2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

I've done a little bit of both 

define 'a little bit of both'. vo2max stuff saturates in a couple of weeks while tempos don't have that disadvantage.

also, mandatory reminder that mile repeats are not for everyone. 6 mins at vo2max is the recommended ceiling, and a damn tough one to reach. there's nothing wrong with doing 1200s or 1000s.

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

JMac11

RIP Milkman

also, mandatory reminder that mile repeats are not for everyone. 6 mins at vo2max is the recommended ceiling, and a damn tough one to reach. there's nothing wrong with doing 1200s or 1000s.

+1. Mile repeats are only after you've been doing weeks of V02 work and are more of a final workout before your peak race, the equivalent of 14 at marathon pace. I tried doing 1200s recently after no V02 work for months and I couldn't even do half the reps at 10 seconds slower than VDOT indicates.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

De-lurk, because it's fun to answer training questions.

I figured it was because we weren't being a bunch of *plural inappropriate term* and focused on races, training, and getting better. Maybe it's because we run slower most of the time. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Speed Surplus

define 'a little bit of both'. vo2max stuff saturates in a couple of weeks while tempos don't have that disadvantage.

Here are my recent workouts.

1/18: 5x1000, 4 min rests

3:55, 3:55, 3:49, 3:54, 3:51

1/26: 5k tempo

6:40, 6:34, 6:30, 38.6 (final 200).

2/3: 5x1000, 4 min rests

3:53, 3:50, 3:51, 3:53, 3:46

I couldn't get a workout in last week due to ice and snow. I also couldn't really get one in yesterday for the same reasons - the track was still a blanket of snow.

Hoping the roads are clear enough for a tempo today.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

Here are my recent workouts.

just keep it up. it's a good regime.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That's a good regimen. Make sure you are keeping up with strides on some easy days, as having that turnover is crucial for 5Ks. One of my favorite (Jack Daniels) workouts for 5Ks is a combo workout of threshold and speed work. Maybe something like 5x1 mile at LT with 1 minute rests, followed by 4x200m at mile pace with 200m jog recoveries, or even 4x400 if you feel up for it. Those 200/400 meter repeats on tired legs do a great job of simulating what is needed to turn over your legs at a fast pace when very tired.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

kcam

Agree.  One of the key workouts that helped me, I think, the most when I was really in good shape was what my friend/mentor called the "Big Workout".  I think that comes from Tinman, who he was coached by about 10 years ago.

I'd do about 4 miles of easy warmup then hit the track for 6X1600 at my half marathon pace (cruise intervals according to Daniels?) with 200 jog recovery.  Then 4x200 with 200 jog recovery, for exactly the reasons Jmac11 mentioned.  Then 4 miles of easy jogging after.  I was doing probably 70-80 miles week in / week out for a long time so I could handle that kind of workout.  They really put the icing on the cake for the half marathon and marathon which is what I was most focused on then.  Boy those were the days!

SomethingClever - That's a nice set of workouts.  Your post is what made me post today.  I ran a thousands workout similar to yours.  I do my intervals on a Jones Counter measured bike path.  It's a nice, straight 3200m section where I've got unobtrusive marks every 100m and a bigger mark every 400m.  I can run all kinds of 'track' workouts out there with those marks.  Today was a 5X1000 workout in prep for my 5K on Feb 24th.  My workout:

6X1000 at 5K pace (I hope!) then 6X100.

4:20 (3:18), 4:20 (2:22), 4:20 (3:48), 4:20 (2:58), 4:18 (3:56), 4:19

2:49 rest

20.6, 21.7, 19.9, 18.8, 19.2, 18.6

These were all in the pouring rain on a lonely, deserted stretch of bikepath so I feel good that I toughed this one out.  My recoveries were kinda all over the place as I'd walk a little then jog some until the next one.  No set distance or time.  I should probably get those recoveries 'standard' next time.  I lost track in the middle of how many I'd done and ended up doing an extra one (it was supposed to be 5X1000).   I have good confidence of holding that same pace for the 5K on Feb 24th.  Just keep on keepin' on.

Speed Surplus

Well, all that and I failed the tempo today. In my defense, I had to run it on a treadmill as there is still no decent dry patch of ground outside to get up to tempo speed.

Did 2 miles warmup, then 2 miles at 6:45 and decided I was working too hard for that pace, so finished out with a few more miles of jogging and one 400 at the end at close to mile pace. 7 miles total.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well, all that and I failed the tempo today. In my defense, I had to run it on a treadmill as there is still no decent dry patch of ground outside to get up to tempo speed.

Did 2 miles warmup, then 2 miles at 6:45 and decided I was working too hard for that pace, so finished out with a few more miles of jogging and one 400 at the end at close to mile pace. 7 miles total.

If it makes you feel better I canceled my threshold run due to weather.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I feel compelled to make a screwshoes comment.  Is it still too soon?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

mattw4jc

This is local to where I live. I know the dog owners and have met Famiglietti a couple of times. The video in the article is kind of fun to watch.

Anthony Famiglietti Fastest Mile With a Dog Record

Speed Surplus

I legit thought about making some screwshoes, but the problem is that there are also large swaths of completely dry pavement.

So I made screwshoes and wore them on the treadmill.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I was thinking about him the other day. He did Mt. Charleston but I couldn't remember what year. I was trying to find his race report. Is he still on the triathlon forums?

VDOT 53.37 

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

Nope, timing is perfect. This is the internet after all, it was built so we can mock people.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

will come out of hibernation to give kudos on the screwshoes commentary

_________________________________________________
                                mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58