progressive runs (Read 1311 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I'm in week 5 of an 18 week marathon training schedule based primarily on pfitz's 18/55 plan with some Daniels stuff thrown in. I plan on doing most (probably 2/3) of my long runs progressively - starting out easy and doing 2-4 speed increases so I finish the last 2-4 miles at or close to marathon race pace. Would you reccomend doing my medium/long runs this way as well? Some of them? All of them? I plan on trying this out tonight on my 10 miler and seeing how it feels. I figure trying it out and seeing how my body reacts is the best way to go. If it isn't too stressful, I'll continue doing it. If it is, I won't. If anyone has tried this, I'd love to hear about your experience with it.
    mikeymike

I do them all the time on long runs and mid-long runs. Best ROI of any run out there. I find the recovery is minimal compared to what you get out of it, and it's good mental practice for racing.

Runners run

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I do them all the time on long runs and mid-long runs. Best ROI of any run out there. I find the recovery is minimal compared to what you get out of it, and it's good mental practice for racing.
        Cool. My fitness has improved over the last several weeks and I’ve really enjoyed running fast once per week on my tempo run. Was hoping to do more fast running, but didn’t want to beat myself up to the point my other runs would suffer. Sounds like this is a good way to mix things up a bit, do some fast running, get some pretty good gains in fitness, and still be able to hit my other workouts well.

Why is it sideways?

I agree w/ mikeymike. They're the bread-and-butter of my training. In fact, they are my default run. I have to plan easy days and interval work. Everything else is progression. One thing to think about as you incorporate progressive running into your training is that you've got to let the progression come to you. If I feel like I'm forcing it, then I just keep it easy. Doing them right requires listening to your body, and practicing that is the greatest gift you can give yourself as a runner.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Also excellent training for running negative splits.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

SMART Approach

Mr Inertia, If you are running faster two times per week, then on your long run (only if feeling good should you pick up pace). Listen to your body. I am low miles and do faster stuff in my long run and one other run per week. Other days are easy. One other day per week within a mid week long run it is great to mix in faster running like tempo intervals or marathon pace miles. This is great for marathon training. Certainly another day you can also do this also but I would caution 3 harder days unless you have your miles up. I see your log is generally 30-40 miles per week. Just remember, hard days are hard and easy days are easy. I don't think it is wise to have hard running in most runs per week (which I don't believe you are). I agree with the above and think your approach is fine as long as you don't push the pace and finishing at marathon pace progressively won't fry you.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Thanks everyone. I'm just now starting to learn to train by feel, not only within a specific run, but on my overall training schedule. I was originally thinking a tempo run or cruise interval, a progressive medium/long run and a progressive long run would make for a good week when mixed with easy and recovery mileage. While I feel quite good after last night's progressivce run, 3 days of hard running per week does seem like it might be a bit much for me for now. For now I think I'll focus on making the long runs progressive and the med/long runs steady until I feel I can handle doing both progressively.

The Greatest of All Time

I will add to this discussion by explaining a long run method I sort of stumbled upon, which flies in the face of the old standard training philosophy. First of all, due to extreme cold weather I have been doing long runs on a treadmill where pace is easily controlled. With that said, the last few weeks I have set aside two hours on Saturday morning to do a long run. Week 1 I might run the first hour at 7:30 pace and the second hour at 7:00 pace. Then the next Saturday I would run the first hour at 7:00 pace and the second hour at 6:30 pace. So each week the total distance increases about 1-1.5 miles but your overall speed is increasing at the same time because you set a maximum amount of time to run in, and lately for me it's been two hours. After a few weeks I will top out on speed and so to add more distance I will increase the total time to 2:15, work with that for a few weeks increasing pace each week. Then I will go up to 2:30 and do the same thing. Now this may be too hard on some legs, but I run a lot of miles with a ton of speedwork so may legs are used to it. I regularly negative split every run by increasing the pace every 5, 10, or 20 minutes depending on how long I am running. This trains your legs to maintain and increase speed when you are fatigued and so at the end of a race when everyone is else struggling you still have a gear or two left and can finish very strong. For example this morning I ran one hour. The first 20 minutes at 7:04 pace, the second 20 minutes at 6:40 pace, and the last 20 minutes at 6:19 pace. Total distance was 9 miles. I do these types of runs almost every day at different speeds. I think I started doing them because I get bored running on a treadmill at the same speed. If you're a beginner and just trying to complete a long distance event, then I DO NOT recommend this method. But if you're an experienced runner and you want to get faster this will work.
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Feeling the growl again

You can get even more creative. I think the BEST way to do long runs for most people is progressive. Med/long runs are more flexible. I think you can run them progressively or as long intervals and get a lot of benefit (ie, 2-3X15min ON/5min OFF). I have tried such things with long runs, but they tend to be brutal -- I once did 2 mile warmup, then 5 miles-4-3-2-1 @ MP(range 5:25-5:27) with 1 mile 7min pace recover in between for a 20-miler -- and in the end I'm not sure I got much more than I would have from a solid med/long run. I've also done the last 10 miles of a 20-miler at MP (5:25) and a straight 15-miler at MP (5:27) and that sucked. In the end I think I paid more for those workouts than I got out of them. Now I'll run them at a solid but relatively easy pace and crank it out over the last 5-6 miles and call it good. If long runs are the most OVER-rated component of marathon training, the med/long runs are the most UNDER-rated.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I was interested in your post and wanted to wait until you got some feedback before I posted a similar but different thought. (careful not to hijack your thread). Anyone have an opinion on the training benefit of a progressive run that ends in a tempo pace between 10k and 13.1? It would be shorter than Mr. Inertia's Medium Long Run. It would be more like a 8 miler with first couple easy,,, move up to MP and finish the final 3 at a Tempo Pace. I have a course in mind for this and want to give it a try to get tempo work in while also adding more miles to my week.

Why is it sideways?

As you can see by the folks who have replied on this thread, most (all?) of whom are really experienced runners, progression runs take a lot of experience and familiarity with the sensations of running to get right. I would hesitate to think about the progression run in terms of particular paces or physiological concepts like LT or VO2max, and really concentrate on the "feel" that you are looking for. I've heard it described variously as "the smoothness factor," "the groove," "the flow," etc., but basically it's trying to tap into and practice a sense of relaxed efficiency at a fast pace, the feeling that we all have when "things come together" or we have one of those mysterious races when we run our best time, but hardly even hurt. All this sounds fairly mystical and vague, but if you've experienced it, you know what I'm talking about. This is the article that in my opinion best explains how to do a progression run, the feel you're looking for, and the sorts of paces and physiological states that accompany it. The article aimed at a more advanced runner (I think he uses the example of a 15:00 5ker), so bear that in mind when he's talking about the paces. I didn't learn how to do a progression run from that article. I learned that the way my body wanted to run was called a "progression run." In a sense, I think that the progression run is the antidote to a running culture addicted to the numerology that passes itself off as training advice.
                        Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Wow, tons of great info from some highly accomplished runners. Thanks a ton. Due to weather, I've been doing the bulk of my training on the TM. I find it particularly difficult to run by feel. I tend to dial in my pace and run that regardless of how I'm feeling (within reason). Looking forward to warmer weather so I can put some of this input to good use. Spaniel - I agree about the underrated med/long runs. I realized that after running my first marathon with so much emphasis on the long run. Fortuantely, I've really grown to like the med/long runs. 10-12 miles is my favorite distance to run.

Feeling the growl again

It IS difficult to run by feel on a treadmill. Or even with a GPS if you look at it too often. Progression runs should, ideally, be run by feel. It is too hard to match paces from races, it all depends how you feel that day and what conditions are like.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SMART Approach

Andre... You must remember that 3 miles at true hard tempo pace is a work out in its own right. For a top athlete this may mean only 15 minutes and the other miles of progression would be fine but still a good work out. Not sure of your level of fitness and miles per week, but 8 miles of faster work with the last 3 at hard tempo would be extremely tough for most runners. If you want to end with 3 miles hard then do a 5 mile tempo - warm up and progress miles one and two and then 3 miles hard tempo. If your fitness and miles per week support a 8 mile faster run, then progress from steady for a mile to marathon pace for 5-6 miles and last 1-2 miles at tempo depending on how you feel. You wouldn't want to push to get to that hard tempo pace. Going by feel would be best as mentioned above. Until we know more about you, it is tough to make a true recommendation.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Tchuck - Thanks for the reply. But don't sweat it, I wasn't really looking for a recommendation as much as i was playing off the original post to see if others have tried Progressive Runs that end faster than MP. I don't know what you mean my 'hard' tempo,, but I would not think of 10k or half marathon pace as hard tempo. Maybe 5k? I agree with your suggestion about running by feel. I am grateful to Jeff for sharing the article. I've been running for over 25 years. Like almost every post here, I get caught up in this many miles at that pace,, that many at this pace and so on. Jeff's comments and the article are good wake-up to the intrinsic reasons that I run and a reminder of the best runs of my life.