2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Katia77

Lauren! - i've totally followed along here I promise, but have just been apparently intractably behind. Such is my life. Congrats on the race!!!

Dwave - congrats to you too!! II will say it again -- 'm so happy that you're racing into your 40s and with asthma. Gives me hope because I can't seem to string any actual training together.

Ilana - totally great to see you here still and running!

Buses - so, I now live a whole 2 miles away from my office. Confession: I drive. But my husband now drives a Tesla - does that count for something?

On that note --  some of you that follow me on social media may have seen I ran a 1:34:58 ( I think) half last weekend. Which, I'll take 7 months postpartum and working a new job.  Not pictured: the fact that I was traveling for work the Wed-Friday before that, got back at 4:30 pm (hungover, because I'm an idiot) on Friday, and pulled that off on 9 hours of sleep over the course of 2 days (see above - total moron). I've been running 20-30 mpw because well, life. I can't even blame it on having 2 young kids, because it hasn't really been harder than one, but my schedule has just been nuts for a lot of reasons. That said, I'm somewhat motivated to try to pull 40 mpw together to see if I can race a full in January or February.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Haha rovatti I think I took a crosstown bus exactly twice - M34 to go to Javits to get NYCM bib (pre-hudson yards!), and it was so slow I got out to walk, and then the M60 to go to LGA. But now I would totally take the M14 Wink  Love reading about those types of improvements, and really hope it spreads to here.

I am big  on Bay Wheels, that's our local version of Motivate's bikeshare. Same bikes, docks, app, etc. But you guys are getting protected lanes a lot faster than we are.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Katia77

Rlk random question but is SF riddled with the electric scooters and if so, what is your opinion on those? I have yet to use one but think they look fun, lol.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Katia- Riddled, not quite. They are extremely highly regulated (if only cars were regulated as much as scooters..!) so they are only in certain geofenced areas, in limited #s, and only by certain operators. I've used them a handful of times but I personally prefer bikeshare just cuz then I can hold something in my hand, they have a basket to more easily carry stuff, etc. They are fun though! And they're inherently pretty safe (just require some practice to feel very comfortable - just like biking or driving do).

The conflicts that arise are when 1) people ride them on sidewalks, and 2) when people park them in the middle of sidewalks. (1) happens because our streets are such car sewers that some folks do not feel safe to scooter on the streets, which is sad. Politicians don't seem to want to address that root cause, but instead cite this issue as a reason to limit scooter #s. (2) has been solved pretty well b/c SF has a requirement that scooters have a "lock-to" device, so like a little cable to lock it to a bike rack, and you must do that when end your ride or you continue to get charged. And they are slowly installing more bike racks to help with this.

I  have some friends who live or work 1-2mi from their train or bus station, so they've bought their own electric scooters to help with that last mile. You could do your entire commute on one (most seasons anyway) - would be fast and fun Smile

SLC has scooters too? What do you think?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sooo interesting. I went to a wedding in the Oakland hills a few Fridays ago (just to clarify the ~oakland hills~ vibe, median home price in that neighborhood is like $2.2M) and took a transbay bus to get there. It's sorta an "express" bus in that it starts at the SF transit center and then doesn't make any stops until it gets to this specific neighborhood of Oakland. I was wearing a dress and heels and all that and felt extremely at ease sitting next to a bunch of clean-cut commuters. But I'm sure one bus bay over, where the bus stops in oakland proper and doesn't go in hill, could definitely be a different vibe.

I guess when you can afford a $2 million dollar home in the hills it is a struggle to justify purchasing a private method of transportation. Simply have the public transportation agency provide one for you. I'm sure the population density serviced by this direct line into SF makes it a struggle to design. #havingabaddayatwork Hey did you notice the packet pickup for CIM is changing, along with some of the bus routes to the start?

I hated waiting for carpool and dealing with someone else's schedule so I opted to drive myself to work now. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes not finding out on Friday "I'll be gone all next week" for a business trip planned over a month ago, or "hey can you drive today" and end up driving all week ruins your attitude because it's introducing a lack of control. It's also amazing how much leaving 5-10 minutes before the absolutely LAST second makes driving yourself to work at the speed limit an easy task. The bus arriving late is out of my control. Riding the bus is within my control. Just like my opinion of people on the bus is within my control. I believe there were some higher ups (like CEO level) who rode the bus home. I think it offered them some quiet time alone to think, while still working.  Much like riding a train.

katia A 1:34 hungover...not EVEN shocked. #D1Athlete. Daughter looks like she's doing well.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Katia- Riddled, not quite. They are extremely highly regulated (if only cars were regulated as much as scooters..!)

Differing experiences.  Here, they are not well regulated.  And, in my experience, nowhere near as well regulated as cars...

• It's illegal to drive a car on a sidewalk.
              • It's illegal to park a car blocking someone's driveway
              • It's illegal to park a car blocking a wheelchair ramp
              • It's illegal to operate a car without a license, which requires passing a minimum competency test.

None of the above apply to scooters in my area, apparently.  And it shows.

Those things scare me.  I appreciate the theory behind them, and I'm all for environmental options.  But these scooters are dangerous to pedestrians in my area - people just haphazardly speed down sidewalks buzzing people, or go flying around blind corners with no thought as to what is on the other side. And then they just dump the scooters wherever when they're done - nothing like having to dodge a collection of abandoned scooters while trying to run at marathon pace on the bike trail.  They obey none of the rules applicable to pedestrians, bikes, or cars.

The only saving grace is that the scooter companies have recently realized that they are making a loss in our area, and so they have been force to jack the prices way up, which is dramatically reducing the use.  I have no problem with this.  I'd much rather see people on bikes. There's some minimal level of competency required to ride a bike, which generally also translates into some thought for those whom you share the sidewalk or road with.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Differing experiences.  Here, they are not well regulated.  And, in my experience, nowhere near as well regulated as cars...

• It's illegal to drive a car on a sidewalk.
                • It's illegal to park a car blocking someone's driveway
                • It's illegal to park a car blocking a wheelchair ramp
                • It's illegal to operate a car without a license, which requires passing a minimum competency test.

None of the above apply to scooters in my area, apparently.  And it shows.

Do these apply to bikes as well as scooters, or just the scooters you rent by the minute? My neighbor just bought an electric scooter off Amazon so I'd be curious to know if it somehow was magically NOT enforced on privately owned scooters. As for the lack of a license...a coworker once called them the "DUI Special" because you can buy a 49cc scooter that goes like 25 mph, doesn't require a helmet, registration, insurance, or a license and be 100% legal. Great option for those who might have had their driving privileges revoked.

Full disclosure: I owned a 1999 Yamaha Zuma. I drove it to work around 5am in winter time wearing my snowboard gear. I could get to work for a week on like $5 vs $40-50 in my truck at the time. I think the biggest danger were people who operated motor vehicles as though the rules of the road (speed limits, right of way, bike lanes, etc.) didn't apply to them. Assholes come in all shapes and models. I'm a short fat angry one. 

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2019/04/02/lime-bikes-photographed-reno-scrap-yard-after-no-deal-city/3343638002/

Lake Tahoe doesn't like them either. yeah it's a year old. People still don't care since __________.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/06/20/electric-scooters-south-lake-Tahoe/

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Those things scare me.  I appreciate the theory behind them, and I'm all for environmental options. 

Delurking to say that you've basically described my experience with bicyclists in Manhattan, especially electric ones. They run every red light and you, as a pedestrian (or runner) need to get out of their way. My favorite comeback from them is always "but what about cars, they're so much more dangerous, especially to bikers!" Not sure how that's relevant at all to whether bikers are dangerous to pedestrian. It's especially terrifying when you're running, as these bikers are often trying to weave around people walking, and they're not anticipating someone running across the intersection (with the light) and so I've been almost hit many times.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Delurking to say that you've basically described my experience with bicyclists in Manhattan, especially electric ones. They run every red light and you, as a pedestrian (or runner) need to get out of their way. My favorite comeback from them is always "but what about cars, they're so much more dangerous, especially to bikers!" Not sure how that's relevant at all to whether bikers are dangerous to pedestrian. It's especially terrifying when you're running, as these bikers are often trying to weave around people walking, and they're not anticipating someone running across the intersection (with the light) and so I've been almost hit many times.

"At least with the car I'm more likely to die so I don't have to deal with cyclists who are only concerned with themselves."

Just throw a rod into their front wheel spokes and they'll stop (literally) worrying about someone running across an intersection with the right of way.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Scooters - Never used one myself. Somewhat regulated here (no riding on sidewalks, etc.), but they don't seem to be much of a problem. They're typically even parked in neat lines in the typical downtown areas. Lime scooters are common, but I don't recall seeing any of the Bird ones for a while - maybe they've pulled out of the OKC area.
                      Even the OKC and Tulsa metro areas are too spread out/low population density for public transportation to make huge impacts here.
                      Not that that stopped a new streetcar system from going in downtown. I've never seen too many people riding on one, and it's part of the reason the OKC marathon was rerouted this past spring - and will be for next year as well.

Brew - Modern problems require modern solutions! 

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - Modern problems require modern solutions! 

Sticks are kind of ancient. I think they predate bicycles but I wasn't there when the wheel was first invented sooooooooooooo….

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Just throw a rod into their front wheel spokes and they'll stop (literally) worrying about someone running across an intersection with the right of way.

looks like a good time to start lurking again! wow.

Katia77

Rlk - we have a lot of Lime scooters. i haven't done one yet bc.. I'm really a klutz. It's bad. Cant' disagree with you on the last post..

Dwave - i actually don't know about the regulations re: scooters. I haven't felt them to be a huge problem, and they seem widely used but SLC is much

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm really a klutz.

Says the retired elite gymnast....

And RLK, please don't go (same for you, Katia77).

I was actually going to jump in here with my observation that 19 out of 20 cyclists that I interact with are great to share the road or trail with.  And then I basically got run off the trail this morning during the last mile of my long run....

scenario: 10 foot wide multi-use trail.  I am running west bound, staying to my far right.    Approaching me, going east bound are a slow cyclist and a runner, both staying to their right.  As it turns out, the slow cyclist is going to be passing the east bound runner on her inside at the same time she and I run past each other.  That's fine and safe - trail's wide enough for all 3 of us.

However, there is not enough room for the second east bound cyclist, who (traveling at a fairly high rate of speed and approaching me) decides to try to squeeze through the middle - passing the slow cyclist and the east bound runner by trying to fit between the slow cyclist and myself.

And, of course, presented with an oncoming cyclist biking at me at a high rate of speed, I stepped off the trail into the grass and dropped a few F-bombs her way.

I'm still pissed about that one.

But...I'll also put her into my 1 out of 20 cyclists suck rule.  The other 19 are still great to me.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

kcam

I find DW's ratio of 'good' to 'bad' cyclists to be about right.  They're mostly fine upstanding co-users of the paths (just like most of us runners).  Has anyone here ever run the American River trail from Sacramento up to Folsom Lake?  I ran there once early on a Sunday morning and I have never been so skeered for my life on a bikepath before!  Apparently, that early in the morning the local bike clubs/groups use the path as training rides, and they ride FAST.  Runners are to stay on the LEFT soft shoulder of the trail (whatever direction you are going).  Bikers and skaters stay on the pavement to the RIGHT of the yellow line.  So it can be a little confusing in traffic what you're supposed to be doing.  Before I could pass someone I had to look far enough ahead to make sure there were no bikers coming at 20mph+!  It was very nerve wracking and I don't think I will run that trail again.  They must have a lot of collisions on the trail because I noticed that just this year a law (yes a 'law') was passed that requires you to stay on the trail until authorities get there if you have a collision.  I guess hit and run collisions were a problem there. Crazy.