What do you carry for self protection when you run? (Read 628 times)

Docket_Rocket

This list is based on total crime, including burglary and car theft, which probably are not too concerning to runners.

In the list based on violent crime only, as Spaniel references, Flint edges out Detroit for the top spot. (And no Orlando.)

I was going to say that.  I don't live in Orlando but we don't consider Orlando a high crime city here in Florida (for homicides and other gang related stuff).  There are other worse cities in Florida, by far, like Opa Locka.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Feeling the growl again

Great info Spaniel...thanks! I am in Allen county. The cat knuckles are pointed but not sharp.  Honestly, I may be better off with the pepper spray (should I ever need something), since I don't have a lot of upper body strength, hitting someone with the cat may be the equivalent of them stepping on a lego. As in, only resulting in pissing them off. I hope I never need anything.

I believe you are correct regarding the pepper spray vs cat "knuckles".  Blinding/disorienting an attacker is going to be better than shallowly poking them.  Legally your position is much more clear as well.  You would need to check Allen County laws for more specifics; counties/cities are allowed to layer additional restrictions on top of state (as did Marion).  Run safely.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kk_kittenkat

I was going to say that.  I don't live in Orlando but we don't consider Orlando a high crime city here in Florida (for homicides and other gang related stuff).  There are other worse cities in Florida, by far, like Opa Locka.

Thanks, I'm really confused by people trying to put us off Florida.

xhristopher

When I'm running I'm most worried about drivers. Drivers on cell phones, elderly drivers, drunk drivers, tired drivers, stupid drivers... Gotta carry your wits about you.

Of all states I've run in I'd have to say Florida is among the worst. You need a car just to cross the street. Anyone who goes there, especially to run, must be nuts.

Docket_Rocket

Thanks, I'm really confused by people trying to put us off Florida.

Well, it is Florida, after all.   But you guys will have a great time visiting the land of the Mouse.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Driver, Runner, Bestie

I run with my dogs.  They are shetland sheepdogs, so not a scary breed at all.  I run on mostly isolated country roads with no traffic or people and usually before dawn.  So there is little traffic, vehicle or foot-wise.  However, when the occasional creepy car crawls by, I am glad I have those hounds.  I think they do deter people from messing with me.

My husband has a fear that coyotes/dingos/wild dogs are going to somehow ambush me, despite the shelties.  I ran with some pepper spray to make him happy for a while, but then eventually just fazed that out, too.

Dream Maker

I am in Atlanta; I carry nothing and still don't feel like I need to carry anything  -the chance of being attacked is still sooooooo low, but I did buy some pepper spray to appease someone whose opinion matters to me who developed an opinion post attacks, and will start carrying that.

True, it's only tied for 3rd with Birmingham on the list of most dangerous cities, at about 3.8x the national average crime rate per FBI statistics.

I know you guys can make it to #1 if you try!!

I wouldn't worry about it... Boston's not really a college town.

kk_kittenkat

Well, it is Florida, after all.   But you guys will have a great time visiting the land of the Mouse.

We are so much looking forward to it, mice aside.

Here's the upcoming weather forecast for Orlando...

catwhoorg

Labrat

I don't run much on the Silver Comet (well outside of races there), but do bike on it from time to time.

On a group ride (2-+adults, 2+ kids) I have literally zero fear of any incident. When I'm hitting it after work some afternoons, and riding solo, there is obviously a higher risk but not enough of a worry to actively deter me,

Whilst both the serious assaults on the trail have been against single females, the biggest number of attacks (Basically robberies) has been against single male (and white) bike riders. Probably related to the sheer volume of them.

The simple fact of the matter is that if I felt I had to be armed to feel safe, I would run and ride elsewhere. My more typical after work rides, are probably far more risky, and the risk there is being involved in an accident. I love the comet for its traffic free nature, especially once you head out of Cobb, the relative isolation and quiet is what I am seeking out.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Fanilow

I am not afraid of being attacked, I carry things in case I am. I don't have any other way to fight back. My fists are useless.

Mostly, I run with other people. When I do run alone, I run on well populated bike/running trails. However, there are times (like in the winter when only us die hards are out there) when I can see myself in a potentially dangerous situation. Not dangerous, but the potential is there for me to be alone (well, except for the attacker/raper/whatever) and not close enough to a neighborhood or other people to scream for help. Those are the times I carry pepper spray and/or a knife.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

#artbydmcbride

I carry ilene.

You are safe with me, Stevie Ray! 

Runners run

evanflein

When I'm running I'm most worried about drivers. Drivers on cell phones, elderly drivers, drunk drivers, tired drivers, stupid drivers... Gotta carry your wits about you.

Absolutely! I've never really felt in danger when I run except from bad, inattentive or impaired drivers, and DOGS. I run alone, and I run when I travel. It's the best way to see a new place! The only time I felt somewhat uncomfortable was in Memphis, but only a couple times. But the number of times I've almost been clipped by a car is too many to count.

Oh, yeah, and having Ilene with you is probably a good idea. Smile

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I don't worry about being attacked on my runs.  My running partner looks out for me.  And I carry my cell phone and pepper spray.

Leah, mother of dogs