What do you carry for self protection when you run? (Read 628 times)

Runner Mike

A condom..Tongue

Cyberic

Nothing. Although it is not impossible to get attacked in Montreal, I never even give it a thought.

240 pounds...

This is what I'm considering: Dog Deterrent.
          Appears to be reasonably legal in Canada, as long as you use it on dogs. Sold at Canadian Tire.
          Too many close calls where people take their dogs off the leash.

Sabre Dog Spray

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/sports-rec/hunting/knives-multi-tools-sharpeners/knives/sabre-dog-deterrent-clear-case-spray-0751433p.html?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default#.U_SZavm-2nA

bap

I carry cash in a Road-ID pouch. I usually run in Central Park, which is the safest precinct in the safest big city in the US but I often run in Riverside Park at night and don't feel threatened at all. It's probably different for a woman but I see lots of them running alone.

There are a few homeless guys but they're not threatening and after a while you start to recognize them.

The last encounter with a dog was when a pit-bull on a leash lunged at me. I shouted "good boy", grabbed it by the shoulders and started rubbing its back vigorously. The owner apologized profusely. 

Certified Running Coach
            Crocked since 2013

running metalhead

A very foul mouth and a great thesaurus of swearings in four langauges Wink

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
              - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
              - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
              - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
              - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
              - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Feeling the growl again

I bet the holster is awkward...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

joeyboots

I carry a fist sized rock in each hand. They sometimes accidentally fall out of my hands when drivers don't pay attention. 

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

Yes. If its dark out  a head lap and maybe some reflective gear. But whether its dark or light, I usually have one of my dogs. a RAZOR sharp folding knife, and a good knowledge of the sweet spots on the human body (God bless Anatomy!).

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K

#artbydmcbride

The way to a man's heart is through the third and fourth ribs.......

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ilene is the first person to truly frighten me on this thread.  Well done.

and if you can't get through to him that way, I learned a lot about other targets at tonight's Run Safer seminar presented by our local running store. Carrying  any kind of spray is good - unless the wind is going to blow it back into your face... Highly recommend attending if you get a chance. No affiliation - just impressed with the presentation.

http://www.runsafer.com/

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                              Thyroid Support Group

A very foul mouth and a great thesaurus of swearings in four langauges Wink

Me too. --- And I have had the odd occurrence (when running after dark and with a hat on) where some dudes in a car apparently thought  I was a female.   Once I spoke... ("Fvck off" I think I said?), they were outta there.

So now I just run with no hat.  Clearly half-bald, I return to being the invisible man to everyone.  No protection needed. :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞