what they are talking about and that your cadence is likely much closer to optimum than the people you're running with, who are very likely loping along and seriously over striding.  So to the untrained eye your stride looks weird.

This is similar to the phenomenon where random people tell you you're too skinny--because you're not obese like most of the people they encounter on a daily basis.

I wouldn't change a thing.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Your stride gets longer because you get fitter/faster, not the other way around.  In general running at a shorter stride at a given speed will be better than longer, because it is very easy for people to over-stride and much harder to under-stride.  Just run with what you have.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

What Mikey and Spaniel said, plus, overstriding is a lot more likely to bring on injuries.

Check out this video:

Principles of Natural Running with Dr. Mark Cucuzzella

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo&list=PL9C339C13ECE891FC

PRs5K 19:41 (5/2017)  10K  45:27 (1/2017)  10m  1:10:41 (4/2017)   13.1  1:36:00 (6/2017)  26.2  3:31:58 (10/2017)

I would contend that the average, non-runner or only occasional runner would have no effing idea what they are talking about and that your cadence is likely much closer to optimum than the people you're running with, who are very likely loping along and seriously over striding.  So to the untrained eye your stride looks weird.

This is similar to the phenomenon where random people tell you you're too skinny--because you're not obese like most of the people they encounter on a daily basis.

I wouldn't change a thing.

+1000

PRs5K 19:41 (5/2017)  10K  45:27 (1/2017)  10m  1:10:41 (4/2017)   13.1  1:36:00 (6/2017)  26.2  3:31:58 (10/2017)

Your cadence (steps per minute) should be the same at any speed.   Not to seem like an expert (which I'm not), but I believe the correct term to focus on is 'stride angle' rather than 'stride length' -- your stride angle will increase as you increase your speed, but your foot should still land under your body, and your cadence should stay the same.

Check out this video:

Principles of Natural Running with Dr. Mark Cucuzzella

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo&list=PL9C339C13ECE891FC

That's not really true. Here's another viewpoint: http://strengthrunning.com/2012/07/best-stride-rate/

That's not really true. Here's another viewpoint: http://strengthrunning.com/2012/07/best-stride-rate/

I checked your link, which states this:

"There’s no “magic” stride rate, although many people have recommended 180 steps per minute (including me). A fastER stride cadence than what you’re currently doing will likely help you prevent injuries and become a more efficient runner. If your cadence is a common 160 steps per minute or less, you should definitely try to increase your cadence by 5-10%. Keep in mind that if you’re running very slow, your stride rate will probably be lower than when you’re doing a track workout or racing. That’s ok."

joescott

Stride rate changes meaningfully with running speed though not nearly so much as stride length.  For me, easy run = about 180 spm, but when I'm running quarters on the track, it is well over 200.  There is a continuum in between, which is exactly what Fitzgerald is saying.  He is not saying that it *only* varies when you are running "very slow".  What he says is do not worry if it is different running slow than running fast -- that's OK.  So, no, your cadence should not be the same at any speed.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Stride rate changes meaningfully with running speed though not nearly so much as stride length.  For me, easy run = about 180 spm, but when I'm running quarters on the track, it is well over 200.  There is a continuum in between, which is exactly what Fitzgerald is saying.  He is not saying that it *only* varies when you are running "very slow".  What he says is do not worry if it is different running slow than running fast -- that's OK.  So, no, your cadence should not be the same at any speed.

I stand corrected -- I should not have said one's cadence should stay the same at any speed.

But!  I must say that you, the OP, and BoilerTom are infinitely better runners than me -- so what the hell do I know... anyone reading this thread would compare our logs and conclude that one person is an idiot -- while the other runs 80+ MPW ...

Ones running ability doesn't automatically make them more knowledgeable than others.  My comment was not only based on the StrengthRunnning article but also on my own experience.

Years ago I read the whole 180 cadence theory in the Daniels' book and at the time hadn't paid attention to my cadence.  My experience is like Joe's: the faster I'm trying to go, the faster my cadence is, though never approaching 200 as Joe says. My cadence is normally in the low 170s on regular training runs, about 180 on faster days, and well below 170 on recovery days and during the jogging period of an interval workout.   I've tried to speed it up (thinking I'm doing something wrong being so slow), but I've just given up worrying about it.   I thought my cadence was slow until last weekend when I ran with an old HS friend who was always a better runner than I and he still has his long bounding stride.  It worked for him 30+ years ago and it still works for him.

NHLA

Get a coach.  Somebody who really knows what they are doing. Your stride might be too short but I doubt it.