2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

kcam

We'll have to agree to disagree.  That marathon keen 'ran' likely took less than a training long run out of him (except if it made his illness worse than it was).  In my thinking the only thing he has to recover from is illness.

OMR

Keen: Sorry to hear a bug may have been your downfall.  Regarding signing up for another one, I’ll throw in my experience...

My first attempt at a sub-3 marathon was a bust.  I knew it around mile 21, and I shut things down, and ran/walked the remaining miles.  My second attempt was roughly 12 weeks later.  As Kcam suggested, I recovered pretty quickly, as I didn’t over-exert myself in the marathon, and I got another 8 or so solid weeks of training in.  In hindsight, the first attempt wound up being a long run with 21 miles at MP effort.  And I got the sub-3 on the second attempt.  For me, I feel as though running another marathon in January would be too soon, but I think early March would be ideal.  It allows time for recovery, if that is needed, and for a little more training.  So, if I were in your shoes, I would opt for Cowtown.

AceHarris

Just posting my week from last week a little late.

M - 8 easy (7:50) with strides in the last mile

T- 2 easy, 2 x 3:00/4:00/5:00, 60s rest, 2 easy - worked from 6:15 down to 5:50s pace. Felt good and not too difficult

W - Off

T - 8 on a hilly route, working the hills - 7:37 pace

F - 8 easy (7:47)

S - 15 easy with last mile pickup (avg 7:55ish on easy miles, 6:56 last mile)
        S - 4 easy (8:15) - a few miles with a good friend.

total: 51.6 mies

A little right foot pain developing, but only with certain shoes. Typically feels better once I'm warmed up, but can be tender to the touch too. Hence, the shoes that press on the painful area are more bothersome. Giving it some TLC. Hopefully it's nothing too serious developing.

keen: I really have no expertise in the back to back marathon thing. The closest I've ran 2 marathons is 5 months. I think each person has to listen to their body. Maybe as you get back to training you see how you feel on some of the longer/tougher workouts and go from there.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

keen is picking another marathon in a month going to do anything different than running one in a few months with some more training? You can probably run an ultra no problem with your training for marathons. If you’re trying to squeeze everything into 2020 something is going to happen. Always does. If you can run one in 5 weeks that’s a week or two off hard workouts (counting this week), two of something with marathon pace, then a quick taper. Fast turn around and it probably wouldn’t be 80+ mile weeks. Second option is another 12 week cycle and you race in February or March when you’d possibly need to travel south....but then there is early spring weather (monsoons) possibility. I did April after an October marathon. After Chicago I couldn’t have raced CIM 7 weeks out (probably mentally) for a sub 3 or even 3:05 which is what I’d trained for.

My advice is to pick the race you feel gives you the absolute best shot at a Sub 3 so you can apply for Boston 2021 with me.

EDIT: Is the $350 "donation" for running Chevron Marathon as a charity entry for the Houston Marathon Foundation an option?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Houston is sold out, so that makes some decisions for me. Cowtown (March 1) looks to be my best option for multiple reasons - it's the fastest course (not by much) within a reasonable drive and is early enough the weather should be good, and should give me a decent amount of time to recover some and still get in a decent, though abbreviated, cycle.
            No definite decision yet, but I figure I'll just run easy until the beginning of the year before starting some workouts regardless, so there's time to decide.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

I think it's been about 6 months since I was here.... but after 1 year, 1 month, and 20 days with no running (except for the occasional jog across a crosswalk or to catch a train), my doctor has cleared me for some very easy running. Couch to 5k program here I come!

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think it's been about 6 months since I was here.... but after 1 year, 1 month, and 20 days with no running (except for the occasional jog across a crosswalk or to catch a train), my doctor has cleared me for some very easy running. Couch to 5k program here I come!

HELL YEAH!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

berylrunner

Rick

Keen - sorry about the race.  You will nail the next one.  If it was me, and time and money was not an issue. I would look for a redemption race next week.  Sprint off the line and blow up, but that is me.

OMR - Sun Marathon in Utah mid February.   It is going to be a tricky course.  Downhill until mile twenty then a good uphill and then a few rolling hills at the end.

Darkwave - nice week with some quality.   I have one more week of base building and then I will be hitting you up for some workout.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

OMR

rune:  So, does this mean you can change your tag line to "running instead of swimming"?  ;-)  welcome back.

beryl:  The Sun Marathon sounds like a miniature version of Black Canyon:  mostly downhill, then rollers...

berylrunner

Rick

Perfect OMR.  I really hope the point to point course happens this year at BC.  Still one of my favorite races.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

runethechamp

Tag line changed 

rune:  So, does this mean you can change your tag line to "running instead of swimming"?  ;-)  welcome back.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

pepperjack

pie man

Hi folks

Don't remember the last time I posted.  Seems like quite a bit of stuff has happened.  Good work on all that.

I was a pretty weird stretch after San Diego.  The poison oak was going to get real bad just in time for Thanksgiving so for the first time ever I went to the doctor and got the steroid shot.  I guess that makes for 'out of competition' for a little while.  I also did a short course of pred, which was a bit crazy.  She warned me I wouldn't feel full and that was certainly the case.  And just in time for Thanksgiving...  Wound up gaining about 10 pounds.  Not kidding.

Attempted to do a little racing this past weekend.  The big race back home was Saturday and I miss it.  So I went over to Healdsburg for their holiday deal.  A little pricey and not very competitive.  But it worked out cause I won shoes.  They're Topos, so they might be a little weird for me, but they were 'free.'  I also went out not even what I could probably do for a legit 5k and I was just all alone after the kids in front slowed.  But I couldn't hold it and got passed.  I blame the extra 10 pounds.

I was expecting to be cut sometime between now and next month but apparently the next boss wants me around so I get to use all my hours.  Which should be interesting, it definitely does winter up here.  I might need to buy some chains.  But if I can find clear roads regularly enough I might actually be able to train a bit.  It's been less than a year since Clarkson and the sub 1:30, so maybe i'm not a lost cause at this point?

11:11 3,000 (recent)

AceHarris

Going to take at least a few days off. Had moderate left calf pain on Friday and cut my run short by 2 miles. Tried again this morning. Scheduled run was 16. Made it 5 miles and had to stop running due to pain and stiffness, walked a mile back to the car. Pretty disappointed, but know there’s plenty of time between now and April. 

I’ll take any calf/Achilles advice you’ve got.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Going to take at least a few days off. Had moderate left calf pain on Friday and cut my run short by 2 miles. Tried again this morning. Scheduled run was 16. Made it 5 miles and had to stop running due to pain and stiffness, walked a mile back to the car. Pretty disappointed, but know there’s plenty of time between now and April. 

Based on my considerable injury experience and complete lack of medical knowledge....

1) If it's inflamed, for the next 24 hours I'd ice it and rest it (except for pool-running/swimming).  I'd also gently move my ankle in circles/point-flex the foot several times a day, to the extent I could do so pain-free.  If there are muscle knots, I'd work on massaging those out as well.  Voo-doo flossing (google it) is another tactic that has worked really well for me.

2) after that, I'd shift to wearing a gentle compression sock at night when I sleep and also wrapping it with a heating pad set on low.  I'd continue with the gentle movement of the ankle, the massaging out of muscle knots, and the voo-doo flossing.

3) once it felt like it was settling down, I'd start carefully re-introducing running.

Is it in the calf (muscle) or the achilles (tendon)?   If the former, it's less concerning to me - that should clear up faster.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SMART Approach

The positive is that you did feel an acute event or injury. This does not mean you don't have some micro damage. I agree with not running for some days. Any discomfort with walking? I would keep moving and be active. Don't over stretch and movement and heat not cold is better for recovery. Before your next run, get it warm and loose walking, soak in hot water before. For first run back just do 3 - 4 miles easy with a walk break every mile. Get through it without pain and gain confidence and build from there. For next 2 weeks, have one day off between runs. Think about gradually incorporating standing calf strength work and more flexibility work. Evaluate what may have caused this. It may take 2-4 weeks to fully resolve but you need to be smart during this time.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com