2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Would there be any opposition to join the Sub 3 runners and make just a “marathon racing and training” thread? I don’t think there is another time based thread other than the 3 hour group. I think back in the RW forum days there were a lot of times people could jump in to.

Ace hope its just going to need some ice and elevation. April is a ways away.   Maybe roll around on one of those scooter/ carts where people look like they’re kneeling halfway ride on. My brother had one with a horn.

pj sounds like good news. Any ultras for 2020? I put in for Tahoe Rim Trail. I think Quicksilver might be one you’re good at.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AceHarris

Dwave: it’s definitely more in the muscle, medial aspect and a little of the upper Achilles, but not nearly as bad. There is definitely a decent sized knot in the calf muscle. I’m about to google voodoo flossing. I’ve been doing a combo of ice, heat, and massage, as well as rest obviously.

It’s sore with walking which is concerning, but after it loosens up with walking the pain goes down, so maybe just extra tight. 

I’m at my parents for the holidays, which is in the middle of nowhere. The nearest pool, elliptical, or bike is an hour away. So rest is inevitable for now.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

OMR

Ace: Do you know if it is the gastroc or the soleus?  I’ve had issues with the soleus in my left leg before, which is more difficult to get at with a foam roller or other devices.  One of the indications of the seriousness of a strain, if there is one, is whether or not you can do straight leg single-leg calf raises (gastroc) or bent knee single-leg calf raises (soleus).  When I had that problem, I didn’t start running until I could do 20 bent knee calf raises without pain.  And then it was a very gradual return to running.

berylrunner

Rick

Had the time, had the weather, I ran.

147 miles.  I have wanted to try a marathon streak.  7 in 7 days.   That is beyond my level so I settled with 4.

Monday - 27 miles.  1" of snow on double track dirt and rocky roads.  Some wandering through brush, a few hills.  Pace 10:30.

Tuesday - 27 miles.  Laps around my farm.  Set up an aid station at my house.  4.5 mile loops of continuous running.  Pace 8:51 and a negative split.

Wednesday - 29 miles.  Back to the hills, but stayed on the double track.  Used the town for an aid station at 18 miles.  A few miles of pavement.  This run I used a walk run ratio.  .1 mile walk, .4 mile jog.  Worked very well and averaged a pace of 9:53.

Thursday - 27 miles.  Marathon #4.  Dirt roads and graveled roads.  Run by feel, ready for survival mode if needed.  No aid stations, carried everything.  Went better that expected and even had some 8mm.  Averaged 9:31.

Friday - 7 miles.  Easy hills.

Saturday - 12 miles.  Continuous at easy pace.

Sunday AM - 8 miles.  6 x .5 intervals at MP

Afternoon - 5 at moderate effort

PM - 5 more intervals.  Felt really good.

So everything feels good.  I will have a recovery week and then try to sharpen some speed for a half marathon in 3 weeks.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Wow - that's a lot of mileage, Beryl.

Ace - I hope this clears soon.  I agree with OMR's point about the calf raises.

Re: Combining the 3:00 and 3:20 threads - I'm personally fine with it, as it makes life easier for me (no double posting).  And it's nice because it's a place for all.  However, I would hope that we don't lose anyone in the transition.  I also wonder - what will be the rule of the combined threads on whether we can refer to the April race in Massachusetts by its official name?

My week:61 miles, 18 "miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming
            M: Yoga and 9 "miles" pool-running.
            T: 9 miles very easy (8:56), upperbody weights/core, 3 miles very easy (8:31), followed by drills and 4 strides.
            W: 14 miles, including a track workout of 4800, 3200, 1600, 2x200 in 19:53 (6:43/6:40/6:30); 13:08 (6:38/6:30), 6:24, 43, and 43. 5-6 minute jogging recovery between the tempo sections; full recovery between 200s.
            Th: Upper body weights/core and 9 "miles" pool-running
            F: 5 miles very easy (9:11), yoga, 6 miles very easy (8:48), followed by drills and 4 strides.
            Sa: 17 miles, including a workout of 4, 3, 2, 1 miles at marathon effort with 1 mile float in between. Splits were:
            4 miles: 27:29 (6:54/7:02/6:45/6:48 - average 6:52 pace)
            3 miles: 20:16 (6:45/6:49/6:42 - average 6:45 pace)
            2 miles: 13:23 (6:41/6:42 - average 6:42 pace)
            1 mile: 6:40.
            Recoveries between 7:41-7:52 after each.
            Su: 7 miles very easy (8:55), followed with drills, four strides, and yoga.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Beryl WOW!

ace is that the family in California?

dwave I wondered about anyone getting lost and I guess I assumed everyone would see a training thread with popularity an join in. I do know we lost a few switching to this website.

superstitions can remain in place for those who believe in them. #OrangeMakesYouFaster

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ace - Hate to hear about the calf issues, but hopefully that resolves itself soon.
                Your parent's place sounds like it's in a similar location to mine. I don't think there's a single traffic light in the entire county they live in.

Beryl - Holy mileage!! Geez, that's impressive.

Combined threads - I don't particularly care either way, but I also hope that we wouldn't lose anyone. We lost some in the transition to RA, and it seems like there's a person or two who falls away every year regardless of where we are (though seeing new names stick around is good). I lurk somewhat in sub-3, so it would help keep my browser tab count down! Chrome like to eat RAM...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

If I'M the one who starts it I'll make a combined, broad, "Marathon Race Training" thread and that way it's all inclusive. LEss cross posting, more people to bounce things off of, more tracking and maybe even some more activity during the time between your personal races. I just hope someone new doesn't think "oh man they are crazy in that thread. You need to run 60 miles during training to talk to them."

VDOT 53.37 

OMR

Beryl: That’s a crazy week.

Thread combos: I lurk on the sub-3 thread, and have for years, but I’ve never posted there because I don’t know that I’ll ever get to sub-3 land again...aka, I’m late to the party, and I’m getting old.  Then again, there’s a stubborn part of me that thinks I’m still capable, once I get back to where I was (with regard to mileage).  But that may not be until 2021, so who knows...

Anyhow, here’s my week (a bit late)...hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season!

M: 4M
                    T: 6.5M w/6 x (0.25M @ 0%, 3%, 0%, -3%)
                    W: 6.5M w/4 x (0.5M @ 0%, 3%, -3%)
                    T: 10M w/2x (0.5M @ 0%, 3%, -3%), then 2.7M steady state, then 1 x 1.5M @ (0%, 3%, -3%)
                    F: Rest
                    S: 6.8M w/4 x (0.5M @ 0%, 3%, -3%)
                    S: 16M w/1M @ (10%, 9%,...,3%)

Total: 49.8M. Elevation gain/loss: 3930'/1185'

AceHarris

I'm great with a combo thread, it just means I'll be even worse at keeping up with what's happening.

Beryl: Can you share some of your miles with me? That's a crazy week! And with a workout after 4 marathons! WOW

I'm pretty certain the calf problem is the soleus muscle. More pain on calf raises with bent knee, pain is deep. When it flares then the gastrocnemius starts to get tight too. I handled a walk/run on 12/24 that went okay. Still some pain and stiffness, but at least was moving. Going to see the PT tomorrow before heading to CO for a week. Really hoping to not lose too much fitness. With all the travel I've had trouble accessing pool/bike. Should actually be easier once in CO, but we'll see.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

De-lurk given the conversation on combining.

I think darkwave put it best in the sub 3 thread: the time you can run gives no indication of the value you can add to a thread. I think part of the reason of splitting it up on RWOL was to separate beginners vs. more seasoned runners, and that made sense given how many threads there were. But since we only have 2 here, I think everyone on these threads is serious about training and can both learn and give advice to others. That's exactly why I lurk on this thread: there is learning to be had on marathon training no matter what time you're running.

Looking forward to "meeting" all of you next week. Happy new year!

Ace: I've strained my calf once. It's the usual regiment of most strains that helped me: rolling and KT tape. I always thought tape was snake oil until i tried it, but now I know it's the real deal. The only other thing I can advise you on is heat. That helped my injury a lot. I bought an electric heat pad on Amazon and just laid my calf on it while watching TV. Most PTs will still advise ice, but I think their view is a bit outdated given all of the research that suggests that ice is only useful in the first 72 hours of an injury, after which you should switch to heat.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

OMR

I'm great with a combo thread, it just means I'll be even worse at keeping up with what's happening.

Beryl: Can you share some of your miles with me? That's a crazy week! And with a workout after 4 marathons! WOW

I'm pretty certain the calf problem is the soleus muscle. More pain on calf raises with bent knee, pain is deep. When it flares then the gastrocnemius starts to get tight too. I handled a walk/run on 12/24 that went okay. Still some pain and stiffness, but at least was moving. Going to see the PT tomorrow before heading to CO for a week. Really hoping to not lose too much fitness. With all the travel I've had trouble accessing pool/bike. Should actually be easier once in CO, but we'll see.

Ace: A cautionary note, based on my own experience with soleus strains.  Whenever I ran to the point where I actually felt pain, it delayed my recovery, not by a day or two, but a week or more.  I would feel completely fine early in a run, and in the course of a dozen strides or less, I went from pain-free to sidelined.  In my opinion, this is one instance where it is better to be conservative (that may or may not be a political reference, hahaha...).

Katia77

Ace - not sure if you remember but last June I had a calf injury that came out of nowhere and I couldn’t run more than 2 miles until October (and by that point I was pretty pregnant).  Honestly what finally cured it was a session of dry needling. The chiropractor I go to was hesitant to do it until u was in my second trimester, but once I felt ok, it literally never got that bad again. I’m a total convert (and a natural skeptic - I do med mal defense), but I’ve done it for sore calves and this Achilles is due ive been having. (Took some time off for that, but just cut way back)

re- combining threads.. I’m fine with it. I totally hope to get into sub 3 land one day, but my body keeps revolting. In good news, AT is getting better, and I’m back up to 20 mpw and 8 mi at a time. Bad news.. my kids gave me the second stomach virus they’ve had in a month, and today’s run was a joke.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

AceHarris

Katia : I did dry needling for a hip issue 18 months ago and it seemed to help. The PT I go to uses it a fair amount, so we’ll see. Actually I’m in the waiting area now.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Beryl, you are insane.  And I mean that in the nicest way. 

I am really only an occasional lurker these days, and sub-3:20 is as out of my reach as sub-3, so I will probably treat a combined thread the same way, that is, sometimes pop in and see what people are up to.