2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

It was -2F driving in to work this morning. I found out 30 minutes later that work was closed until 10 (3 hour delay for me). I had planned to get my 8 mile GMP workout in today after work because the snow SHOULD melt. I'm now patiently waiting for work to tel me I can leave at 1:00pm so I can do my workout early AND go to dinner.

I didn't get a text message from work even after signing up for their text notifications. The governor sent out a tweet. I hate twitter.

to add insult to injury I’m now considering myself sick. Third M packed workout missed. First two due to weather. Not happy about this.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

runethechamp

Thanks for the tips kcam and dwave. I will definitely try to use some heat, although I also have to do the opposite at the moment and ice to try to knock some of the swelling down after my last setback. The swelling impacts my sciatic nerve and that's no fun.

No swimming so far this week. Rest on Monday, birthday on Tuesday, work travel on Wednesday, and other crap coming up yesterday. Will get two in this weekend at least.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

pepperjack

pie man

Running a 5k in Healdsburg in the morning.  Was in classroom training all week so I should be nice and rested.  Also after the week of training I’m a type II firefighter.  So that’s a thing that happened.  (Looking to do archaeology on fires in the future, so I don’t think I’ll have to do actual fire fighting unless something has gone seriously wrong). In only slightly related news I have tentatively accepted my next season position and I’m moving across the valley to Lassen NF (the forest not the actual national park).  Should be good to go at the end of may.  I’ll be in Chester at the Almandor district.  Expect some PCT gps tracks in the not too distant future.  I had an offer to Colville in eastern Washington, which I did consider but opted for a smaller move.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Running a 5k in Healdsburg in the morning.  Was in classroom training all week so I should be nice and rested.  Also after the week of training I’m a type II firefighter.  So that’s a thing that happened.  (Looking to do archaeology on fires in the future, so I don’t think I’ll have to do actual fire fighting unless something has gone seriously wrong). In only slightly related news I have tentatively accepted my next season position and I’m moving across the valley to Lassen NF (the forest not the actual national park).  Should be good to go at the end of may.  I’ll be in Chester at the Almandor district.  Expect some PCT gps tracks in the not too distant future.  I had an offer to Colville in eastern Washington, which I did consider but opted for a smaller move.

Man I thought you’d have been fire trained already after the summer. Should be a nice area for the 5k.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

I was probably good to go, but I had to actually pass a few tests.  Written, and the pack test which was 3 miles in 45 minutes (no running, but no sweat).  The 45 pounds I had to carry was a little sweat.

race was kinda meh,  course was weird with two loops around a parking lot.  But mostly I went out optimistically and couldn’t hold anywhere near 6 pace so that was it.  Legs felt less than fresh for a week of classroom.  Such is these things.

kcam

pepperjack - "couldn't hold anywhere near 6"?!  LOL, coming from different places!

I ran the Davis Stampede 5K this morning and ran pretty well.  I exceeded my most optimistic guess at finish time with a 21:10 (I had thought a VERY good day would be 21:20).  We had ideal conditions to run with 45F temp, overcast skies and no wind.  The course did have a few ups and downs but nothing too bad.  I feel sure I could have broken 21 on a better managed course.  There was a 10K and 1/2Mar that started about 15 minutes ahead of our race and they ran on the same bikepaths.  We started encountering walkers and slow runners about 1.5 miles into the race and it got progressively worse all the way to the end.  Lot of zigging and zagging and jumping into the trail trash on the side of the paths to pass people.  Had to slow down to almost a walk for about 15 seconds as I tried to pass some ladies taking up the whole path as we went through a tunnel (no way to go around them).  Did get to break free for the final 500 yards as we turned for the finish and they kept going straight.

I ran the track 5K at 7:12 pace for 22:20 about 4 weeks ago and today was 6:49 pace for 21:10.  No niggles or pains and the hamstring is 100%.  Very happy but, gawd, I need to lose weight.

kcam - nice!  way to represent, and I'm sure you'll get faster.

brew - I watched Daytona in complete ignorance.  I think I like restrictor plates though.

OMR - your job is STRESSING ME OUT

I'm rehabbing my knee, which looks like a lumpy grapefruit...

Hey to everybody!

Running Problem

Problem Child

brew - I watched Daytona in complete ignorance.  I think I like restrictor plates though.

I wouldn’t be surprised to find out you enjoy Bud Light. Damn Yankees.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

PJ - I saw the course on Strava - that looked ridiculous.

Kcam - nice job - too bad about the course management issues, but certainly a good sign for the trend of your fitness.

Rovatti - hope the knee shifts to orange size soon.

Brewing - when you write "damn yankees" I think of the 80s hair metal band.

I raced an 8K on Saturday - wasn't happy with it - I'm hoping the time (slower than I expected) was due to weather and lack of competition, not overestimating my fitness.   Race report is here.

Also, my week:

My week: 44 miles, 16 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming:
                    M: Yoga and 8.5 "miles" pool-running
                    T: 12 miles, including 7x800 (400m jog between) in 3:09, 3:03, 3:02, 3:01, 3:00, 2:54, 2:55.  Also leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                    W: 6 miles very easy (9:36) ending just as the snow started to stick.  DIY yoga at home
                    Th: light upper body weights/core and 7.5 "miles" pool-running.
                    F: 4 miles very easy (9:27) and DIY yoga
                    Sa: 3 mile warm-up, 8K race in 31:27, 3 mile cooldown. later 1000 yards recovery swimming
                    Su:  10 easy (8:32), drills+strides, yoga.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think this would then fit into me and max's axe murdering "relationship" and affinity for elevation. Our encounters always seem to last for less than 24 hours and "I was running for the door. The next thing I remember I was running back for more." seems to fit.

So I've missed 3 weeks of training. 90% due to weather. This weekend was a fever. I got the speed workouts in but not the Marathon paced workouts in (one 7 miler, one 8 miler) and NOW I'm looking at 20MPH winds plus ANOTHER bleeping WINTER storm. At least this one is rain. MY ONLY approach at this point is to treat Hanson's as a 12 week plan minus 3 weeks. They discuss missing this much training. I think it's geared more towards a beginner runner because they'd pretty much tell me to quit training, pick another race, or reevaluate my goals for this race. The plan for the next 9 weeks has a lot of Marathon pace or faster work for longer runs (1-3 mile repeats, 8-10 miles M pace) along with 50-60 mile weeks. If I was training for Boston I wouldn't care ONLY because that race is a "one and done" for me with a GOAL of visiting some of the history out there. Right NOW the goal is a BQ with a huge downhill advantage and massive PR along with mental strength. At least we're getting away from the -2F temperature I had driving to work Friday. I hate missing the M paced workouts ESPECIALLY since I hit the ONE I did pretty well which was a BIG confidence boost that week. So it's more mile repeats at 6:15ish pace then switching gears to lots of 7:00/mi paced runs. At least I have my travel, packet pickup, and accommodations (family) figured out for the most part.

VDOT 53.37 

Speed Surplus

Brew, I may be misunderstanding, but did you used to have a treadmill? If you have access to one (gym, community center, etc) I'd just slog through all the runs and even workouts on one through the bad weather. Set the incline to 1% and it's supposedly the same effect as running outside. And it starts to suck very quickly, which is great mental training for the marathon.

PJ: So what was the time?

kcam: Always nice to run faster than you expect. Congrats!

rovatti: That sounds disturbing... what does the rehab involve?

darkwave: What were you hoping for in the 8k? Sub-30? Your time looks impressive to me.

My week: Lost Monday and Tuesday to a strained hamstring, but it's all better now. Had a decent 7 mile progression into tempo run yesterday where I went 8:02/7:46/7:44/6:53/6:44/6:49/6:25 - it bumped my watch VO2 estimate to 58. But then the cooldown took 3 points off that when my HR was inexplicably 10 beats higher than during the workout ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                        Wed 3.3 9:00 0:30 Babying hamstring - strained it chopping wood on Monday like an idiot 119 (65%) 0 strava
                        Thu 6.1 8:14 0:50 Hamstring getting better, still a little tight 134 (73%) 0 strava
                        Fri 18.6 3:14 1:00 The ebike rides again! 135 (73%) 996 strava
                        Fri 5.4 8:01 0:43 Quick one 140 (76%) 0 strava
                        Fri 18.6 3:14 1:00 Completing the bike/run/bike trifecta 131 (71%) 780 strava
                        Sat 4.5 8:14 0:36 Snow's finally gone 142 (77%) 208 strava
                        Sun 7.1 7:10 0:50 Progression to tempo-ish run. ~4 miles of work with 400m close in 84 148 (80%) 0 strava
                        Sun 4.4 8:17 0:36 CD 157 (85%) 96 strava
                          68.0 5:25 6:08     2080

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

pepperjack

pie man

My watch had something like 20:03 and I usually stop it late so I might say 19:59?  Oddly I also ran into slower traffic on the course, but I was pretty much over it by then.  After the similar fun run style levee race in December where I managed sub 19 this is just whatever, decent workout and all that.  Don’t regret going down there at all in any regard.

Running Problem

Problem Child

sc: I gave the treadmill away. I have access to one at my mother in laws. I'm unsure about speed work on a treadmill however I could power through a long run on there. 10' tv screen and NASCAR = grandma/grandson time.

How did you get the strava week to post?

max This made me think of you. Another one of our windy days. https://www.nevadadot.com/travel-info/road-conditions/traffic-cameras Two semi trucks appear to be flipped over.

VDOT 53.37 

Speed Surplus

brew: use this link

http://rwol-weekly.appspot.com/weekly/2017-01-02?maxhr=0&thisweek=Current+Week

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

kcam

Thanks for the encouragement, folks!

SomethingClever - Very cool link!  Last week's summary:

Weekly Summary
                                Monday, Feb 18, 2019 thru Sunday, Feb 24, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Description Link
                                Tue 2.2 8:47 Lunch Run strava
                                Tue 4.9 8:13 Lunch Run strava
                                Tue 2.1 9:08 Lunch Run strava
                                Wed 5.1 9:11 Lunch Run strava
                                Sat 5.0 9:34 Morning Run strava
                                Sun 2.6 9:35 Morning Run strava
                                Sun 3.1 6:48 Morning Run strava
                                  25.0 8:48