My week:

M - 40min

T - 40min

W - rest

T - 40min

F - 40min

S - 40min

S - 1h10min

all easy between 9:1x and 9:5x. Slow, but consistent.

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

darkwave

Mother of Cats

. Rovatti knows how to find me.

That sounded very gangsta.

It echoes a classic flounce on Slowtwitch - something like "see you in Kona, Paolo knows how to find me"

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

AceHarris

FB: you’ll be missed. Have fun being a “non-runner” and running more than most of us! Haha. Enjoy it!

Brew: which race did you sign up for? You probably said, but I missed it.

katia: when are you due? How are you feeling?

Had a decent week on my new, 4 runs a week “plan”. 35 miles with a moderate 4 mile tempo on Tuesday (6:43), 13 on Sat with a little pickup at 7:00 for 2.5 miles with working a big hill at the end. The rest was easy miles.

My first MTP joint on my left foot has started hurting after runs. I’m about ready for new shoes, hopefully that’s it. Doesnt really bother me while running.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew: which race did you sign up for? You probably said, but I missed it.

Had a decent week on my new, 4 runs a week “plan”. 35 miles with a moderate 4 mile tempo on Tuesday (6:43), 13 on Sat with a little pickup at 7:00 for 2.5 miles with working a big hill at the end. The rest was easy miles.

My first MTP joint on my left foot has started hurting after runs. I’m about ready for new shoes, hopefully that’s it. Doesnt really bother me while running.

Revel Mt. Charleston just north of Lost Wages, NV. April 27. Saturday race and it’s the 24 miles of downhill I’m afraid of. You should be receiving something from Squash Performance this week from the purple truck. I’m not a fan of the brown truck for location reasons. I think 35 MPW is good mentally. More time for dad stuff like shoveling snow or 16 Oz curls.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Speed Surplus

Brew: So you're going for the Revel course, eh? What's the total elevation drop? I was absolutely wrecked after Tunnel, even though during the race it didn't ever feel like severe downhill. Don't skip (downhill running) leg day!

Sam: That's a pretty decent amount of running. Planning on training up into race shape? Is the hip behaving?

FB: God speed. Someone will be here, if and when you decide to drop by again.

DW: Nice 8k tempo, as always your workouts look incredibly strong.

My week. We had Snowmageddon here in Seattle, so this was really the best I could do. It was difficult to even get to the community center and hope that one of their two treadmills would be free...

Still feeling really fit and hoping I can continue to build on it for next month's 5k.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
            Mon 2.2 10:09 0:22 Best I could do in these conditions 122 (66%) 91 strava
            Tue 6.6 9:12 1:00 Bless the community center treadmill 133 (72%) 0 strava
            Tue 0.4 0:02 0:00 Distance missed by garmin indoors 0 (0%) 0 strava
            Wed 6.9 8:44 1:00 Actually 7.0 - touched on MP and 5k pace in last 0.5 or so 132 (72%) 0 strava
            Fri 9.6 7:55 1:15 Well, this run had it all. 162 (88%) 279 strava
            Sun 7.1 8:27 0:59 Another snow day treadmill run 139 (76%) 0 strava
              32.8 8:30 4:38     370

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

Sam: That's a pretty decent amount of running. Planning on training up into race shape? Is the hip behaving?

One step at a time. I want to see the consistency pay off and the paces go down.

As if picking up running again wasn't enough, I am applying for professor jobs all over the world. Planning a race not knowing in which continent you will be in is kind of a challenge. There's a big chance I am moving back to the UK... or NY... or Florida... or California.

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

Running Problem

Problem Child

clever It's something like 5,000 ft. 7,600 down to 2,500. Not looking forward to it. Hoping to do some 7-8 mile downhill runs with the RB doing it for his first. Plus proximity to family (free lodging and transportation, maybe free meals), timing (it might snow in Truckee around the Oakland Marathon) and nutrition. I'm also convincing myself it's the same time everyone is training for their April 2019 marathon so I might as well get accustomed to the crappy training weather. Since DW is leaving town about 2 weeks later it's going to be a solo trip. I'm sure she wouldn't mind me getting my 4/20/20 play date without her because she could just sleep in and wish me luck "because last time when you PR'd..."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

One step at a time. I want to see the consistency pay off and the paces go down.

This is my current philosophy as well.

Speed Surplus

Training question, as I have about 4 weeks to go before my goal 5K.

What kind of workout is better for 5K specific performance? Tempos at threshhold pace (20 mins or so) or long intervals at near 5k pace? (1k or mile repeats)

I've done a little bit of both, but wondering if I should keep mixing it up or focus on one or the other.

I'm leaning toward a tempo today - change my mind! (Or don't)

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

darkwave

Mother of Cats

What kind of workout is better for 5K specific performance? Tempos at threshhold pace (20 mins or so) or long intervals at near 5k pace? (1k or mile repeats)

I've done a little bit of both, but wondering if I should keep mixing it up or focus on one or the other.

Both.

(sorry)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

FB - I'll echo what DWave and OMR have said. Enjoy France. Don't the French have some little trail race around a White Mountain? That could be fun to jog.

Rovatti - Glad the recovery seems to be going well.

Brew - 12" is a ton of snow. At least for me. Best of luck with training before Charleston.

Ace - Hopefully new shoes help with the foot.

Clever - I'd actually lean toward something in the middle. 800's to 1,200's at ~10k pace, or just a touch faster. Maybe 1:10-:1:15 jog to 1:45-1:45 jog after depending on length of interval.
                        What qualifies as "snowmageddon' for Seattle? Around here that's about 2"-4".

I'm back from the mountains! Had lots of fun going down the bunny slopes with DD1 & DD2, and even managed to get on the Strava leader boards for a couple runs. Red River is a very small little town (about 500 people, a bit larger than my home town), but I was shocked at how many "local" people I saw there. Multiple people wearing shirts from towns quite close to my home town, plus two runners from my local area were also on the slopes there at the same time.
                        Zero running was had while I was there, which was what I expected. Just not enough time in the day. The two marathons I have planned for this spring are seeming more daunting now, even when treating them as long training runs. Definitely trying to take the long view regarding running, though I can't help myself wanting to try getting in 10k+ or so in the morning, then another shorter run a bit later in the day.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

sc: what she said.

Both.

(sorry)

I'll push you towards the Hanson's approach with speed work on Tuesdays and tempo/race paced workouts on Thursday, or whatever days work with your schedule. Apparently they work totally different systems and you need both to work together for a fast 5K. It seems to work for some people enough they go back to it.

Also: https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20806851/solving-the-5k-puzzle/

I was sent this last year when I  was going after my sub 20 attempt. I think I sabotaged that myself in other ways.

keen yeah. It's raining with 20+ mph winds for the next few days. KILLS motivation to do a 7 mile run at 10 seconds faster than GMP...which doesn't work well with last week's apathy. Oh and I'm sure you'll find the motivation to put in a few 40-50 mile weeks for marathon training. If you're not going for a PR, and focusing on a long training run, I'd stick with that. Even if it's a horrible 4 hour suffer fest you'll still be finishing a marathon...which in itself is an accomplishment most people would be proud of. Maybe some Local Running Store runs would help, or "team" runs with people from work doing the marathon. April isn't THAT soon...is it?

max I recently considered reactivating my face page account to ask questions (mostly how to smuggle an axe on course) about crewing. I left the pages because of my attitude (negative towards everything) and needed to focus. I hope you appreciate the pain I'm willing to endure (not being negative, or bragging, or talking about WS100 CREWING daily) for your race.

Currently reading this map. Coupled with the Google Earth overlay, and accompanying website I'm a little excited about this. Possibly more than my marathon training. Everyone knows how marathon training can be. Anyone know if there is a way to hack GPS watches so I can live track using satellites instead of cell data?

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - We don't have rain in the forecast, but winds are certainly there (15-30 actual/predicted for today to Saturday) and that does hit my motivation. I don't mind running in most any weather, but I have an unnatural hatred for running in winds around/above 15mph. Random: 40* in Oklahoma feels about like 25-30 in the NM mountains. Blasted humidity!
                            Definitely just doing these as a training run. I'm hoping to make some of the weekly LRS runs just to get around some other runners, and hoping for running club LRs as well. The latter may be difficult after this weekend due to DD1 & DD2 starting soccer (possible morning games), though I might can make the former on days that soccer practice happens (since I have to miss them thanks to them starting before work is over).
                            The April "race" isn't too much of a concern now, but the one at the end of March is looming large.

According to that page it looks like running WS is relatively more straightforward than crewing for WS.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

De-lurk, because it's fun to answer training questions.

As DW said, both. But, since this is a marathon thread, I imagine your body is better at threshold effort than V02 max effort. I could be completely wrong because I don't know your history, but if so, I would focus on 1K repeats a bit faster than 5K pace but continue to keep up your threshold ability.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Katia77

katia: when are you due? How are you feeling?

My C-section is scheduled for March 21. I feel pretty huge even though I'm only up to 130 lbs (was 10 lbs higher last time around this point), and I'm so.tired.of.being.sick. it's going on 6 weeks with some kind of cold, and the last one turned into a sinus infection. Other than that fine. lol. Good to see you slowly getting back into things.

Brew - interested to see how the Revel race goes for you. I probably look about ready to pop but I have 5 more weeks.

SC - it's been snowing everywhere. Hopefully this week calms down a bit for you.

CK - sounds like a fun ski trip!

I've been really sick still so haven't done anything. Hoping to be able to at least do a spin class on Friday. The decreased immune system part of pregnancy SUCKS.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)