Running in the bike lane: recent death (Read 1170 times)

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

A local runner was hit by a car and killed this weekend while running in the bike lane: http://www.ocregister.com/news/bake-parkway-1991108 This happened in Southern California, and according to the article: "Authorities urge joggers to use sidewalks if they are there. It is actually illegal to use a bike lane when a sidewalk is an option. But runners prefer to exercise on asphalt roads rather than concrete because the surface is softer. There was a sidewalk where the accident occurred." Personally, I've often run early in the morning (in the dark) in a bike lane facing traffic on a busy street like the one in the article. I'd wear reflective gear and a headlamp, but I don't think that would help when the driver isn't even looking. Anyway, after reading this story, I think I'll stick to the sidewalk now, even though my joints won't appreciate the extra stress.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

That is really sad. Sounds like the man who ran into her is truly remorseful also. Cry
      ---- Cynthia
        The sidewalk is not necessarily a safer option, especially where there are a lot of cross streets. Every one of those crossings is a potential conflict with traffic, especially traffic turning left off a side street. I prefer to be on the shoulder or the road itself, traffic permitting, where I can see and be seen. It all boils down to the fact that if you are running near traffic you need to be acutely aware of your surroundings. It can be difficult to determine in the dark if an approaching car is on a collision course with you or not and having your ears plugged with headphones doesn't make it any easier. The fact that this person was running in a bike lane has no relevance. They simply dropped their guard or misjudged their surroundings and paid the ultimate price. If you take a look at the area on gmaps you'll notice that the eastbound side of Bake Parkway is tree lined and curving. That gave both the driver and the runner less time to see each other and react. Be careful out there. Tom
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What a terrible tragedy. This is one of the things I hate most about Winter running...no clear sidewalks and the rail-trail is snow-covered and the domain of snowmobiles. I will feel SO much safer when I can run off the roads for a few months. I had more than a few close calls this Winter...those situations where had I been 20-30 seconds ahead of myself I would have been roadkill thanks to drivers driving too fast for conditions or weaving around on the road.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Personally, I've often run early in the morning (in the dark) in a bike lane facing traffic on a busy street like the one in the article. I'd wear reflective gear and a headlamp, but I don't think that would help when the driver isn't even looking.
            I spent a lot of time running in your neck of the woods last spring (mostly in Newport Beach and Palos Verdes to the north) and at first I loved all the sidewalks and crosswalks and bike lanes. It never ceased to amaze how well California drivers actually paid attention to the regs. People actually stop for runners standing at crosswalks; they actually yield to pedestrians. A couple times I had people actually squeal their brakes because I put my foot in the crosswalk and they were in such a hurry to stop. Scared the crap outta me. At least once somebody screeched to a stop when I just looked at a crosswalk; I wasn't even planning on crossing the street. If you step into a crosswalk in Tennessee, you're just going to die. Quickly. Nobody yields to pedestrians here. Nobody. They'll run you over and probably blame you. (Here's a challenge for Nashvillians: try to find a car to yield to you when you're crossing Old Hickory between PWP and EWP at that nicely marked crosswalk with the big sign. Maybe if you're cute and female, you'll have better luck.) So I loved running in Southern Cali until I saw a runner in front of me almost get hit for all the same reasons that I loved it - specifically, runners get so used to the bike lanes and the obedient yielding drivers and all that that they assume its safe. I saw a girl almost get hit because she just ran right into the crosswalk without even looking - which would have been safe 99% of the time - but she picked the one time out of 100. A young kid almost ran her down and actually had to swerve up onto the sidewalk (there's some irony for you). I swear it might be safer here, just because every time I go out I realize I'm taking my life in my hands and nobody is going to be yielding. When I cross a street, I know for a fact that any cars present will kill me if I don't yield to them. When I'm running in the road, I assume idiots coming at me will wander across the line and onto the shoulder. That assumption has saved me a few times. And I always take my iPod off at a few specific corners.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Feeling the growl again

This is why I gave up road biking, if she'd been on a bike she'd be just as dead and would never have seen it coming as she'd have been hit from behind. Wrong place, wrong time. I've had to jump out of the way of someone crossing onto the shoulder (and yes, once, a sidewalk) several times over the years and lost count of the close calls at sidewalks. Even on the deserted country roads I pound now there is occasionally something that makes me think, my wife had some words with the friend of a neighbor who almost ran me down a month ago (his excuse was I didn't jump into the ditch when he wanted to go by and a car was coming the other way...didn't feel he should have to slow down or make any yield to a runner). Bottom line is it's a dangerous sport and they ARE all out to get you. If you aren't paranoid, your chances of getting hurt are much higher.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I run for Fried Chicken!

So sad to hear about the runner. I live in Los Angeles and the area I'm living in right now has heavy traffic all around and the residential streets tend to be really narrow so I don't feel safe running on the streets there. That's part of the reason why I've been running on the TM so much. I constantly feel like I'm on edge running around the streets. I pass by a lot of little streets feeding into main streets, driveways with high hedges so I can't see cars backing out, alleyways, etc. I'm constantly slowing down or doing a double step to make sure someone is going to stop for me. I sometimes feel like I'm a running back in a football game, trying to anticipate where the defender is coming from. haha It was much better in my old neighborhood, much less traffic, wide residential streets so I could run on the street and not worry about a car passing by too closely.
                JakeKnight

This is why I gave up road biking, if she'd been on a bike she'd be just as dead and would never have seen it coming as she'd have been hit from behind. Wrong place, wrong time.
                  Biking is just insane. I see bikers flirt with death every day, just trusting that the people on the tiny two lane freeway with traffic flying in both directions are all paying careful attention to what they're doing. It's crazy. At least runners have a shot at seeing it coming and jumping out of the way.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

I used to bike a lot more than I do now but after several crashes and close calls it's not so much fun anymore. Bad stuff happens a LOT faster on cycling than on foot. A cyclist was just killed in a Chicago race trying to occupy the same space as an SUV. I guess the SUV won. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-biker_fatal_26feb26,0,533633.story Tom
                      Wow, that's really scary. I run on country roads with little or no shoulder. I would never run with an iPod. You have to be on your toes at all times. There are a few blind turns with guard rails, that I HAVE to cross to the other side, and sometimes it's for a long stretch. I feel much safer facing traffic. Even though much of the time, there is no place to ditch if I have to..

- Anya

I dont think I would ever consider biking in any sort of traffic. A good friend of ours lost her first husband in a biking accident - he was training for a triathalon and got run over.
                        ---- Cynthia
                        milkbaby

I just assume every car out there is not simply blind to me but out to try and hit me. It's when you let your guard down that accidents happen (and that's not only in running!). Very sad news...
                          "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
                          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Be careful out there. Tom
                            That sums it up about the best. Every running option comes with certain risks. Keep your wits about you, run defensively and hope God is generous enough to fill in the blanks with good luck. Had a guy swerve towards me on Saturday's run while flipping me off and cursing at me. Always a sad story when someone dies in the field.
                            Ringmaster

This is a lot of the reason I do so much of my running on the dreadmill . . . One of my friends was narrowly missed by a driver who ended up hitting a tree . . . when she went to check on the driver, the woman said, "I had to swerve to miss a squirrel." Guess what? My friend was the squirrel she thought she saw. It's scary in Florida--there's no yielding to runners, pedestrians, or cyclists. Unless it's broad daylight and you're on the sidewalk, it's just downright dangerous.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                              Mile by Mile

Lisa3.1

That's too bad. Yes, do be careful.