Barkley (Read 687 times)

T Hound

Slower but happier

5. The only time it was an attempt to escape prison, it wasn't organized by Laz. That we know of. Anyway, James Earl Ray is dead.

Such a race would be interesting:

start at the prison/escape room type of thing

you get a bit of head start after that

dogs, police, maybe helicopters chase you (drones maybe)

whoever survives the longest wins

no fancy gear sorry

Extra cudos for dressing up as your favorite prison escapee

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

Such a race would be interesting:

start at the prison/escape room type of thing

you get a bit of head start after that

dogs, police, maybe helicopters chase you (drones maybe)

whoever survives the longest wins

no fancy gear sorry

Extra cudos for dressing up as your favorite prison escapee

Million Dollar Mile coming to TV soon. Outrun a famous athlete and get a million dollars. That's enough to buy half a house in San Francisco! woo, woo, and woo 

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Running Problem

Problem Child

Million Dollar Mile coming to TV soon. Outrun a famous athlete and get a million dollars. That's enough to buy half a house in San Francisco! woo, woo, and woo 

This show is going to fail miserably. The elites they've selected, along with the competitior being required to do the obsticles, are going to make it just like "Who Wants to be a Millionare" where it takes so long for someone to get close that when someone wins it's questioned. Even American Ninja Warrior requires you to be almost a semi-pro athlete to get on TV.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

There is??

Yes. It is called the Barkley Fall Classic. It is even on Ultra signup.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

The other Barkley, the Barkley Fall Classic, it is NOT a 3 loop course.

At. All.

Okay. The fall classic doesn't count. It isn't  a 3 loop course. Just a 31 mile race instead of about 100 miles, not allowing GPS, containing a whole bunch of climbing, with no map revealed until the day before, a different course each year, and it is open to to anyone who wants to register. It's good to know you're familiar with the course. I'd be curious to know more about it.

Fron ultrasignup:

It contains all the elements; beautiful trails thru the rugged Brushy Mountains, surprising new elements to the course every year, with the course map not revealed until the night before the race, numerous hard climbs and descents (including some of the signature hills that have made the Barkley a thing of legend), and a very personal challenge to face down the demons that wait for us at our very limits of endurance.
            The BFC is a 50 kilometer race, with a ridiculous amount of climb and descent (with the attendant reward of numerous scenic vistas.) The course is designed to challenge the runner mentally, as well as physically. GPS is NOT ALLOWED, and those choosing to use it run the risk of lifetime ban. Course markings only exist at major turns, leaving the runner to rely on their confidence that they have not made a wrong turn, or missed a right one. Long sections of very runnable trail follow on the heels of strength-sapping sections of hills... requiring the successful BFC runner to run, when every fiber of their being cries out for taking things slow to recover. The most devastating climbs hit at the runner's weakest moments. Everything is arranged to play on the doubts and weaknesses that exist in all of us. The BFC'er must not only beat the course to finish, but they must conquer their own darkest fears....

As a final challenge, there is a 22.1 mile cutoff of nine and a half hours. Those who reach that point within the time limit are presented with a terrible choice. They can, with a word, choose to end the suffering and run an easy downhill grade for another 7 tenths of a mile, to record a marathon finish.... or, they can strike out into another 9 miles of brutal climbs and descents in an attempt to complete the 50k. Unlike other races with "drop-down" choices, those who choose to continue can no longer log a marathon. At the BFC it is all or nothing.

At the BFC, success is not guaranteed. It might even be considered unlikely. Fully a third of the aspiring entrants will come up with some reason to not be at the line when the starting cigarette is lit. (and who can blame them? at the BFC your very best is not good enough. It takes something a little more than that). More than half of those who have the guts to toe the line will not finish the 50k. The Barkley Fall Classic is not for everyone. If you are only looking to impress your friends, there are a lot of better 50k's to choose from. You should pick one where you are sure to finish, if you don't screw up. If you are looking for a chance to find that something extra inside yourself... that something that you do not know for certain is there... the BFC is for you.

Male and Female winners get guaranteed slots in the Big Barkley in the spring. (A lot of others may discover that they really do not even want to appy.)

VDOT 53.37 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Not sure what you mean by saying that the BFC doesn’t count. And I’m still not sure what 3 loop race you are referring to.

I’ve started BFC twice. I have never finished. I’ve had to DNS twice and have DNFd twice due as much to illness as to the difficulty of the course. I run at the park all the time and know folks who run both races every year. Happy to address any specific questions you have. I am again registered for this year.

Oh, and as Bark is not really a 20 mile loop, most think the 50k loop at BFC is really about 35-40 miles. And the BFC course changes a bit every year as well. But it typically still includes a load of the features from the big Bark.

the park is beautiful in every season. And very challenging no matter where you run or hike.

Okay. The fall classic doesn't count. It isn't  a 3 loop course. Just a 31 mile race instead of about 100 miles, not allowing GPS, containing a whole bunch of climbing, with no map revealed until the day before, a different course each year, and it is open to to anyone who wants to register. It's good to know you're familiar with the course. I'd be curious to know more about it.

Fron ultrasignup:

... Laz being Laz ...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I had a nurse in clinic today hear that I’m running a 50k this weekend. She asked if I’d heard of Barkley and will run it one day.

bhearn

I had a nurse in clinic today hear that I’m running a 50k this weekend. She asked if I’d heard of Barkley and will run it one day.

Well??

rlopez

Frozen Head.

The finest kind.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I mean, right?

i probably actually could play that card with Durb and Laz.

Well??

T Hound

Slower but happier

Heres another gimic event:  handful of elite runners go out at world record pace.  Could be any distance. If they cant stay on wr pace theyre pulled from the event.  Million to who breaks WR.

and Ido want to add to my prison escape race above that runners will be in prison jump suits and there will be a shackled

divison

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

People use the term gimmick when referring to Laz’s races.

Just because they are creative, atypical, and find new ways to challenge runners, I’m not sure why that makes him a gimmick.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

People use the term gimmick when referring to Laz’s races.

Just because they are creative, atypical, and find new ways to challenge runners, I’m not sure why that makes him a gimmick.

This is what fascinates me about his races.  Who the hell cares if I run 10 marathons or 100, it's still pretty much the same race.  It takes thought and imagination to strategize how to run his races (and there are other unique races out there too).  And more often than not, you'd probably get it wrong.  If I wanted 100% success rate, then I'd only run 5K's.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

If I wanted 100% success rate, then I'd only run 5K's.

Hmm. This has definitely NOT been my experience with 5k's but congrats I guess.

Runners run

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Hmm. This has definitely NOT been my experience with 5k's but congrats I guess.

LOL - I was referring to just finishing under the cutoff time of like 2 hours for a 5K .  Definitely not finishing with a fast time!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours