2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

pepperjack

pie man

I drove up to do the Brooklyn mile a few years back and didn’t have any real issue.  Not much traffic when you leave at 5am (an hour closer to ny helps too).

35 miles last week with a ‘workout’ and a trail run.  I think the track I used in lakeport was short and had the usual bumps and puddles.  Upper lake might actually be above average for this neck of the woods.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

berylrunner

Rick

Wishing Rovotti well with surgery and speedy recovery.

Darkwave- nice race.  Well done.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Thanks for the well-wishes all!    My surgery is done.  I'm popping tylenols with my leg propped up.

A large lump of scar tissue  was removed from my quad tendon (and the tendon repaired)...hopefully my patella will appreciate it.

Not sure yet when I can start running (or doing quad rehab) but in the meantime, maybe I can put on some upper body muscle?

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

After a pitiful January of only 84 miles

Holy crap, I ran more than you did!  (100 and some change.)

Heal up fast and well, Rovatti.

I'm about to register for my first race in, uh, two years?  Good old Steamworks half in early June, done it five times (and volunteered at it a few times too), fills up fast so I have to commit.  I'm hoping though to do a 10M or 10K in April (that is, there is an April race that has both of those distances and I'm not yet sure which one I want to do.  I've never done either).

Running Problem

Problem Child

Not sure yet when I can start running (or doing quad rehab) but in the meantime, maybe I can put on some upper body muscle?

12 ounces curls. Work your way up to 16s.

training was canceled for the past two days. Caring for a 14 month old* is kind of unmotivating when combined with a snowstorm. I had to actually shovel snow this morning and work allowed us 2 hours to get in.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Speed Surplus

Hope you have a speedy recovery and lots of pain-free running in your future, rovatti!

Realized I didn't post a weekly yet this week. Ended up getting one workout in - 5x1k @ 3:53, 3:50, 3:51, 3:53, 3:46 with 4 min rests. It was cold and pretty windy. I closed the 3:46 with a hard effort, but it wasn't all-out by any means. I'm thinking 19:30 is right in my wheelhouse, with maybe more like 19:15 on a good day. That said, I'm feeling really fit and fresh on my easy days - HR generally lower than it has been at those paces. Maybe I'm getting close to a breakthrough.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
              Mon 4.4 8:15 0:36 Calf was cramping a bit so I cut it short 143 (78%) 168 strava
              Mon 0.7 8:10 0:05 Still had to hobble back to work. HRM went crazy 169 (92%) 0 strava
              Tue 6.6 8:27 0:56 Calves were better so I did a couple short hills at the end 136 (74%) 243 strava
              Wed 6.3 8:22 0:52 Nice views 134 (73%) 300 strava
              Thu 9.4 8:21 1:18 Got the loop right this time, but not sure I love the route 145 (79%) 519 strava
              Fri 5.2 8:34 0:44 Easy treadmill still took enough out of me to make me fail a Peloton power challenge 142 (77%) 0 strava
              Fri 1.1 2:18 0:02 2 min 27 sec Just Ride 0 (0%) 0 strava
              Sun 5.9 8:06 0:48 5x1k, 4 min rests. 3:53, 3:50, 3:51, 3:53, 3:46 146 (79%) 0 strava
              Sun 1.1 8:52 0:10 CD 167 (91%) 95 strava
                40.7 8:12 5:33     1325

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rovatti - Glad the docs have patched things up for you successfully. Speedy recovery. Then a speedy return to speed.

Ilana - You very nearly had me beat in mileage as well. Good to hear you're signing up for races again!

Brew - Shoveling snow is solid cross training. Not that I've had to do that for many, many years.

Finally got in a good TM run this morning. Looking forward to spending some time in the mountains.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Katia77

Rovatti - healing thoughts!!

Ace - sounds like it was a good time to take a break.  Sorry you've been sick.

Ilana - yay for getting miles in!

Brew - we've had snow dumped on us, too.

Dwave - still crushing it, as usual.  Smile

Nothing exciting here, just checking in. I've had some sort of cold since New Years, which is a total drag.  Still spinning and doing yoga, and eating ice cream.. 

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Nothing exciting here, just checking in. I've had some sort of cold since New Years, which is a total drag.  Still spinning and doing yoga, and eating ice cream.. 

Ain't you ready to pop in a few weeks? I'm currently partial to a pint a night of Ben and Jerry's. One Love seems to be "my jam" currently. Others include American Dram, Tonight Dough, Cookie Dough, Half Baked (including non-0dairy peanut butter version) and all the "Boom/Core" varities and I'm not a massive chocolate fan. I avoid Phish food because it's a little too gooey. Almost like half melted ice cream.

officially signed up for a marathon. Stupid me didn't do it sooner. "Oh it's only $5 more if I wait." turns into (FAWK! FAWK! FAWK! FAWK! FAWK! FAWK)"Oh they sold out and only have "Charity" openings for an extra $100. I'd almost rather re-run Chicago for the price. Southwest here I come. Guess I'll have to get serious about that 4/20 marathon slash play date. Maybe even do a 5+ downhill run at goal pace or harder. Maybe this will motivate me. Sunday is another volunteering opportunity. Also snow.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

rovatti, glad surgery went well and good luck with recovery!!!

ilana- yay racing, and a good month of running!!!

a teeny bit of snow sprinkled on some bay area peaks earlier this week. crazy. i also wore gloves in SF for the very first time on a 44 degree run last week. i am still just working on getting my mileage up - ran 114 in januaryy. was sick half of last week and am skiing for a few days now, so nothing to write home about currently. double digit runs are getting easier, though.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

fb-guy

Hey all. As one of the original members of the group (I joined when Nick (the first one) set it up in 2008), I didn't want to just disappear. But, the time seems right for me to become a hobby runner -- I'll never be able to do the crazy stuff that Max does, and my more serious racing days are behind me. So I've decided to not run Barstow, and instead start running slow, but hopefully fun, touristy marathons closer to home.

It has been such a pleasure being part of this group for more than a decade. We've shared great races, pre-race dinners, parties and even gambling in Las Vegas. It's seen a big part of my life, and I've been lucky enough to make real friends, in the real, physical world. I feel so fortunate that many of you younger people were so nice to a (slightly) older guy. Thanks to everyone for all those memories.

Now, I'm running 50-60 miles a week and hoping to stay healthy, but no long runs and zero speed workouts, and I'm hoping to run Freiburg in April and Geneva in May. Who knows, maybe a trail 50K in the summer. All stupid slow. Yay old.

If anybody is going to be in the middle of Europe for a mid-size marathon and wants to meet up, let me know! We've move to Burgundy in France. Rovatti knows how to find me.

Stay healthy!

FB

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Katia - thanks for showing up - feel free to make it a habit Smile

Brewing - which marathon?

fb-runner - not racing doesn't mean that you have to disappear.  Obviously, do whatever you feel is right, but I would love to still have you here, even if only occasionally (and the same applies to Nick, of course).

hi to all others - Rovatti - how goes the recovery?

My week: 62 miles, 16 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming:
                          M: Yoga and 8 "miles" pool-running
                          T: 12 miles, including 2x1600, 2x800, 2x400 in 6:19, 6:09, 2:57, 2:54, 83, 81.  Also leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                          W: 8 miles very easy (9:08), yoga, and 4 miles very easy (8:59) plus drills/strides
                          Th: upper body weights/core and 8 "miles" pool-running.
                          F: 12 miles, including an 8K tempo on the track in 33:04 (6:44/6:36/6:37/6:36/6:30).  Also leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                          Sa: 10 miles very easy (8:36) followed by drills and strides, and then upper body weights/core and some DIY yoga
                          Su:  16 miles progressive - first 5 miles averaging 8:39, next 5 miles averaging 7:36, last 6 miles averaging 6:55.  Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

My knee looks like a cantaloupe with a 3" scar down the side.

I'm walking OK, but it's tight.  Still not sure when I'll be running,

In the meantime, I'll be monitoring all y'all's training...  so no slacking off.

OMR

FB:  I'm with Dwave, and I would love to head over to Europe at some point for some trail running or touristy marathons.  50-60 miles/week is pretty good for "hobby jogging."  ;-)

Rovatti:  Glad to hear the surgery went well, hope the swelling goes down so you can start thinking about running again.

Hey all.  My week...

M:  4 @ 8:36

T:  12 @ 10:54 w/1900' elevation

W:  Rest (planned)

T:  Rest (unplanned...blizzard)

F:  10 @ 10:18 w/1900' elevation

S:  12 @ 9:14

S:  22 @ 10:33 w/3100+' elevation

Total:  60M, 6900' elevation.  Third 60M week in a row for me...almost starting to feel like a runner again.  A slow runner, but a runner none-the-less.

Running Problem

Problem Child

darkwave Revel ant Charleston. Saturday April 27 something like 10 Saturdays away. Also, don't forget kev4x100. He was always good for cold running information/advice/lack of empathy.

Rovatti great. Just what I need. More eyes on training or lack there of. Heal up proper. Wouldn’t want to come back and need more surgery in 2-3 years. Plus I could use all the coaching advice possible.

12” of snow Saturday night. Some crazy people went out for a long run Sunday. I stayed inside watching movies.

VDOT 53.37