What and when to eat? (Read 463 times)

ScuderiaBirel

Nxt Amrcn F1 Chmp

Hey Guys, What a terrific forum! Big grin Well, im 16 and haveIve been running for about 8 months on and off but never took it very serious, now I am very serious and determind. Most times when I run, a few minutes into it my sides of my upper waist acke or cramp. My biology teacher says its caused by oxygen in the blood being faught over to use in muscles or digest food. If true, what are good foods to eat before running? and how long before running? Thank you very much!
    "You cannot be afraid, if you are afraid you shouldnt be in racing" Luca Luhr

Lazy idiot

This could also be a side stitch. Those usually happen for me on my right side. I can do one of two things to alleviate the pain. 1) Slow down the pace. 2) Try to inhale/exhale in between footfalls. Some think that the side stitch is your liver pulling on your diaphragm, and that this will help keep things "in place." I don't know if that's true or not, or whether it helps from some placebo effect. I hope you find what works for you.

Tick tock

Beatin' on the Rock

I try to eat at least an hour before a run. Two hours if it's going to be HARD or fast. I eat a mini cinnamon raisin bagel, or yogurt with Grape Nuts on it, or even just a banana. When I get back from a run, I try to eat a smoothie, or a glass of OJ right away. For me, stitches disappear if I slow down and breathe deeply for a minute or two. Good luck!
        Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
          Side stitches are muscle cramps in your diaphragm. They can be eased by deep "belly" breathing and/or slowing your pace until they subside. They can also be caused by eating before you run. The food in your stomach can interfere with the movement of the diaphragm and cause it to cramp. Unless you are planning on a run of marathon distance or longer, there is no physiological need to eat before you run. Your body has enough fuel stored in it's muscles and liver to allow you to literally run for hours. Eating before a shorter run is like topping off the gas tank in your car for a trip to the corner store. Tom