Barkley (Read 687 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks for clarifying. Barkley bugs in my brain I think.

In 2015, the course was much more difficult, but there was also the Fun Run option. There was no Fun Run option in 2014.

Kalsarikännit

I really don't see any connection between being a very good ultra runner (or being an ultra runner at all) and the Barkley.  Apples and oranges.  All of these people that have finished have long distance FKT's, and pretty average results when racing.  Other than understanding one's own body when it comes to sleep deprivation, I don't see how running around in flat loops, or racing in a 100 miler where the average runner has someone next to them for the second half of the race, on a well marked course, holding their hand and opening their gu packets for them, has anything to do with being able to understand the intricacies of a mountain, memorizing its ridges and folds, and being able to navigate all of this by headlamp.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I really don't see any connection between being a very good ultra runner (or being an ultra runner at all) and the Barkley.

People are going nuts about Laz' many quotes that women are not tough enough to complete the Big Barkley, that they are too soft. While his comments may not sound very nice (unlike most of his usual warm, touchy feely words) the data back him up. The way so many people respond is by naming this or that "badass chick" (their words) who has had great success running ultras, as if she will be the one finally to crush the race. To me, that disrespects all the badass chicks who have already come and tried.

The Barkley is a whole other kind of thing, at the edge of possibility, and every becoming harder. Your favorite ultra runner (male or female) can't just go out and finish Barkley because they are badass. They literally have to live, eat, breath and train Barkley for months/years. And they have to come out on race weekend and, in most cases, fail for several years first.

Kalsarikännit

People are going nuts about Laz' many quotes that women are not tough enough to complete the Big Barkley, that they are too soft. While his comments may not sound very nice (unlike most of his usual warm, touchy feely words) the data back him up. The way so many people respond is by naming this or that "badass chick" (their words) who has had great success running ultras, as if she will be the one finally to crush the race. To me, that disrespects all the badass chicks who have already come and tried.

The Barkley is a whole other kind of thing, at the edge of possibility, and every becoming harder. Your favorite ultra runner (male or female) can't just go out and finish Barkley because they are badass. They literally have to live, eat, breath and train Barkley for months/years. And they have to come out on race weekend and, in most cases, fail for several years first.

He said that to me (about women).  I could only agree.  When one proves him wrong, I will rejoice.  Each year, I keep hoping this is the year. Sue Johnston was a very good ultra runner and she was out there setting multi day FKT's.  She is a badass.  Alas.

I keep thinking of a specific situation and conversation from years back regarding the mountains and ultras.  A race in Idaho was faced with a dilemma when white-out and dangerous weather conditions came over the mountain.  They were stuck with having to make the decision whether or not to cancel the race.  This was interesting because they pointed out that years ago this would have been a non-issue.  The people that raced in the mountains were knowledgeable about mountains and capable in the mountains.  This is not the case anymore.  Someone was liable to kill themselves if they didn't have someone looking out for them.  I think of this because it just doesn't apply to the noobs.  There have been several instances of really, really, REALLY good ultra runners being as dumb as shit, and irresponsible as can be because they want to move light and fast.  Whether it is being evacuated off of a mountain due to hypothermia because they thought a singlet would suffice above 13,000 ft, or on the ground while attempting a R2R2R FKT, completely bonked, because they didn't carry the proper amount (not to mention extra) fuel.  I think most ultra runners are incapable of making good decisions or being self sufficient for long periods, and this race certainly demands that.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Perhaps women are just too smart to attempt the whole thing!

bhearn

I really don't see any connection between being a very good ultra runner (or being an ultra runner at all) and the Barkley.  Apples and oranges.  All of these people that have finished have long distance FKT's, and pretty average results when racing.  Other than understanding one's own body when it comes to sleep deprivation, I don't see how running around in flat loops, or racing in a 100 miler where the average runner has someone next to them for the second half of the race, on a well marked course, holding their hand and opening their gu packets for them, has anything to do with being able to understand the intricacies of a mountain, memorizing its ridges and folds, and being able to navigate all of this by headlamp.

Agreed. I'm good on the sleep deprivation part; that's it.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

He said that to me (about women).  I could only agree.  When one proves him wrong, I will rejoice. 

From the documentary, I got the impression that Laz would be rejoicing along with you.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

He has said as much. Watch to the end.

I got the impression that Laz would be rejoicing along with you.

#tbt

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

I'm signed up for this year so I guess I can add some time to my 2014 finishing time. Looking forward to it.

Andy

Thanks for clarifying. Barkley bugs in my brain I think.

In 2015, the course was much more difficult, but there was also the Fun Run option. There was no Fun Run option in 2014.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yup. I plan to be there. I still have a lot of work to do. Gonna try to get out to FHSP a few times between now and then.

JPF

Real Runner's World website headline:  "Scenes from the Barkley Marathons, a Crazy Trail Race"

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Always disappoints me when some gem like this catches the notice from the unwashed masses.  Then, I realize that the only reason I know about it is because I'm one of those people too.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

xhristopher

Amazingly I first read about the Barkley in 2009 or 10, I think from a Marathon & Beyond article. I finally watched the documentary last night. I enjoyed it. Mostly I enjoyed the people in it. The race is kinda insane. I don't think they did an adequate job capturing the difficulty of the terrain, which only leaves more people thinking they can do it too.

I've never run an ultra but have to imagine that most are accessible and finishable with the proper training and experience. This one is different. Training and experience appears to just scratches the surface of what you need to finish.