2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Dwave that’s a funny email.

Lauren nice week. I have no concept of finishing runs before sports, but I once rushed through the last three miles of a long run to make it to swim lessons.

my week: 70 miles. Three workouts and a too fast mid week run. All the workouts went great and I hammered out a 20 miler (those still sick) with what I’ll end up wearing and carrying on race day. Nice weather plus morning swim lessons shifted the weekend runs to the afternoon and the 20 miler was probably as close to race day as I could simulate because I hadn’t eaten breakfast for four or more hours before I started. The last mile was tough and my original plan was to be slower and do 3 hours.

28 day run streak and it’s still 10 miles a day (I have no idea how *sarcasm*). I’m almost 100 miles above the annual goal so I only need about 4 miles a day. Weird weather is keeping it warmer this fall which really helps training and yet it’s still REALLY cold for all my runs. The easy run today and Friday felt physically harder than marathon pace which is weird because it’s so much slower and I expected it to feel easier.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Triathlon1

Along with triathlon-particular motorcycles, you could additionally recall a street time trial bike. Triathlon Shop Even a regular avenue motorbike with clip-on aero bars will do the trick in case you aren’t equipped to take the plunge and buy an entire new motorcycle.

berylrunner

Rick

101 miles and 13000 gain for the week.  Around 20% walk/hike miles within the runs.

Started the week with vertical in mind because of a running club challenge.  Mid week I had my big outing of 39 miles in Zion.  I call it the West Zion Traverse.   The full traverse is not possible because of a rock slide closing trails.  One guy in the group struggled with a chest cold and really slowed the pace.  Fine with me, I enjoyed the scenery and had no issues.   Perfect weather.

Felt so good the next day I did another 14 miles in Zion.  Nobody challenged me for vertical the rest of the week so I switched to more miles with hitting 100 in mind.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rovatti - Good job getting in another solid week.

DWave - That is funny "I got hit by a truck so I'm delaying taking some vacation"... Ha! It's been good seeing you post those runs. I trust the recovery is still going well.

Lauren - Good week. Looking forward to you sub-20 attempt.

Brew - Great job knocking out big miles and getting in that 20!

Beryl - Wow, great volume this past week!

91 miles for me last week. Almost all easy runs since I ran that half Sunday, with only a quick 3T on Thursday. Back to two workouts this week and looking to get 90+ miles again. 34 days to go...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Katia77

Brew - what's really cold out there in Reno? It was in the teens 2 weeks ago here which is ridiculous.

Dwave - really hope things are improving, and totally agree that it's not worth pushing especially if shoulder surgery is a risk.

Lauren - really good week! totally still enjoying the time before organized activities..

Oh look I finally have a week to post:

M: 2.1 @ 8:15

T: off

W: 5 @8:17

Th: 7.8 @ 8:48

F: 2.9 @ 7:23

Sat: 17 @ 9:04

Sun: off

Total: 34.8

Kinda all over the place, but coming along I think. I meant to do a longer tempo on Friday but had to be an hour away a half hour earlier than I expected. I have a funeral to go to this week out of town, so will have to front and back load my week but nothing new.. just trying to get around 40 and see how I feel. I think my breastfeeding metabolism is going away (happened with my son, too) so I can't eat 3,000+ calories a day anymore without gaining weight, but I think I'm catching it this time before I'm up 5 lbs.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Finishing runs:  I do a lot of my runs on a loop that has my home at one end, and the yoga studio in the center, with plenty of options for cutting through.  That way, I can go for a run, keeping an eye on my watch, and just modify the route on the fly to end up with an on-time arrival.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Katia: recently anything 50 and below feels REALLY cold. Today was 53 with no breeze and I wanted some gloves for the first 30 minutes and I was wearing my long sleeve shirt from CIM. I think I’m just extra sensitive/annoyed with cold hands at any time. Maybe it’s because my heart rate was measuring 120 beats per minute and not the expected/usual 150 so I wasn’t generating any heat. It’s weird and annoying. Come real winter it will dip under 20 and during January - April training it was regularly 25-35 on my long runs and my hands never seemed to warm up. I even bought new gloves from Costco claiming they were “warmest” for running and my hands have still felt cold. So I’ll bring a pair of thin gloves to start CIM like I had in 2016 and store them at some point. Oh and sorry if the post about nike athletics pissed you off. I also have no understanding of what kind of mom strength you have to be breastfeeding, pumping, and running 40 miles a week. That’s some elite level energy.

Beryl: DUDE WHAT?!?!?!?! Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmnn!

triathelon1: who is talking about motorcycles?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Katia77

Fwiw, I don't love those gloves either. But it's been in 30s here. Boo.

Luckily I don't get easily offended, and I sincerely know that most people just don't understand what it's like. Touched a nerve since I had more involvement in the USA Gymnastics scandal than I have publicly admitted, and I'll just leave it at that.

I was going to run this morning but then the baby woke up and I missed her, lol. Heading to a funeral today but I might get a short tempo in before we head out. Ran 4.3 yesterday.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I was going to run this morning but then the baby woke up and I missed her, lol. Heading to a funeral today but I might get a short tempo in before we head out. Ran 4.3 yesterday.

Is this what they mean when they say baby brain? I guess I sometimes miss my "fat round thing" since he's about to turn 2 and likes copying me, and saying "no?" to lots of stuff. It's awesome.

my week

Confidence building, and also "not the goal" running this week. Monday I suckered myself into running marathon pace on lunch because the two people I usually run with were going fast, we were talking about sandbagging and I said how I don't like to run marathon pace because no one likes when I run that fast. Made a turn and told them "nope. you asked for this gear. lets go." They stuck with me so I felt kind of bad dragging them 20 seconds faster (or more) than their marathon pace. Didn't seem to slow me down for the other two workouts. I've been getting tight groin muscles (possibly from not ever stretching) so I've been really focused on that this week. The 20 miles was during the warmer part of the day (heat training at 60F!) and it was up and down. Trying to hold 8:30s wasn't happening. Going for 3 hours wasn't happening. I kept it slower than 8:00 and miles 17-20 were rough. After 19 it was all mental and "run to the beep. it's beeped every other mile so it will work." Thursday's run was about 5 seconds FASTER than it's supposed to be and I couldn't seem to slow myself down. Two Maurten gels during the marathon paced portions (one at the start, one 45 minutes later) without any sort of stomach issues that I can remember. The 20 served as a good long run to test gear for CIM so I pretty much have that dialed in and I just need to get these last workouts in. Oh and maybe drop 5 pounds so I can go in around what I weighted Junior or Senior year of high school.

I've also had surprisingly LOW heart rates for my workouts. Either the Garmin 235 is affected by dry cold (40-50F) air and reads low, or I'm actually getting fit.

Day

Miles

Description

Mon

Marathon pace. Got caught up with the run group.

Tue

11 + TRX

2x3 mile at GMP – 10 seconds; 1 mile jog in between. (6:40, 6:40, 6:37) 9:25 (6:38, 6:40, 6:36). TRX workout after.

Wed

Easy pace

Thu

12.75 + TRX

9 @ GMP (minus 5 seconds)

Fri

Holding back for easy pace

Sat

First 20 miler

Sun

Rounding out the week

Total

VDOT 53.37 

kcam

Brewing - you may have a case of Raynaud's syndrome.  I believe I have some small degree of it.  I can race in shorts and singlet in 30 deg weather and nothing on my body feels cold except my hands.  If I don't have gloves they turn into frozen claws that can't even function well enough to open a gu packet.  I always wear gloves for CIM (cuz it's usually cold!) and usually keep them on the entire time.

I had a 66mile week last week.  That's only the 2nd 60+ week this year.  Was even able to cap it off with a fast-finish 15 mile LR.  The prior few weeks I felt like I was barely able to finish 15 or 16 miles, at any pace.  Fitness coming back.

Running Problem

Problem Child

kcam: I thought about Raynauds just because it was mentioned elsewhere, but my fingers just turn red and layering up seems to help. I believe those who have Raynauds can't get their hands to stay warm even with gloves. I can't say I've paid much attention to how my hands feel  Way to get back out there.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

For anyone with cold hands, I just bought these and used them on two runs. Both were in the low 30's, one day was particularly windy and 30 on the dot. My hands were sweating throughout an 11 mile run, so if you run very cold like me, these are your mittens:

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/Salomon_RS_Warm_Mittens/descpage-SRWM000.html

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

For anyone with cold hands, I just bought these and used them on two runs. Both were in the low 30's, one day was particularly windy and 30 on the dot. My hands were sweating throughout an 11 mile run, so if you run very cold like me, these are your mittens:

These look excellent. I'll be able to perform Baby Shark on runs. Should be more enjoyable then singing a few lines of Black Sheep to myself.

CIM EXPO The host hotel for CIM will have shuttles to the expo. It was announced in their newsletter emailed out today.

Due to the construction occurring at the Sacramento Convention Center the 2019 CIM Expo will be at the Sleep Train Arena (1 Sports Parkway, Sacramento, CA 95834). Shuttle service from CIM's headquarter hotel, Sheraton Grand, will be available. Please visit our website for the most up-to-date expo information. 

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I've been doing a lot of research today on running/XC ski/cycling mittens today and those were one of the options I'm considering. Thanks for the recommendation on those, I'll likely pick up a pair.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

I've been doing a lot of research today on running/XC ski/cycling mittens today

I have an old pair of Brooks mittens that I love... shells with fleece liners.  I've never used the liners; I just use the shells.  They are perfect for 20-40F.   (It rarely goes below 20F here, and I don't run outside when it does.)   The shells keep wind, cold air, and moisture off and are really easy to stow when not needed.