2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewing runner: DO NOT MESS WITH MOTHER NATURE! 

I'm totally ready to run the marathon of my life, but the weather is supposed to be mid-40s to start, partly cloudy, with slight wind, and negligible rain chances. So totally not PR weather...

It’s 58F with a 9 mph wind from the South and 80-90% and a dew point around 55 right now.  Definitely warmed up so he’s running in something similar to CIM I’d imagine.

5K 21:29. 6:55/mi. Prediction: he is going to negative split this by a minute. There is a hill around 20 he is saving up for.

10k 6/55/ mi pace

15K 7:04 pace. I think there was a hill here and now it’s a flat loop around the lake until 20 when he will hit this hill again. Hopefully he fuond someone to latch on to.

20k: 1:26:10. 6:52/mi. I’m still ahead of him on a different course on a different day with different weather.

13.1 1:30:56. Something happened. He slowed to a 7:06. Maybe it’s like my race where timing mats measure this WAY off and scared EVERYONE watching. WAY too slow from 20k to 13.1 for this to make sense.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

25k. 7:01/mi pace. 1:48:01.

30k. 7:50/mi. 2:12. Fucking bullshit. Sorry man. Let it out. There is always OKC.

nothing has registered.  Either he bailed or he went to medical. Hopefully everything is okay. He knows we are watching.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

AceHarris

Man, that sucks. Such an impressive training block. Hopefully you’re okay, keen.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm wondering if that bug his kids were fighting off finally caught him at just the wrong time.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

He told me he was taking antibiotics and was feeling better.

Bin just crossed 24.5 so he must be walking to finish it off after some time in medical.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Done. Not anything close to what he is capable of. Way to stick it out Keen. OKC in April.

VDOT 53.37 

berylrunner

Rick

70 miles this week.   One workout.  Hit the pace, but it was tough.  Added some MP miles into some of my other runs.  Arobically feeling good.  Still concerned about some foot stress.  Daily 10k streak at 45 days.  Buying a marathon registration this week.   No more putting it off.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

From the Internet.

Belated congrats to Brew!

Sorry keen - it was a tough day; another friend blacked out around the half and DNF'd (Dallas, right?).

I raced the 3000 indoors yesterday, got a 16 second PR but finished 10 seconds behind goal (which, admittedly, was sort of pulled out of thin air and optimism just to get a baseline). Felt good in the early laps, hit 1600 under 6 minutes (which is AWESOME because I ran 6:01 for the mile here last year!), and then my stomach started to bother me and I could feel myself progressively collapsing just a little more on each of the remaining 7 laps. 11:25.3 (that's 6:07 average for those of us for whom 3000m is a weird meaningless distance, lol) but with a big ugly positive split - I am a wuss about racing, though, so going out hard and running with guts isn't the worst thing for me to do in a low-stakes situation.

13 miles today, club track workout AM if I can wake up on time, a fartlek-type workout on the road if I'm too dead to get to the track. Mile is up next on Saturday!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I raced the 3000 indoors yesterday, got a 16 second PR but finished 10 seconds behind goal (which, admittedly, was sort of pulled out of thin air and optimism just to get a baseline). Felt good in the early laps, hit 1600 under 6 minutes (which is AWESOME because I ran 6:01 for the mile here last year!), and then my stomach started to bother me and I could feel myself progressively collapsing just a little more on each of the remaining 7 laps. 11:25.3 (that's 6:07 average for those of us for whom 3000m is a weird meaningless distance, lol) but with a big ugly positive split - I am a wuss about racing, though, so going out hard and running with guts isn't the worst thing for me to do in a low-stakes situation.

Emphatically agree. I think it's really important to go out there from time to time in low stakes races and play with doing stuff differently.  Good for you!

My week:

64 miles, 18 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming
                    M: Yoga and 8 "miles" pool-running.
                    T: 12.5 miles, including a track workout of 2x1200, 2x800, 2x400, 2x200 in 4:42. 4:38, 3:02, 2:58, 86, 83. 42, and 41. Recoveries of 2:38-2:50 between most; 1:55 between the 400s and 1:17 between the 200s . Followed with leg strengthwork and 800 yards recovery swimming. Shoulder PT appt in afternoon.
                    W: 7.5 miles very easy (9:13), yoga, 4.5 miles very easy (8:52), followed by drills and 4 strides.
                    Th: Upper body weights/core and 10 "miles" pool-running
                    F: 12 miles, including a track tempo workout of 6400m in 26:41 (6:47/6:39/6:39/6:36). Followed with leg strengthwork and 750 yards swimming.
                    Sa: 10 miles very easy (9:06), drills and four strides, upper body weights/core.
                    Su: 16 miles progressive, split as first 5 averaging 8:53, next 5 averaging 7:45, last 6 averaging 6:53 (plus a .5 mile cooldown). Followed with leg strengthwork and 450 yards swimming.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

Keen:  Sorry to hear the race didn't go well.  Hope everything's OK.

Lauren:  Congrats on the PR!  (even if it was a "big ugly one"  ;-) )

Beryl:  Nice week...which one did you sign up for?

Dwave:  Also a nice week.

My week:

M:  3 easy

T:  6.3 easy with a few hills

W:  6.6 easy with a few more hills

T:  8.1 with a little tempo, then a few more hills

F:  3.4 easy

S:  6.6 easy with a few hills

S:  21 with a lot of hills

Total:  55M.  Elevation gain/loss (4486'/1344')

Running Problem

Problem Child

My week:

Monday: Dinner at my mother in law's, put my son to bed around 7:30 after a bath. My son was PISSED I woke him up at 6:15 trying to leave early.

Tuesday: Dinner at my mother in law's. Played around and bed time around 7sih.

Wednesday: Let my son sleep as late as he wanted. Went to a play date after work. Son in bed around 7:30.

Thursday: A blur.

Friday: Mac and cheese dinner. Bedtime at 7:00pm (normal time).

Saturday and Sunday: Grocery shopping, random tasks, and my son wouldn't take a nap.

Wife was out of town after CIM for the week. Today is lunch with my CIM training group from lunch. Definately not running until Thusday at th earliest. Oh and I'm waiting for New Year's Day to hear the bad news I was accepted to the Tahoe Rim Trail 50 miler. My stupid plan is to run the 6.5 mile 1,000ft gain trail at my office on lunch A LOT. 2020 is going to bring the suck on easy training. idle hands (legs) are the work of the devil.

omr 21 with a lot of hills sounds miserable unless you live in a flat state like Nebraska.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I'm wondering if that bug his kids were fighting off finally caught him at just the wrong time.

DING DING DING! We have a winner! lol

Hey, all! I just haven't used a computer at all since last week, and composing long posts via phone isn't idea. Probably could have just popped in for a quick update, though, in hindsight.

Recap:
                          I felt fine the morning of, and thought I had successfully dodged a stomach bug that DW, DD1, and DD3 had all had in the few days before the race. It was a bit warmer than I wanted at the start (~51/10.5) with a DP to match, but I told myself everyone just crushed CIM in similar conditions and while it would slow me down a bit I figured I'd still be able to get sub-3.

The race is slightly downhill to start, but after a decent uphill and immediate decent around mile 3 it's essentially all uphill until you get to mile 11, which rewards you with a pretty substantial downhill before largely flattening out around the lake.

Around mile 12 I started to feel a bit off, but I figured it was just a weird race issue and would pass. I crossed the half just a bit slower than I wanted, but I was still ok with it since aside from one hill coming up it was largely flat to downhill the rest of the way and I was planning on a good negative split. Mile 15-6 and I'm feeling worse so I decide to revise my goal to just BQ. We turned into the wind again around the lake, but there weren't many around and I couldn't draft like I could earlier. Miles 18 & 19 things started going downhill faster and I decided I was just going to run as far as I could without walking, then run/walk it in. "As far as I could run" turned out to be just a few steps beyond the small crowd at mile 19. I tried running a few steps after walking maybe 300m and it felt hard to breathe, so I shut that down.

Mile 21 starts a ~1.5mi uphill that includes a lot of the screaming downhill from mile 11. I was still at least moving ok here (relatively speaking), but I took a drink of water and my stomach instantly turned. It took a couple miles but I finally got nauseous enough to throw up just a little liquid (no solids for many hours at this point). I kept going, took a few lie-down breaks in hopes the nausea would pass (it didn't), and kept thinking that I've always heard that stomach issues in long ultras are a thing, but that throwing up almost always fixes it. At mile 25.5 I finally threw up just a bit more (off course again) and my stomach felt MUCH better, but I didn't even contemplate running. The walk in was much more pleasant after that.

I figured it was just the heat getting to me more than other people, but when I talked to DW after the race and told her how I felt she said it sounded like I had gotten the stomach bug, and that DD2 had woken up sick with it the night before but she didn't want to freak me out pre-race by telling me. I was just so focused on race-specific things it didn't even occur to me that I might be sick. By ~4pm I felt just fine (aside from the usual post-marathon leg soreness), which does mirror how my girls felt after getting sick - throw up 1-2 times, feel crummy for a few hours, then everything is OK.

The more I thought about it the more it being a bug than the heat makes sense, given the conditions, my training, and how badly I crashed. My slowdown was massive compared to everyone else, and the heat wasn't that bad when I started walking (it was 75/24+ when I finished). Once I started walking I never caught anyone else who was also, I was just passed continuously. I chatted briefly with a guy who ran the same half I did earlier in the fall and he ran 1:26 there, and he started running again after walking less than a 1/4 mile with me (turns out he's doing the Black Canyons ultra next year). Hopefully this isn't just me trying to make myself feel better!

So, my previous plans of sub-3 in Dallas and running some (dirt/gravel road) ultras next year has flown out of the window. I'm looking at some marathons that are in the winter to early-ish spring range, and hopefully not too far away. The most promising ones are currently Houston (Jan 19. Nice and flat, but 7+ hours of drive time away), Cowtown (March 1. Rolling hills, a bit faster than Dallas, half as far away, more time to prep), and the Chisholm Trail (did this on in the spring, mostly flat double-loop, possibly late enough that it could be warm).
                          I know 5 weeks to Houston isn't much turnaround, but what does everyone else think?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

kcam

Stuff happens, but the fact remains you are fit as a fiddle right now.  As far as a quick turnaround my feeling is it's no issue at all since you didn't really 'run' the marathon.  I gotta believe this effort took next to nothing out of you (running-wise) once you recover from the illness.  Good luck in planning and running the next one.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Stuff happens, but the fact remains you are fit as a fiddle right now.  As far as a quick turnaround my feeling is it's no issue at all since you didn't really 'run' the marathon.  I gotta believe this effort took next to nothing out of you (running-wise) once you recover from the illness.  Good luck in planning and running the next one.

I'm going to respectfully disagree (with the caveat that everyone is different).

I think the marathons that go badly, due to sickness, weather, etc, take just as much or more out of someone than a marathon that went well.  That's the frustration - the ones that you really want to get behind you are the ones that need the most time.

I think the ability to run two marathons with a quick turnaround is individual.  For myself, I've found that there are deep reserves that you tap into late in a marathon that take a long time to replenish.  You can feel decent 7 weeks after a marathon, but when you get to mile 21 or so in the second marathon, you just don't have the same tank that you did for the first.

I've done fairly quick turnarounds twice - Chicago to CIM (8 weeks) and then Boston to Grandmas (9 weeks) - in both I found that my performance in the second race was compromised.  I still had decent races, and even PR'd at Grandma's.  But I was compromised.

I'm not saying not to do it.  Sometimes, even with those missing deep reserves, you can run faster at the second race than the first, if there were major external factors affecting the first (i.e. weather, illness).  And sometimes there's other reasons to run the second race (I may run Boston just 7 weeks after One City this spring, if I feel like it won't wreck me).   But it's not like the first race didn't happen.

But again, I've seen other people double back and do it well, so take my input with a grain of salt and adjust based on your own body and experience.

kcam

We'll have to agree to disagree.  That marathon keen 'ran' took nothing out of him (except if it made his illness worse than it was).  In my thinking the only thing he has to recover from is illness.