What do you carry for self protection when you run? (Read 628 times)

You'll be fine in Orlando; it's not really a high crime city.

True, it's only tied for 3rd with Birmingham on the list of most dangerous cities, at about 3.8x the national average crime rate per FBI statistics.

I know you guys can make it to #1 if you try!!

Runners run

LouDub

A re-purposed kitchen knife with a duct tape sheath. I tuck it in my armband with my ID and phone with the handle sticking up covered by my shirt sleeve, or a pocket knife cliped in my waistband.  Though I figure a better strategy for dogs is to just kick it than trying to grab it. I more carry a knife as a visual deterant if the situation would ever warrant it, and as a tool (to remove splinters, cut string and whatnot).

mikeez

Yeah, I mean it's not like any of these events actually happened in the Atlanta metro area in the last 2-3 weeks or anything...

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/family-releases-photo-silver-comet-trail-attack-vi/ngrqM/

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/sheriff-man-attempted-to-attack-woman-on-bartow-tr/ngwD7/

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/two-women-assaulted-while-running-suwannee/ngwJs/

...oh, wait.

This is exactly what I talking about, I live in the ATL area and seems like criminals are getting bolder with their attacks. Thank you " Run like a girl" for posting these links.

Running Rev'd

I wear a RoadID, and that's about it. I don't think too much about my safety as most of my runs are in relatively populated areas and there are at least houses around. I very rarely wear headphones so I can hear cars or anyone else approaching. I would be afraid to carry pepper spray or a gun for fear of it being used against me. In the rare case that something happens to me, I guess it is what it is. I'd rather live my life fully than run constantly in fear. You're probably much more likely to die in a car accident. Of course I get nervous when a car slows down behind me or someone yells out the window, but so far, that's the worst that's happened.

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

runlikeagirI

This is exactly what I talking about, I live in the ATL area and seems like criminals are getting bolder with their attacks. Thank you " Run like a girl" for posting these links.

No problem! I live in the Atlanta area myself and while I'll be dipped in sh*t before I let any of these wastes of life chase me to the treadmill, absolutely can't blame anyone asking this question in light of recent events.  I don't think carrying some sort of protection in the short term following a spate of attacks is 'living life constantly in fear'.

Julia1971

I think everyone should do what they feel they need to do (within the scope of the law).

I don't carry anything...  Right now, I live in the bad part of a good neighborhood.  Meaning, there is crime here but most of it is property crime - if you leave fancy stuff in your fancy car, one or both of them might not be there tomorrow.  So, I don't leave nice things in my almost 10 year old station wagon.  On weekends, drunk people get in fights.  A couple times a year, someone robs a bank or 7-11 and the cops arrest some prostitutes/Johns at the Days Inn.

But, I run in my area mostly without fear.  And I've run in 6 of the dangerous cities Mikey linked to (assuming Flint counts as Detroit and if so, I was pretty scared in Flint.  Like a lotta scared).  I think that's because I've actually lived in a BAD neighborhood my last few years of high school.  Most of the gang activity in our city was in my neighborhood and I had to walk through it and abandoned properties to get home.  So, a neighborhood has to be pretty damn sketchy to rattle me even after all these years.  (Flint, I'm looking at you.)

But, I think everyone should do what they feel they need to do (within the scope of the law).

Feeling the growl again

Keep in mind that this book is about open-carry, which needlessly threatens other law-abiding citizens and reveals the carrier's defenses to potential adversaries.  Concealed carry makes much more sense

Don't expect those looking for a convenient blanket stereotype that only confirms their pre-defined and immutable position to believe there is a continuum of beliefs and behavior, and  understand that the two groups you talk about are miles apart in their philosophy.  Heaven forbid we reveal that the most vocal, visible, and extreme of a group aren't nearly representative of the whole.

MTA:  And Julia, Flint does not count as Detroit but the two compete for honors at the top of the most-dangerous list.  In some ways Flint's situation is even more hopeless.  The only time I've run there is the Crim and even that goes through a few very sketchy areas.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Julia1971

MTA:  And Julia, Flint does not count as Detroit but the two compete for honors at the top of the most-dangerous list.  In some ways Flint's situation is even more hopeless.  The only time I've run there is the Crim and even that goes through a few very sketchy areas.

I was visiting my sister in college - she did her last years of medical school at a hospital near Flint and it was pretty depressing.  She was living in the best neighborhood she could afford on her student loans but when we drove to the hospital...  Very sad.

True, it's only tied for 3rd with Birmingham on the list of most dangerous cities, at about 3.8x the national average crime rate per FBI statistics.

I know you guys can make it to #1 if you try!!

This list is based on total crime, including burglary and car theft, which probably are not too concerning to runners.

In the list based on violent crime only, as Spaniel references, Flint edges out Detroit for the top spot. (And no Orlando.)

Dave

delicate flower

I carry water and a can-do attitude.

<3

I've never understood the American obsession with guns.

American obsessions are passed down from dentists.

Bazinga!

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Julia1971

I carry water and a can-do attitude.

Lose the water.

Yooper3.1

Don't expect those looking for a convenient blanket stereotype that only confirms their pre-defined and immutable position to believe there is a continuum of beliefs and behavior, and  understand that the two groups you talk about are miles apart in their philosophy.

I wasn't talking about groups of people; I was talking about two ways to carry a handgun.

Fanilow

Great info Spaniel...thanks! I am in Allen county. The cat knuckles are pointed but not sharp.  Honestly, I may be better off with the pepper spray (should I ever need something), since I don't have a lot of upper body strength, hitting someone with the cat may be the equivalent of them stepping on a lego. As in, only resulting in pissing them off. I hope I never need anything.

I'm in Indiana as well; good to know, though I don't plan on carrying any.  Wink

As to knives, I am not aware of any state-level restrictions in length (a switch blade-type is another matter) but if you live in Marion County:

ec. 451-1. - Sharp objects or instruments on the person.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry around or have in his manual possession or control any ice pick or similar kind of sharp instrument, other than ordinary pocketknives, and such instruments described in subsection (b) of this section, unless the object is a necessary instrument of his lawful trade or occupation or for lawful use in his home, and is actually being carried and intended to be used for use in the performance of such trade or occupation, or for use in his home.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to wear or carry in any public street or place, elevator, public vehicle or place of assemblage any hatpin, ornament or sharp or pointed object, which has an exposed point or edge of more than one-half (½Wink inch, unless the point or edge is protected with a guard so as to cover it and prevent injury to any person coming in contact therewith.

So your "cat knuckles" are illegal if the edges are sharpened, more than 1/2" long, and you carry with the points exposed.

Related to knives in Marion County, <5" and you are ok:

Sec. 451-5. - Unlawful disposition of dangerous weapons.

No person shall sell, give, barter, exchange, lend or otherwise dispose of, or place in the possession of any known or suspected habitual user of narcotics or any known or suspected criminal or a person with criminal purpose, any type of machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, pistol or revolver, or ammunition therefor, or any knucks, billy, sandbag, dagger, dirk, bowie knife or stiletto, or any spring gun, sword cane or any other dangerous weapon of any similar character, which may be carried or concealed on or about the person and which are commonly used and fit to be used unlawfully to inflict harm on or to any person; or any tools, devices or jimmies commonly used for burglary. However, ordinary pocketknives with blades not exceeding five (5) inches in length and so known and sold in legitimate trade shall not be included in the terms of this section, and the provisions of this section shall not apply to any military forces, peace officers or other persons so excepted by law for the possession, use or disposal of any such things.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

SheCan

Lots of sunscreen, sunglasses and a visor.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson