my week was meager due to work, travel, holiday

M: 7 easy + weights

T, W, Th, F: rd

S: 9 easy

S: spin (1hr)

total = 16

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Congrats on the AG placing in your race.

PJ - Did I read that right? 12* and no need for gloves or a hat? No hat I can understand (maybe a headband just to cover the ears), but gloves are a must for me by 40*!

DWave - Glad your shoulder is continuing to improve.

Lauren - Killed the 5k! I was psyched for you when I saw that on Strava. Excellent close to that race.

DD3 seems completely recovered now, and to go along with this has been sleeping in her own room all night again! I'm largely over my respiratory/sinus infection, but didn't get near the miles in I wanted (wanted ~72, got 56) and certainly had no LR. My week was as planned through Wednesday, I cut a couple M effort miles from my run Thursday, and just got 4 miles on Friday as that was all I had the energy for (original plan was 15). Missing a run on Saturday ended an 89 day running streak (it just happened, I wasn't specifically going for a streak).
      I keep getting some gunk in my lungs, but nowhere near what it was and I'm no longer extremely fatigued like I was through Friday. Between the lingering effects of the illness and side effects of the antibiotics it seems like my endurance is 75-80% of what it should be. That, plus not running as much as planned, is really throwing off my perception of where my running fitness is. I keep trying to tell myself that a bit of extra rest at the end of my biggest-ever cycle isn't the end of the world.
      I'm thinking of doing a light-ish workout tomorrow just to get the legs moving a bit fast again, then doing a big one on Wednesday (10 days out from race day) if I'm feeling up to it in order to help "solidify" things.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

CIM is Sunday. 7:00am PST. Bib 3062. Going for the sub 3, 6:50ish/mi pace. I think there are a total of four times the race updates where I'm at. I plan to stick with the 3:00 pacer and should be across half way ahead of 90 minutes. Weather should be fine compared to my last week.

https://runsra.org/california-international-marathon/

50 miles this week. All easy. 10 miles was the fathest run. 

275.5 miles for November. 

Over 2000 for the year so I'll hit my goal of 2019. I need 0.6 miles per day at this point. Feels nice. 

Averaged 52 mile for all of CIM training. 

Cut out caffeine for a lot of November but not a full 100% caffeine free. I won't have any until after the race at this point.

Current plan is to drive to Sacramento Saturday morning. Saturday is a 90% chance of snow with 11 mph winds so I'll probably leave before lunch and plan on going slow. I hope the pass doesn't close like it did last week. Expo is open 9a-5P so I should be safe unless the roads close. They're probably going to close just because I keep thinking about it and typing it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

From the Internet.

Thanks folks! Big grin I've had such a great fall that I'm like, still in shock, lol. This year was not just about building fitness but also about learning how to race smart and how to make the most of and take away lessons from both good days and bad days. Nailing sub-20 finally was just the icing on the cake Smile

Last week was good right up to and including the race - busy busy and lots of group stuff but played it smart with my race on Sunday:

Monday - ~8.4 easy miles

Tuesday - 4 miles with 6 strides, no time for more! Babysitting friends' 3 year old all day which is a workout in and of itself, lol.

Wednesday - club track AM, 400-200 x8 sets. 90, 89, a bunch of ~88s, 85.2 for the 400s; 43, a bunch of ~42s, 39.5 for the 200s. Not any faster than a similar workout during mile season last year, but this one happened earlier in the season and was more comfortable, so that's still a good sign!

Doubled to run a 3k fun run with my daughter and her running pals (all 5th graders). They're so adorable and fun! Added on after to get to ~30 minutes, and the girls all enthusiastically jogged another 4 laps of the track with me because we're cultivating a love of running over here and it's melting my heart.

Thursday I paced a friend at a 5k turkey trot: ~6.2 miles total for the day, 23:11 5K for a 50 second PR for her! I like, hug-tackled her in the finish chute because I was so proud of her, lol Smile

Friday - 8 miles with 9x 30 sec pickups

Saturday - 5.5 easy miles and I SO wanted to add on more but refrained in the interest of having rested legs on Sunday.

5 mile double in the afternoon after Sunday's race, felt good to shake legs out a bit.

12 easy miles today felt like buttah, my legs are recovering so fast these days! Brief chat with coach after practice last week, he says if I continue to train smart and stay healthy, he doesn't see any reason why I can't keep making progress for the next decade or more before I level off or start to decline, so that's super encouraging.

Still catching up on reading oops...

CK plan sounds good as long as you're feeling mostly over the illness!

Brew good luck at CIM!

Running Problem

Problem Child

In case others haven't seen it....2020 running game sign ups are going on.

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/631cb355c8714e5ca69eb1fdc3f93c25/0?pgctx=0EAyto0pLqWWMQ6HIbypsEs3m3

All you have to do is run your calculated weekly mileage based off your goal and you can help a team win. This was kind of my only motivation for running in 2017 or 18 and it's amazing how much you can slack off with no goals.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

AceHarris

Lauren: congrats on the 5k! That's awesome.

brew: congrats on the gravy boat, you can stop running now. Also kudos on actually putting it to use. Best of luck this week. Stay well.

CK: glad to know illnesses are improving. Sounds like you have enough time to get to 100%. The down week may be more benefit than harm at this point. You've had an incredible cycle.

My week: kind of light with the 5k on Thursday. 38 miles. Was going to run 4 easy on Sunday, but listened to my body instead which had some R calf pain. Learning to listen to your body can be hard.

Mostly easy miles other than the turkey trot. I really didn't know what I'd be able to do. Since February I haven't done anything but easy miles, hills, and a few tempo runs between 6:30-6:40 pace. I was ready for an ugly showing. Despite this the plan was to go out around 5:50 pace and see what happens.

Mile 1 was 5:48 with a slight tailwind and I felt surprisingly good and in control.

Mile 2 in 5:55, still felt surprisingly good, but could tell there wasn't another gear in the legs

Mile 3 in 6:00, not a great split, but I usually feel TERRIBLE in mile 3 of a 5k and aerobically I still felt fine. Really wanted to catch a person or two, but legs had no speed left.

Finished with official time of 18:12. Good enough for 3rd AG.

Recap of the last three Turkey Trots (all at very different stages of training).

2017: 18:11 (in good shape about 6 weeks after marathon bonk)

2018: 18:12 (probably my best shape, but tired from a marathon a couple weeks prior)

2019: 18:12 (no speed, just endurance and no recent racing)

I'd love to break 18 this cycle. Hopefully I get a shot at it. I think running that time at my current training is a good sign.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

intermittently checking in..

kcam! thanks so much for cheering last week. as i'm sure you could've guessed, it felt a bit lonely and pathetic out there. but I heard my name so many more times on the course than I expected to! Also, turns out I did smile a bit - they just posted some photos (check gameface media). might share later for comic relief.

as for you, 43 for 10k is AWESOME. So happy to see you back at it and gaining speed! Any plans for next year?

Yeah, that was an interesting and unique race experience! 39 of us on the line, i think 4? olympians, at least 20 national class 5k runners, and then a couple people like me (except faster). I unsuccessfully begged a few of my teammates around my pace to sign up, but to no avail. (a longer story for later, perhaps, but the race organizers broke some rules in their assembly of this race field, which made things a bit pitiful for us in the back.) This particular race was just elite/local USATF field, so everyone knew it would be a "serious" race and a tiny field. As anticipated, I finished DFL, which has never happened to me before (not even in high school when I was very slow). I was alone from the start, even though I had one teammate I thought I might be able to work with, so that was just a different experience. Also maybe GPS was really bad or something, but I totally thought I was about to break 19:30 and doing really well, but then I round the corner after the mile 3 mark and had a ways to go down the road ... so I finished just over 20. I'm honestly a bit embarrassed about that - I did some fast time trials the past couple weeks and really thought the 20+min phase of my life was over, compounding that with the fact that most racers had been done for a few minutes. I have some unfinished business with the 5k! also, anyone else ever seen a video of a race they've run? Thinking back to feeling like I was kicking and running fast ... but looking pretty slow on camera, lol.

belated congrats to all the trotters!! especially Lauren - snuck right under, that is great!! You've had an awesome season.

dwave - " So I may end up a better runner at the end of all this." Love to read that. Good luck continuing to work through things ... I am certain you will be a stronger person (and runner, too) on the other side.

brew- woot! excited to track you and hopefully get to yell at you in person. will probably be on a bike, gotta figure out my game plan, have lots of people to keep an eye on. I  am coaching a friend from college, this'll be his second marathon and first time doing a training block and racing quite seriously, and he keeps improving really quickly. He's fit for 3:30 or better which would be like an hour PR? It's been fun to watch him improve. And then a few teammates trying to go under 2:45, etc.

How are you feeling??!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

rlk Blue shirt with ECLIPSE RUNNING on the front, black Nike's with the orange swoosh. Oakley's with pink lenses. Plan is to hang out with Kyle Petty (not the NASCAR driver) probably the whole way. I might drop him in the last 400. I don't think I need to go sub 2:59. If you see me in the finisher area come say hi. I'm less of an asshole when I've just run a marathon. Plus it's an easy Atrava title. "That time I met an impala. She beat me to the finish. I never knew how fast they really are." Kyle ran in 2016....3:00:00 so I'm feeling REALLY good about his pacing.

AS for DFL....when it happened to me in the mile it took about 3 seconds to realize I needed to run my own race. I told myself someone has to be last so it might as well be me. Was anything off or did you walk away thinking the body just didn't want to run that fast? I've considered recording myself running but I wouldn't know what to look for, who to show it to, or how to improve. If you want to run one at elevation there is a pretty flat (I'd imagine, course not announced) one up in my neck of the woods in April. Might be horrible weather though. Then again, you could just train for TNF50. You practically have home field advantage locked down.

EDIT: yell out a CHECKERS OR WRECKERS if you see me, or the 3 hour group. I'll wave if I hear you.

VDOT 53.37 

OMR

Brew:  Congrats on the gravy boat.  I've never won a gravy boat.  or a boat.  or gravy.  Good for you for cutting out almost all of the caffeine.  I should do that...oh, but...coffee....

Dwave:  Should I choose to stay in my current position, then yes, recent events would make my life a bit easier.  Good to hear your shoulder is improving.  My posture could probably use some improvement, but I'm not sure I want to go to the lengths you have gone to in order to reap those benefits.  ;-)

Lauren:  Congrats on the sub-20!

Ace:  Congrats on 3rd AG, and a pretty speedy time!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Our travel plans were cancelled due to an impending winter storm, so DW & I hung out at home with the cats.  My week (week 2 of 13)...I'm focusing on more elevation gain/loss this cycle, after averaging 745'/476' per week in the last plan.  It's treadmill season, so I might as well make the most of it...

M: 3M, 3 x (0.25M @ 0%,3%,0%,-3%)
                    T: 7.2M
                    W: 7.2M w/8 x (0.18M @ 6% hard, 0.22M @ -3% recovery)
                    T: 6.7M
                    F: 6M w/3 x (0.1M @ 0% --> 7% --> -3% -->0%) in 1% increments
                    S: 3.4M
                    S: 16M w/8 x (0.5M @ 0%,3%,0%,-3%)

Total: 49.5M. elevation gain/loss: 2051'/1215'.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew:  Congrats on the gravy boat.  I've never won a gravy boat.  or a boat.  or gravy.  Good for you for cutting out almost all of the caffeine.  I should do that...oh, but...coffee....

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Our travel plans were cancelled due to an impending winter storm, so DW & I hung out at home with the cats.  My week (week 2 of 13)...I'm focusing on more elevation gain/loss this cycle, after averaging 745'/476' per week in the last plan.  It's treadmill season, so I might as well make the most of it...

M: 3M, 3 x (0.25M @ 0%,3%,0%,-3%)
                      T: 7.2M
                      W: 7.2M w/8 x (0.18M @ 6% hard, 0.22M @ -3% recovery)
                      T: 6.7M
                      F: 6M w/3 x (0.1M @ 0% --> 7% --> -3% -->0%) in 1% increments
                      S: 3.4M
                      S: 16M w/8 x (0.5M @ 0%,3%,0%,-3%)

Total: 49.5M. elevation gain/loss: 2051'/1215'.

I switched to decaf cold turkey.  I didn’t even tell the wife. I told her she should cut back on caffeine (after her drinking decaf at home for a week) and she looked at me and said ‘lifeblood of champions’ (quote from Kicking and Screaming). I smiled so big internally knowing she was holding decaf. She doesn’t drink black coffee so she didn’t even notice I switch brands. I just refill the container and/or bag with coffee beans and she keeps playing dumb. She HAS ago know by now she’s been drinking decaf (at home) for a month. I’m probably going to buy more next week when she is out of town since I’m running low. Yes. I am that evil.

So how do you calculate elevation gain with treadmill running? I think I asked before but I forget.

VDOT 53.37 

OMR

Brew:  Don't think I could handle cutting out caffeine cold turkey.  I'm too far invested.  But I do drink a lot less than I used to, and I'm trying to cut back to 2 cups/day.  Regarding calculating elevation gain on the treadmill, it's basically 52.8 feet for 1 mile at 1%, but here's a handy calculator that does the work for you.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/inclinedeclinegradecalc.html

AceHarris

RLK: Sounds like an interesting 5k. Sorry to hear you were on the wrong side of 20 this time. The 5k is an odd beast. I was able to see a video my wife took of me finishing the Cherry Blossom 10 miler. I felt like I was putting in a kick, but I look like I'm jogging in the video. It was not what I was hoping to see. haha.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew:  Don't think I could handle cutting out caffeine cold turkey.  I'm too far invested.  But I do drink a lot less than I used to, and I'm trying to cut back to 2 cups/day.  Regarding calculating elevation gain on the treadmill, it's basically 52.8 feet for 1 mile at 1%, but here's a handy calculator that does the work for you.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/inclinedeclinegradecalc.html

2 cups? Man I was a 32-40oz/day guy.  (Sounds like we are swapping war stories at the bar). I think it’s just mental as far as no caffeine. Heck I cut out beer cold turkey and haven’t drank in about 6.5 months. I think initially I was going to use caffeine pills at CIM just because it gets me the caffeine without the liquid but now I’m just going to do my normal breakfast. Never experimented with pills during training runs, but when I’ve had caffeine last month it didn’t really phase me.

Good to know about the elevation. I might keep that handy and round up to 53 or down to 52 because “a deck of cards is 52 and about 1% Incline under a treadmill” might stick in my head. Oh and Tahoe Rim Trail lottery opened up this month. If I don’t get in the 50 miler and you’re around I might be willing to hang out. Haven’t heard from Max on any upcoming adventures so my services are available.

VDOT 53.37 

kcam

RLK - pray tell about the shenanigans on setting up that elite 5K!

Yeah, I knew that race had to be rough for a runner like you ... fast but not elite level fast.  Very humbling, but you got to run with the world's best runners in a small race!   You shoulda gone right up there at the start and elbowed Rowbury for some room on the line!    The just-over-20 is no big deal, run that race again and you'd likely be under 20.

My plans for next year include mostly getting back into marathon shape by the end of the year (I deferred 2019 CIM to 2020 so I guess that's my thing for next year).  I am toying with the idea of running Kaiser 1/2 (SF) in Feb.  I'm in decent shape so it wouldn't be completely horrible.  I'll be at the Christmas Relays on one of our 50+ teams the week after CIM this year.  Do Impalas run the Relays?'m

Coffee .... mmmmm!  I love coffee and drink about 5 or 6 cups a day but almost all decaf.  Decaf for years.  Like Brew's wife I cannot tell the difference between reg and decaf.  No discernible effects either way other than it's good!

berylrunner

Rick

Lauren. Ace, and Brew, congrats on your races.

I got in 50 miles.  Considering the travel, bad weather. and tightness in my lungs I will take it.  I made it through the daily 10k competition.   7 runners still and 1k is being added each day.  15k is scheduled for tomorrow.   I feel fine.but conditions are sloppy.  Also am scheduled to help with a local ultra Friday  and Saturday.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59