2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

OMR

This week in academia:  SPRING BREAK!  (couldn’t come soon enough...)

I’m way behind on reading, but will hopefully go back and catch up soon.  In the meantime, the Old Pueblo 50M was last Saturday.  Official results aren’t in yet, but I finished around 12 and a half hours.  RR is here for those who are interested...

OMR - nice comeback for your knee and nice RR!  I'm sure it was mentally therapeutic. Next race is 100m?  ooof.

PJ - bad idea...

SC, Keen, Brew (and of course DW) - nice training weeks!

My knee is still swollen, but not painful for jogging.... I'll start posting weeklies soon.

pepperjack

pie man

Miwok doesn’t even do a waiting list.  Given that every 100k WS qualifier around here has been full for ages I don’t think people are going to give up those spots very easily.

Never summer is pretty crazy.  I even checked that one but it’s sold out.  Figured it was too crazy to fill up.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

OMR

rovatti:  Thanks, it was definitely therapeutic.  I was pleased with how well my knee held up.  I was having some pain in the area of the surgery the week before race day, but never felt anything during the actual race.  Official results are in...

Time:  12:34:15
          Overall Place: 24th
          Age Group Place: 2nd (first place was 2 hours ahead of me.)

Hope you are back to running (and posting weeklies) soon!

kcam

Man, you folks are putting in some nice weeks.  Good job.  Hopefully these weeks I'm seeing here will motivate me.

Good luck on your race, SC. Sounds like you like the Lunaracers better - I'd go with those even though they have some miles on them.  One less thing for you to worry/think about on race day.

My week was not great but better than last week.  Ended up with 41 miles with two good workouts (the 6X800 and a long, for me, 12 miler on Sunday).  Missed two days of running last week.    I really need to start getting consistent in getting some good weeks in (defined as mileage >50mpw, workouts are not critical at all at this point in my fitness).  I have a 10mile race coming up on April 7th and then a 5K on April 14th and both are important to me.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

OMR - I've got the RR queued up.

Rovatti - Thanks, and I'm excited for you to be posting weeklies again.

I may or may not have a problem relating to information-based training. I'm looking at trying to adjust a cycling-based, adaptive training platform for running. I'll have a long time to play with this before any races come up, should I decide to stick with it.

Schools are being strange in OK. Yesterday the area schools were cancelled for "cold". No snow, no ice, just cold. Temperature just before school was to start was ~10*, wind chill 5-6*. Today school is in. Temperature was ~15*. Wind chill? 5-6*. SMH.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

AceHarris

omr: I’ve added the RR to me reading list, looking forward to it! Congrats on the 50m and making it to Spring Break, I’m not sure which sounds more challenging for you right now.

kcam: nice week even with a couple missed days!

SC: I think you have plenty of time for another workout to keep you sharp. I don’t have much of an opinion on the shoes. For 19:00 minutes I’d lean towards whatever is lighter.

Im still “training”, but not sure what you’d call my current plan. I’m trying to stay between 30-40 MPW, but if it’s pouring rain I’m just not gonna run. Had some good quality last week with a 4x1600 workout, a 9 mile run with 10 x 200 hills, and 14 miles easy on saturday. Ended up with 33.4 miles.

I’m officially on the pace team for the Knoxville Marathon. I’ll be pacing half the marathon for the 3:30 group. I reached out to them months ago, but they had it covered and since then I’ve decreased mileage and definitely didn’t think I’m in 3:30 paving shape. Maybe 3:30 survival mode shape. I’m actually really excited about this. I love encouraging people towards their goals and I have a TON of miles in the books at 8:00 pace.

Any advice for the last 3+ weeks before Cherry Blossom 10 miler? I’d like to get in 3-5 more workouts. Should I focus on intervals from 1000-3200? VO2 reps? Tempos? I’ve been mixing it up, but haven’t really done any VO2 since October.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Any advice for the last 3+ weeks before Cherry Blossom 10 miler? I’d like to get in 3-5 more workouts. Should I focus on intervals from 1000-3200? VO2 reps? Tempos? I’ve been mixing it up, but haven’t really done any VO2 since October.

Ace - I think the answer is both.  A 10 miler is a tempo by definition (you'll be running for about an hour at the pace you can hold for about an hour - so a very hard tempo).  So I would make sure to get at least two tempos in, balancing that out with some VO2Max work.  Maybe one workout of 1600-3200 reps.

SC - you should be able to do workouts up until 5 days or so before the race - a 5K doesn't require as much rest as a longer race, and you don't want to over taper and get stale.  Shoes are up to whatever feels best for you - if there are a lot of turns, the Zoom Fly might not be the best idea.

I wouldn't worry about the shoes feeing hot - it's a short race.  For pacing, I would go with a building effort and then start hammering when you hit the uphill.

Brewing - sorry about the headache.  Could it be electrolytes/hydration?

CK - icing is just so frustrating - it LOOKs like you should be able to run, but you can't.

OMR - thanks for checking in - I'm hoping to get to the report tonight.

Rovatti - happy to hear that we'll be getting weeklies soon!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewing - sorry about the headache.  Could it be electrolytes/hydration?

It could have been. I didn't take any water on the run but it was raining so I was probably hydrated-ish. I also considered what I drank the rest of the day so maybe a lack of water (trying to change this along with reduce coffee intake) along with potential sickness. Excedrin made the headache finally go away however as with most things it was probably a combination. I've never had a migrane but if a 3 day headache of varying severity is what they are they SUCK. Last night's TRX workout had some really weird lack of energy/empty stomach feeling so I cut it short but only ate half of what I expected to at dinner. Lunch was a pork chop with salad and apples. Dinner was some sweet potatoes/bell pepper/chilli that's usually really appealing to me. UPSIDE I did my workout outside and hit some headwinds so mentally it was better. The 15 mph headwind with gusts for my cool down/jog home sucked HARD so I went by feel and it felt like marathon training sucks in the cold and windy environment.

rlk do you know of any 5k/10ks going on around March 15-17? I'll be about an hour south of you in that area where they don't give out mushrooms after a race.

pj Never Summer......FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK THAT. HARD pass.

ace two pieces of advice:

1. Practice at "race pace" for 3:30 leading up to race day. You don't want to take them too fast because it feels like an easy run.

2. Don't take what runners say personally. You're great, and horrible, at pacing at the same time.

I LOL'd at your "training plan" (it's raining...looks like I'm not running today) with the (my) current discussion (bitching) about training in bad (anything not partly cloudy with a light breeze) weather.

omr enjoy the time off. From school, training, and 2 hour defeats.

keen adapative based cycling....what?!?!? English....do you speak it? I assume you're asking how to run by feel based on your gamer cycling friends on Zwift.

EDIT: Saw this and thought of you. Similar situation to me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

Coincidentally Gnar Runners posted a notice that the Never Summer wait list was 71 people and they let in 100 last year, so that's one I could probably get in.  But it's in the middle of field season, so less than ideal.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

AceHarris

Brew: I've been practicing holding that pace and getting a good feel for it. I did 14 miles last weekend, the first half of the course and a little more and avg 7:58 with a range of 7:53-8:05. I still don't know which half of the race I'm pacing. The back half has some course changes from last year due to construction, so I need to get out and run that this weekend.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew: I've been practicing holding that pace and getting a good feel for it. I did 14 miles last weekend, the first half of the course and a little more and avg 7:58 with a range of 7:53-8:05. I still don't know which half of the race I'm pacing. The back half has some course changes from last year due to construction, so I need to get out and run that this weekend.

Maybe you'll get lucky and be allowed to pace both halfs. Good on you for pacing it. It's always been weird for me to pace at something slower than 8:30 but I'm SUPER cautious about pace. I still want to make up a half marathon I paced and had to pick it up for the last 5ish miles.

EDIT: Someone put a few hills in my "massive downhill. Big time BQ/PR" Marathon course. I woudln't call it "downhill" until mile 5. There is a nice mile long climb after 2.0. Slightly pleasing. Slightly annoying as I was looking for that "run a big downhill marathon" PR/BQ hype to be true. The upside is I won't hammer ALL my downhill legs. It's like CIM but kinda different.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

EDIT: Someone put a few hills in my "massive downhill. Big time BQ/PR" Marathon course. I woudln't call it "downhill" until mile 5. There is a nice mile long climb after 2.0. Slightly pleasing. Slightly annoying as I was looking for that "run a big downhill marathon" PR/BQ hype to be true. The upside is I won't hammer ALL my downhill legs. It's like CIM but kinda different.

Your first few miles should be a warm-up anyway.....

Dumping off my week: 60 miles, 16 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming:
                            M : Upper body weights/core and 8 "miles" pool-running in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.
                            T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 2x800, 1600, 2x800, 2x200 in 3:06, 3:02, 6:09, 3:00, 2:52, 41, 40.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.
                            W: 8 miles very easy to yoga (9:06), plus drills and strides, and then yoga.  Followed with another 4 miles very easy (9:04).  Foam rolling at night.
                            Th:  Upper body weights/core and 8 "miles" pool-running in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.
                            F: 14 miles, including an 8K tempo on the track in 32:36 (6:38/6:32/6:31/6:30/6:25).  Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.
                            Sa:  10 miles very easy (8:49), plus drills, 4 hill sprints, upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.
                            Su: 12 miles progressive, split as first 4 averaging 8:46, next 4 averaging 7:21, last 4 averaging 6:51.   Followed with light leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

my week:

M: 5 easy (9:30ish) + weights

T: 5 easy + weights

W: 5 easy + weights

Th: 5 easy + weights

F: 6 easy

S: 1h XT + weights

S: 5 easy (+strides) + weights

total = 31

my knee is still fluid-filled with arthritic patella (gimpy, but not painful)...  time will tell how it adjusts.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

my week:

M: 5 easy (9:30ish) + weights

T: 5 easy + weights

W: 5 easy + weights

Th: 5 easy + weights

F: 6 easy

S: 1h XT + weights

S: 5 easy (+strides) + weights

total = 31

my knee is still fluid-filled with arthritic patella (gimpy, but not painful)...  time will tell how it adjusts.

Yay!yay!yay!yay!yay!yay!