2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

berylrunner

Rick

Brown Jersey gloves work for me down to 15 F.  I get them on sale $3.99 for a 6 pack.  They breath fairly well.  Ski gloves in more extreme conditions.

Keen - nice week and you are planning another?  Impressive.

Brew - consistant weeks.  Nice running.

Lauren - sub 20.  piece of cake.  Have a great race.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

berylrunner

Rick

Scratch that.  18 degrees this morning and my hands were cold.  Not to mention other parts too.  Guess I will go with the shorts over tights look.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Beryl - I don't know how you could wear that type of glove in those conditions, but good for you! The tips of my fingers just get so cold they ache, but at least that didn't start until about 5k to go today (~30-32*).
        And thank you. I should be in the 90's this week and next before starting to taper.

ETA: Ha! Missed your gloves update about this morning while I was posting.

Pretty much bombed what was supposed to be 12-14 at M effort this morning. Felt good the first couple miles, but rapidly began feeling that I just didn't have the energy for it and was having a difficult time keeping the focus required. It didn't feel like it was too difficult, just that I flat-out didn't have it today. I'm at least a little encouraged reviewing the GAP for the sections I did run, and I suppose I was due for a blown workout since I've been doing pretty solid since late July. Easy stuff the rest of the week!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

keen: You get enough sleep the night before? any new food you've tried? Still maybe slow from the half a week or so ago?

I thought I was getting ahead on training today. Figured I'd bump up my M paced run distance a week early. Checked the plan...oh look it was scheduled to be there. Now I'm wondering if I should keep the long run in the 50-60F weather or suck it up and go run in the REAL cold like keen and beryl. I'm inclined to keep my nice weather long runs (probably another 20) just due to when they're tentatively scheduled (nap time) during the day. I can get enough M paced cold weather to figure out dressing for CIM during the week. It's supposed to dip down to the 20-50F range next week. Arm warmers and gloves here we come.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - 20-50*? That's quite the range! At this point I'm just excited that morning lows should be above freezing until the Saturday-after-next. And I should have new gloves long before that!
            Sleep could be it. DD2 says she has had nightmares the last two nights and I'm the one she wants to cuddle next to in order make it go away. Not 100% sure she's actually having nightmares and instead of just wanting to sleep in my bed. It certainly interrupts my sleep (and possibly the odd workout), but I think the trade-off is worth it.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - 20-50*? That's quite the range! At this point I'm just excited that morning lows should be above freezing until the Saturday-after-next. And I should have new gloves long before that!
              Sleep could be it. DD2 says she has had nightmares the last two nights and I'm the one she wants to cuddle next to in order make it go away. Not 100% sure she's actually having nightmares and instead of just wanting to sleep in my bed. It certainly interrupts my sleep (and possibly the odd workout), but I think the trade-off is worth it.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/e8cef1502207fe7b53e45d61e27e841c8852efc58bda69a767b0aaa77271a370

It's a dry cold though. So it's not as bad.  I'm not looking forward to it, and I'm sure it will come in handy on race day. I'm cherry picking this long run 100% if I do it in the afternoon. If I do it in the morning it ends with 5-6 flat loops so I'm partially inclined to do it early with a group and have some company for 14 or so miles. Might depend how I feel Friday. At least it isn't 20 mph winds like last marathon right about this time in training.

You ever thought about tracking your sleep with the fancy GPS watch you have? I've done it and apparently I work well on 2.5 hours of "Garmin" deep sleep regardless of how many TOTAL hours I get. I think I was up around 3:30am this morning. The workout should be fun as long as I don't snack on gummy worms and water. This hot November might have me a little TOO focused on staying hydrated.

Turkey Trot weather is predicted to be about 30F (normal) which will make dressing for a 10K race very interesting. I might have DW hold my outer layer on her 3 mile walk. I might need to do a cool down jog to find her and layer back up.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hi all - just checking in.  Richmond is a go.  I got the OK from the ortho yesterday morning - got a cortisone shot in my shoulder (if you're curious, the point of pain has actually been underneath the lower point of the shoulder blade - I think when I post shoulder, people think much higher up).

Did my shakeout this morning, and felt really good.  It was a short-acting cortisone shot, so I get this weekend to feel good and to run a marathon.  Then it wears off and I start PT.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Katia77

Is this what they mean when they say baby brain? I guess I sometimes miss my "fat round thing" since he's about to turn 2 and likes copying me, and saying "no?" to lots of stuff. It's awesome.

I mean, maybe. The no never stops. I don't seem to have the genetics to have fat round babies - daughter just jumped up to the 4th percentile from the 1st.

Beryl - awesome week!

Hands - I'm definitely on the search for warm gloves. I can usually do 30ish with no issue, but sometimes even that gets tough in the warmest gloves I have in the dark.  6.3 miles today at lunch. Change of plans had me taking both kids back yesterday on my own, and now I'm tired.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

dw - You're racing tomorrow??  I didn't realize it was so soon.  You should be asleep already.   GOOD LUCK!!!

kcam

dw - You're racing tomorrow??  I didn't realize it was so soon.  You should be asleep already.   GOOD LUCK!!!

+1!

OMR

good luck, Dwave!

From the Internet.

Good luck dwave!!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks all!

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

not sure what dwave's goal was but she split 1:30 and change at the half and finished at 3:03. super strong result!! congrats!!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks for tracking.  I honestly had hopes of still pulling off 2;55 or close, but I ran by feel like always, and ignored my watch.  I did make the critical error of ignoring my instincts and pulling past the 3:00 pace group - I paid hard for that mistake.  If I had just sat with them, perhaps the race would have gone better, and I could have pulled out a sub-3.

Or maybe not.  I just never felt great the whole race - just didn't have the resources I needed. I think the whole truck thing and healing from that just drained too much from me.

But I'm still happy I ran it - it was the right decision for me.