2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

dw - not your best race and it's still a master's win and moose mug.  That tells you something.  CONGRATS!!!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thank you - that means a lot.  Seriously.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

Dwave:  that's a very impressive run so soon after the accident (not to mention just that it's an impressive run regardless).  i can't imagine your body was anywhere near recovered from the physical stress.  oh, and a master's win, and a moose mug?  congrats!

berylrunner

Rick

Darkwave- Really impressive time.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks all.  Race report here.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

week in review:

M: 6 easy + weights

T: 8 easy

W: spin

Th: 8 easy + weights

F: 10 easy

S: 7 easy

S: spin

total = 39

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Rovatti - nice week.  Are the weights upper body, lower body, or everything?

My week:

41 miles, 16 "miles" of pool-running, and a buncha rehab exercises (just assume the rehab exercises were daily).
                M: 7 "miles" pool-running with belt.
                T: 8 miles, including a track workout of 4x800 in 3:02, 3:02, 3:01, 3:02. Recoveries of 2:07-2:19. Followed with some light leg injury prevention work.
                W: 4 miles very easy (8:50) plus 2 uphill strides.
                Th: 3 "miles" pool-running (no belt), followed by biceps curls at the gym using the machine that stabilizes one's shoulders, and some core work. Then got a cortisone shot in the shoulder.
                F: 2 miles very easy (9:09) plus drills and two uphill strides.
                Sa: 1200m warm-up, and then Richmond Marathon in 3:03:37.
                Su: 6 "miles" pool-running with belt.

Amusingly enough, running Richmond may have actually helped the shoulder.  As of Sunday afternoon, I'm doing things that I couldn't do before the race on Friday night.  And since the cortisone shot was in full effect Friday night, the improvement is not due to that.

I'm guessing that marathon running is not going to become the standard protocol for winging scapula rehab though.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

"winging scapula rehab" ... pun intended? Smile

dwave you make us proud and also inspire us!! keep it up.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Rovatti -   Are the weights upper body, lower body, or everything?

Well, I'm weak everywhere, but I do mostly legs (and a few pushups).

I'm still rehabbing my R quad (which atrophied from disuse prior to my knee surgery).   I'm emphasizing hexbar dead lifts (which I read are great for runners)...  also, some lunges and kettlebell swings.  I usually lift for 30min, then run easy on the TM for an hour.

berylrunner

Rick

54 miles this week.  It was rough.  Fighting a chest cold and lots of work.  If I wasn't doing a daily 10k streak I might not have made it out.  Usually, only the first couple of miles are tough then things loosen up.  I did do  a 1 mile time trial an got a PR of 6:00.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - Still a great result, regardless. Truly impressive. Glad you're happy that you ran it. Congratulations! Looking forward to reading that RR.
                        I was actually a bit nervous for you regarding this - I somehow missed seeing your name in the results and it wasn't on Strava, so I was worried about how things went for you.

Rovatti - Good week. Do you have your own hex bar and weights, or is that at a gym? I've also heard about those being good for runners and am thinking about trying to pick one up (used, preferably!).

Beryl - 54 miles and a 1 mile TT PR while sick? Nice. Definitely retry that TT when you're recovered and you could probably crush that time as well.

100.6 miles last week. I did one of JMac's silly 15 min Threshold, 10 miles Easy, 15 minute Threshold runs Monday. That big easy stretch between threshold segments makes it kinda tough to get back going fast again, but the workout went well. I completely bombed what I planned on being 12 at marathon effort on Thursday - it didn't feel difficult, but I just felt like I couldn't keep my effort at the target level so I only did ~5.5 at effort. Everything else was easy, and I put in a 5k double four days. Just one more big week before I start what I'm planning to be a pretty steep taper (from average mileage - 90%, 70%, 40% not including race).

Saturday one of the local runners was doing a loop around a nearby lake and was hit and killed by someone driving a vehicle. I don't know any more details than that. He wasn't a guy I knew well, but I recognized him from seeing him at group LRs and races as a guy who always seemed quite happy and friendly.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Speed Surplus

Keen - 100 miles 

Edit: Didn't read the rest of your post. Sorry to hear about the runner who was killed. Drivers suck.

DW - Nice race coming back from getting hit by an actual truck. Glad to hear the arm/shoulder is recovering. The cortisone shot I had for my frozen shoulder a few years ago did WONDERS.

Not too much going on with my running, but I follow the person who beat me in my last race (hilly 10 mile trail run) on Strava, and she just ran an 18:18 5k. Granted, I was well-beaten in the trail race, but that's an interesting result that bolsters my confidence for some reason.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Katia77

Dwave - really impressive time and race, especially given the circumstances.

Keen - seriously great week! One day I'll get my body and schedule to cooperate with 40 miles a week...

Week:

M: 4.3@ 8:53

T: 3.4 @7:04

W: off

Th: 3.9 @ 8:33

F: 6.3@ 8:16

Sat: 2.6@ 8:37

Sun: 17.1 @ 8:24

Total: 37.6

Most I've run in a while, and weird week since we were traveling and all. My achilles flared up after my run yesterday and today it's hurting more than I expected, so I think I'm going to have to rest it a while -- hopefully not much but I also don't want to mess with it. Was hoping to do San Antonia half on the 8th, but at this point nothing seems to be cooperating. Any tried and true methods for AT issues?

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

kk - nice week, especially that LR!!!! I haven't had AT issues yet (knock on wood) so can't help ya there, sorry. Good luck.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

dwave If I need winging scapula treatment when I'm your age (yeah I'm that young) I hope the treatment isn't "get your moose mug."

beryl way to get out there. How long are you going to do the streak for? November? Thanksgiving?

rovatti I totally forgot about that surgery. I'd also never think of the supporting muscles lack of use making rehab harder. 40 is a solid weekly run goal especially with treadmill use.

ace I see you're not doing TRX OR posting here. slacker.

keen You're cutting out most people's long runs to taper. Let that sink in. 70% is most people's (like me) weekly mileage. 100 miles....boy you crazy. Seems like day light savings time has brought out the stupid drivers who have more important things to do than pay attention or consider anyone else. Sucks for the runner and just one more reason to point out the inexpensive cost of reflective gear even if it seems like a bother to wear.

SC When you going to break 19? 2020?

katia my brother snapped his when he heard his wife yell in their house with their kid. He was issued a cool wheely cart. I think it's one of the reasons I'm so afraid of anything along those lines of happening. Rest? Ice? A week with no kids?

My week

71.5 total miles. Guess this is where I start to taper down and find out what running for less than 2 hours on Saturday is like.

Tuesday went okay. Had some GI issues stop me (literally) on my last hard run and I grabbed a fence rail hoping no one would come by soon. Second times this has happened and it was right by the first one. TRX AFTER.

Thursday 10 miles at marathon pace with a 6:50 goal. Focusing hard on not going too hard, and not sandbagging. I built it as a workout in Garmin and kept the 1 mile auto lap. The 1 mile auto lap allows the "too slow/too fast" alerts to reset and keep you on pace. Otherwise they go off the workout average (set to 10 miles) which was 6:51 even when I'd slowed to a 7:00 pace. Two gels, and full marathon race gear. Cursed at a car driving through a crosswalk when the walk light was on and I'd been standing there with the headlamp facing the car for 2 minutes waiting for the walk light to turn on.

Saturday 20 miles. Mile 19 I got some kind of runners high and started pulling off 7:45ish pace and when I  thought I hit the brakes I was doing 7:55. Later that day I felt like I could do a second run and get my weekly miles.

I've missed more TRX this cycle than last. I'm pretty much done with it at this point I think. I'd like to go into CIM feeling ready, but I'm not sure what kind of gains I'd get with this being the last week I'll have any hard workouts. I guess taper starts this week since it's the cutback. I always thought a 2 week taper ended on race day so this feels like a 3 week taper (CIM is 12/8). 60 this week, 50 next then about 25 going into CIM with Saturday as my travel day.

10K Turkey Trot race. I'll be going for a 6:30 pace as the results from last year show a small number of people in this area to work off of, it's the same day I'd have a workout on, and I'll have a good mini taper with a full rest day before it. Any suggestions on how to pre-game (warm up) a 10k? 2 miles?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22