2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Dwave- great that it's healing quickly!

Brew - getting close! Hopefully the tightness goes away.

Keen - Sorry about the kids.. I feel ya on everyone getting sick..

I ran a whole almost 5 miles last week. Decided that resting this AT issue is the only way to go since it was a sharp pain thing. i'll probably still run the San Antonio half if at all possible, but I'll see on any full marathons.. dry needling seems to be helping though, and it IS getting better. I've been doing spinning and yoga, too.  Also, I'm running on zero sleep because my kids both decided to come down with a stomach bug beginning at precisely 2am on Sunday morning. .so between an ER visit because the 8 month old is 15 lbs and I was worried about dehydration and the 3 year old throwing up all over me about as soon as I got home.. it was an eventful day.

Damn that’s a rough day. I think of these moments and then wonder how single parents make it through when they’re sick and the kid is/isn’t too.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Katia - Wow, that's a rough night! I hope the kiddos (and you) recover soon.

DW took DD3 back to the pediatrician yesterday since she was getting worse instead of better, and it turns out that she has pneumonia. I have absolutely no idea how, but after getting a breathing treatment of some sort at the pediatrician's and starting antibiotics yesterday afternoon she actually slept pretty well last night and seems at least somewhat better this morning because of it.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OMR

Dwave:  I had a similar experience following my knee surgery:  my brain forgot how to talk to my leg, and I ran for a limp for a while even though there was no reason to.

Brew:  Good luck with the 10K.  Regarding Black Canyon, yeah, the first 30 miles is mostly downhill, so definitely doing some work on the incline trainer.  The peak for the last race was about 58.4M with an average of around 46.4/week.  Hoping to bump things up to 65/55, maybe?  I'm not being as aggressive with mileage as I used to, at least not right now.  Oh, and FYI, that administrator announced that he is retiring at the end of the academic year.

Keen:  Nice week!

Ace:  Good luck tomorrow.  I'm still hoping for a sub-19 5K someday...

Katia:  Yikes.

Well, I’m thankful I can still run.  🙂

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well, I’m thankful I can still run.  🙂

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!

Same to you. Way to keep going over the past 18 months.

Im thankful my year started to improve and gave me something to be happy about.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

kcam

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well as everyone on the thread.  Any other turkey trotters today?!

I ran 43:09 for Silicon Valley TT 10K.    Super thankful to get out there and compete WITH my friends.  It was so cold this morning probably 40 at most?  I expected a great day was going to be anything under 44 and a good day 44 so 43:09 is awesome.  Really looking forward to this coming year.

Saw our friend RLK run the elite 5K this morning.  Course consists of four 1200m dowtown laps plus a little extra before the first lap.  I saw her at the end of lap1 and yelled out "Go RLK!" and I swear I saw a bit of a smile cross her face through that 5K pain we all know (and love)!   I hope she knew it was me!  I yelled for her on the other laps but didn't torture her with "rlk" anymore!😁. Shannon Rowbury won the race in 15:33 I think.  Kim Conley was 2nd.  Very cool for her to get to race Olympians in such a small race (~30 racers).  Kudos to Robin.  Hope you earned that Comp for next year!

pepperjack

pie man

40 would be a significant heatwave where I’m currently.  I saw -7 on my drive on 80.

Was hoping for more miles than degrees, but it warmed up to 12.  No wind though, so I didn’t really need the gloves or a hat.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

If Mid 20s for my 10k with plenty of ice and snow. Out and back course and I walked the turn around. Top 15 overall and 2nd age group so I received a gravy boat trophy which I used during dinner. Single serving size. 6:33/mi pace. GPS measured 6.07 and that’s probably because they shortened the course due to the start/finish being an ice covered bridge.

snowed earlier this morning. A few friends were stuck at other people’s houses overnight so the daily miles might not happen unless I’m really motivated to keep my streak going.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cross-posting over here: anyone from the old RWOL days know who created the original Strava RWOL app? We want to see if we can get in contact with him over in sub 1:30. We have a few software developers over there who are willing to take over the app, but they need to contact him first.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Nice 10K Brew!  Is that 40min?  I've never earned a gravy boat before...

Running Problem

Problem Child

Nice 10K Brew!  Is that 40min?  I've never earned a gravy boat before...

Kind of. Short course due to ice on the official start/finish I believe. Race organizers are good enough to make it a legit course. I believe it’s just over 40:20 and I might have a sub 40 in me on the right course on the right day. Makes me feel good going into CIM next Sunday and the last mile wasn’t AS hard as I’d expect for a 10K. I haven’t raced one in so long I don’t know how it’s supposed to feel. Gravy boat made waiting around in the (very light) snowing conditions for my age group award worth it. I’m sure they’d have it for me any other day of the week if I asked. Hopefully my goofy photo on the podium was saved. I made a stupid pose. Haven’t been on a podium in 2+ years so I’m not too sure how second place is supposed to act. I assume first place acts serious and happy so I’m going to act happier.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Adding to the congrats on the gravy boat - that is a very useful prize.

Katia77 - I hope things ease for you soon - that's a lot to deal with (as others have noted).

CK - glad to see that DD appears to be on the upswing.

OMR - good news about the administrator, right?  Doesn't that make life better for you?

Kcam - congrats on the 10K - pretty impressive turnaround for you from how things were a few months back.

Brewing - belated response to your question on why my serratus anterior (aka that shoulder muscle underneath your armpit that controls your shoulderblade) decided to malfunction:  No one has explicitly told me why (to be fair, I haven't asked).  But when I read the medical journals on this condition, they regularly note that serratus anterior/winged scapula problems usually stem from damage to the "long thoracic nerve."  That nerve is located superficially along the side of one's torso - right where I got hit.  So....my assumption is that's the cause.  That explanation is consistent with my perception that the muscles are all there and fine and strong - they're just not consistently getting the right signals from my brain.

But...it's getting better.  As of this weekend, I'm doing some upper body stuff using machines, just at much lower weights than what I would normally use (kinda amusing when you get off the machine and the 70 year old lady gets on it and increases the weight setting...)  And I even did a bit of freestyle swimming this afternoon, which felt OK, if tiring.

An additional bonus is that I always had a bad habit of hunching my shoulders a bit when I ran, especially when I got tired.  Can't do that one any more.  So I may end up a better runner at the end of all this.

Hi and happy T-giving to all of you (RovattiPJ, lurkers and interlopers).

My week:

56 miles and 24 "miles" of pool-running
                          M: Light upperbody weights/core and 10 "miles" pool-running.
                          T: 4 miles very easy (9:21), yoga, and 7 miles very easy (8:50) plus drills and two uphill strides. Shoulder PT appt later.
                          W: 6.5 miles very easy (9:18), yoga, 5.5 miles very easy (9:08)
                          Th: light upper body weights/core and 10 "miles" pool-running
                          F: 10 miles aerobic with hills (8:48 average pace) followed by yoga (hills included four longer hill strides of 30 seconds at 5K effort, two short hill sprints of 10 seconds, and ~3 miles at moderate effort on a rolling net uphill route)
                          Sa: 7 miles very easy (8:58), drills and four strides, light upper body weights/core, and 4 miles very easy (8:40)
                          Su: 12 miles aerobic (7:53) followed by leg strengthwork and 4 "miles" pool-running, plus an itty-bitty bit of swimming to test out my bad shoulder.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

From the Internet.

I'll come back for a more in-depth read to catch up on everyone's stuff and to post training and whatnot but first:

19:58.6!! My very first sub-20 5K! Big grin Legs were a little stiff/uncooperative (just the cold weather? Needed a better warmup? Who knows, I'll experiment next time) but I was hoping if I ran smart I'd be able to just sneak under and get the first one out of the way, smash that mental barrier and the next one will be faster Smile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'll come back for a more in-depth read to catch up on everyone's stuff and to post training and whatnot but first:

19:58.6!! My very first sub-20 5K! Big grin Legs were a little stiff/uncooperative (just the cold weather? Needed a better warmup? Who knows, I'll experiment next time) but I was hoping if I ran smart I'd be able to just sneak under and get the first one out of the way, smash that mental barrier and the next one will be faster Smile

CONGRATULATIONS!  That's got to be such a thrill!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

AWESOME!

VDOT 53.37