Barkley (Read 687 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks Trent!

To my surprise, Netflix Canada actually has it. Sometimes we don't get what Netflix US gets. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In case you are interesting, Bark is going on right now. Updates via Twitter are great.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Jared just finished. 3 time finisher. Wow.

wow indeed.

Get off my porch

PixieDustRunner

Loved this film on Netflix!!!

jfa

Holy Shit.

bhearn

Yeah, wow.

Since the movie all my FB friends are asking me when I'm going to try it. I'm not (quite) that stupid. Though I am kind of shocked that a guy with very similar ultrasignup stats to mine (John Fegyveresi) has finished.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Course got harder since John finished, and he barely finished.

Joann Y

Course got harder since John finished, and he barely finished.

I see you have the "Barkley Fall Classic" as a countdown on your summary page. Does that have any relation at all to THE Barkley? (like part of the course or anything?)

Best Present Ever

I see you have the "Barkley Fall Classic" as a countdown on your summary page. Does that have any relation at all to THE Barkley? (like part of the course or anything?)

yes -- it's like a mini Barkley.  My husband (a non runner) watched the movie and immediately declared that I should apply for the Barkley.  Much eye-rolling on my part followed.  Bless his heart.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Right.

The Fall Classic is a 50k run, with a 22 mile marathon finish option (think: Fun Run). Those are Laz miles, and they are more likely 36 and 26 miles, respectively. Last year, the 50k had a 30% finish rate, and there was a 40% DNF rate overall. I was a DNF at real mile 20, just below Rat Jaw. The Fall Classic is designed to be VERY hard, but achievable with training and course knowledge. I lacked the training. The Fall Classic is also designed to give runners a taste of Frozen Head State Park, its rugged beauty and its difficult terrain.

Since the Big Barkley course is not published and subject to a lot of speculation, it is uncertain what of the course is contained in the Fall Classic. But it is clear that a number of major features are. This includes the first few miles of the Bark, which in on trails when run CW, Garden Spot, Son of a Bitch Ditch, Testicle Spectacle, Rat Jaw, Fire Tower, Chimney Top, North Old Mac, and several others. But so much of the big Bark is off trail and way out there, further out than where the Fall Classic goes.

jfa

Yeah, wow.

Since the movie all my FB friends are asking me when I'm going to try it. I'm not (quite) that stupid. Though I am kind of shocked that a guy with very similar ultrasignup stats to mine (John Fegyveresi) has finished.

This has you written all over it Bob.

keeponrunning

This has you written all over it Bob.

+1.

You've done over 150 miles at one time.  This is just a walk in the park for you   (says someone who will never try it)

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

bhearn

Not the same thing at all. A little piece of me is curious, but seriously, I don't think my strengths as a runner are in the right directions for Barkley.

According to Ultrasignup, the finishing rate was 47% last year. There were 101 50K finishers and 43 DNF and 69 dropped to a marathon. In 2014 there were 163 finishers and 104 DNF so 61% finishing rate.

Why do you think the finishing rate was so much lower last year?

Andy

Right.

The Fall Classic is a 50k run, with a 22 mile marathon finish option (think: Fun Run). Those are Laz miles, and they are more likely 36 and 26 miles, respectively. Last year, the 50k had a 30% finish rate, and there was a 40% DNF rate overall. I was a DNF at real mile 20, just below Rat Jaw. The Fall Classic is designed to be VERY hard, but achievable with training and course knowledge. I lacked the training. The Fall Classic is also designed to give runners a taste of Frozen Head State Park, its rugged beauty and its difficult terrain.

Since the Big Barkley course is not published and subject to a lot of speculation, it is uncertain what of the course is contained in the Fall Classic. But it is clear that a number of major features are. This includes the first few miles of the Bark, which in on trails when run CW, Garden Spot, Son of a Bitch Ditch, Testicle Spectacle, Rat Jaw, Fire Tower, Chimney Top, North Old Mac, and several others. But so much of the big Bark is off trail and way out there, further out than where the Fall Classic goes.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly