2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Quick dump

m: 6.2 easy miles

T: 10 miles. 6x1 mile at 10 seconds faster than marathon pace with 400 easy jog recovery. 6:53, 6:52, 6:52, 6:49, 6:54, 6:54.

W: 6.11 cold wet miles building mental strength

Th: 8@ GMP. 7 in the 6:58 range and final at 6:51 trying to think of a final kick. Kinda hard to manage 7:00 pace on the flat. Took at Gel around 45 minutes total run time. Some odd stomach feeling for the warm up and around mile 7 or 8. We will see if this stays around for longer miles. No water.

F: 6:46 easy miles

Sa: 14 miles. 2 gels just practicing with 45 minute intervals. No stomach issues.

Su: 6.6ish easy pace broken up just to get my total.

60.1 miles according to (insert your favorite log method) math. I still need to get those long downhill miles in to hammer the brakes. Just to see how it feels. Unsure if it needs to be at race pace or just easy pace.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

kcam

42 miles for the week.  Highlights:

Th - 2 X 3200 at Threshold pace (~7:15) 400 jog recovery followed by 4X200 at 41 seconds each

Sat - 6 X 0.33 hilly intervals fast (My club's 18 X .33 mile Relay Race - 3 runner team each doing 6.  We run around West Valley College campus which is a hilly loop.)

Sun - 15 mile long run.  This is probably the best thing for me right now even over those workouts.  Just need to build mileage at this point.

Came down with some kind of throat thing, phlegmmy but never really made me feel too sick.  I still didn't go out on Tue and Wed, at the height of whatever it is, cause it was raining and cold and didn't want to make it even worse.

pepperjack

pie man

37 here. A kinda similar 10x 0.2 hill workout on a baby hill by upper lake lake hs Friday evening after work.  Pretty consistent at 1:15 plus or minus a second.  Fairly hilly trails right after on Saturday whicks was interesting.

might look for a 5k next weekend somewhere in the Bay Area?

11:11 3,000 (recent)

kcam

Maybe the Shamrockn Run in Sacramento next Sunday? It's on my calendar but I won't be running it as my wife wants to head down to Death Valley to photograph the super bloom of desert flowers next weekend.  I don't mind, hopefully I can get in a few runs there.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - The whole cycling thing is a bit odd I'll admit, but it's also interesting. Basically it throws data from a power meter (Stryd in my case) at some algorithms to see how long you can hold specific outputs. It's pretty interesting to see how well the "we think you can hold X effort for X amount of time" lines up with my real-world PRs.
            Good week.

DWave - Nice week.

Rovatti - Good to see you putting in runs again, especially without pain.

PJ - What's the new avatar? .2 is a baby hill? lol. That's about as long as I can find a really steep hill for my area.

I feel pretty happy with last week, though I should have gotten an extra mile or so during my LR. I just didn't want to stay on the blasted treadmill any longer.
            Had a good workout today, though, and got the feeling afterward that fitness is starting to come back.

Weekly Summary
            Monday, Mar 04, 2019 thru Sunday, Mar 10, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
            Mon 8.1 7:27 7x 800m ~305-310W - Richmond 144 (73%) strava
            Mon 2.7 8:18 What will this do in Xert? - Watopia 129 (66%) strava
            Tue 7.6 8:23 1 owl, 1 icy beard, 0 deer (5 strides anyway) 142 (72%) strava
            Tue 2.8 8:24 What's for lunch? 127 (65%) strava
            Wed 10.1 8:26 Zero animals, 4 strides 138 (70%) strava
            Thu 8.0 7:34 5x hill sprints, and 3 intervals of unusual duration and effort 149 (76%) strava
            Thu 2.5 8:14 Wahoo! An outdoors lunch run! 137 (70%) strava
            Fri 8.1 7:59 Treamill feature: Pulp Fiction - Innsbruck 134 (68%) strava
            Fri 2.5 8:20 Closing out two weeks of little doubles - Innsbruck 139 (71%) strava
            Sat 14.5 7:50 Not the Beacon Run - Watopia 136 (69%) strava
              66.9 8:00      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Speed Surplus

My week. Feeling a bit creaky today, but I slept almost 10 hours last night which is, like, unheard of.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
              Mon 7.1 8:47 1:02 Sloggy TM recovery 138 (75%) 0 strava
              Tue 5.0 8:19 0:41 Redlined at the end to keep muscles bouncy 138 (75%) 0 strava
              Wed 6.9 8:02 0:55 Terrible sleep = sore neck 141 (77%) 223 strava
              Thu 6.0 9:51 0:58 Snowy trail 400s! 157 (85%) 275 strava
              Fri 4.7 9:25 0:44 Treadmill recover and new shoe test 137 (74%) 0 strava
              Sat 5.4 7:53 0:42 Not quite T-shirt weather but I wore one anyway 147 (80%) 96 strava
              Sun 8.0 8:03 1:04 Rollin' down the street in my 64 145 (79%) 269 strava
                43.1 8:35 6:10     863

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11771317/training/log?feature=public-training-log

kcam: Sounds like you have what DW acquired somewhere. Good job on the long run. I think half of running right now is just fighting the mental urge to stay inside because of weather.  Oh and I'd totally sign up for that Shamrock 5K if I was going to be closer. I could meet pj finally.

keen I figured it was a "treadmill to real world" kind of thing. I assumed FTP was **** THIS PACE.

kk ain't you due this week, or did you already pop? I keep messing the day up.

Long run Saturday included talking to a man with a 4,100+ day running streak while running with RB doing the marathon. I commented RB was an 8 mile/week runner and now gets up around 6am to run at 7am. Streaker pretty much said you just have to get the routine going. Also, once you hit triple digits it's kind of a thing you keep going with.  Off to go re-read about how I'm supposed to be training for downhills like every 3 weeks by doing hard downhill runs. The fear of a 4-10% downhill run is becoming scarier and scarier only because of the non-stop hill AND I once heard about doing an all downhill marathon in Utah and the flat became VERY challenging.

EDIT: Can't find max's advice. I see SC told me not to skimp downhill running because he was wrecked.  7 Saturdays until race day (technically 6 because #7 is race day). 2/3 through training. ONE short 3 mile downhill run during a weekend long run. doomed. I guess I need to do that 8 mile downhill run. Suggestions on pace/effort? I could do weekend runs with longer downhills. Point to point with RB or up/down/up/down for a 12+ mile long run.

Race course is 5,100' drop. CIM is the only "downhill" course I've run at about 350' drop. The overwhelming majority of my running is flattish. Not really what I'd say "extended downhill" running would entail. 1.5 miles of 2-4% downhill isn't the same as 21 miles of downhill.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

Baby hill is more that it was only about 30 feet.  Compare to the run from the day before...

avatar is the benchmark from monkey rock up on the forest, I like it cause it says forest service on it compared to he usual geodetic survey ones.  I collect them like Pokémons.  Do people still collect Pokémon’s?

was thinking closer to Oakland for the race, have a friend there and maybe combo the race and a visit.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11771317/training/log?feature=public-training-log

Off to go re-read about how I'm supposed to be training for downhills like every 3 weeks by doing hard downhill runs. The fear of a 4-10% downhill run is becoming scarier and scarier only because of the non-stop hill AND I once heard about doing an all downhill marathon in Utah and the flat became VERY challenging.

EDIT: Can't find max's advice. I see SC told me not to skimp downhill running because he was wrecked.  7 Saturdays until race day (technically 6 because #7 is race day). 2/3 through training. ONE short 3 mile downhill run during a weekend long run. doomed. I guess I need to do that 8 mile downhill run. Suggestions on pace/effort? I could do weekend runs with longer downhills. Point to point with RB or up/down/up/down for a 12+ mile long run.

I really think you need to be doing longer downhill runs at MP or faster - a slow downhill run won't cauterize the quads in quite the same way.

I would build up to it also, and know that you will be sore after doing these.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I really think you need to be doing longer downhill runs at MP or faster - a slow downhill run won't cauterize the quads in quite the same way.

shit.....okay.  The only hill I can think of that is longer than 3 miles would be point to point. It just might be hard to get back outside of ordering a ride. I might just need to jump right into 6-8 Thursday after work and Uber back to the truck. The only other option is 3 up/down/up/down which wouldn't require a ride. I know the previous advice was one workout every three weeks or so which would only give me 2 weeks. What would you think I could get done at this point? Weekly 3 mile downhills or 3 workouts over the next 6 weeks at marathon pace?

VDOT 53.37 

kcam

Baby hill is more that it was only about 30 feet.  Compare to the run from the day before...

avatar is the benchmark from monkey rock up on the forest, I like it cause it says forest service on it compared to he usual geodetic survey ones.  I collect them like Pokémons.  Do people still collect Pokémon’s?

was thinking closer to Oakland for the race, have a friend there and maybe combo the race and a visit.

Not sure of anything trustworthy closer to Oakland.  That's why I liked th Sac race - the race org there can be trusted to put on a decent race.  Huge pet peeve of mine is paying for a 5K only to find out the race org sucks and can't layout a good course, or can't layout an accurate course.

Looking again, maybe this one in Dublin (not too far from Oakland) might be decent since they do advertise the 5K course as being 'certified'.  That's always a good sign ... as though they actually care about racers.  If you run something do put a race report up!

Dublin Shamrock 5K

Speed Surplus

My downhill training consisted of bombing every downhill possible in the months leading up to my race, and a handful of specific MP or tempo efforts that were a bit longer when I had access to longer hills. Specifically, I did something like 8 up (easy), 7 down on the actual marathon course at like 6:55 pace (so, MP - 25 seconds or so) a few weeks before the race.

I felt prepared, and my legs held up during the race, but I was destroyed afterward. I definitely could have done more.

Running Problem

Problem Child

My downhill training consisted of bombing every downhill possible in the months leading up to my race, and a handful of specific MP or tempo efforts that were a bit longer when I had access to longer hills. Specifically, I did something like 8 up (easy), 7 down on the actual marathon course at like 6:55 pace (so, MP - 25 seconds or so) a few weeks before the race.

I felt prepared, and my legs held up during the race, but I was destroyed afterward. I definitely could have done more.

Thanks. The fear is real with this one. Such as...I'm wondering if training so far has been enough. 15 total with 7 at pace on the  course sounds pretty tough but probably the easiest way to get high mileage with hill training. How long did that take? While I haven't AVOIDED hills, I haven't searched them out. I just run what I come across on long runs...which vary and aren't EVER at MP. I also don't bomb downhills. I've also never run a massively downhill course so I'm 100% blind on what it can do to my legs.

EDIT: The all down/flat course has been a paranoia/fear ever since Chicago. Yeah downhill = "easier" however only if prepared as max and dwave have said. I just feel like I've been blind sided by race day being so soon and missing so much of downhill running as part of training.

VDOT 53.37 

OMR

Nice weeks by a lot of you, and good to see one from you, rovatti.

Dwave:  I like the use of the term "cauterize" for prepping the quads for downhills.  I've been doing longer downhills on an incline trainer, which maxes out at 3%, and I think they helped for Old Pueblo.  Problem is that some of the descents were closer to 20%, so they only helped so much.

Brew:  I started with shorter repeats and gradually lengthened them.  So, if you have a 3-mile downhill, you could start by running 0.5 down, turn around and run 0.3 up, then repeat until you get to the bottom.  Over time, make those longer.  I would also recommend some exercises for the proprioceptors, which take more of a beating as well.  I should have done more of that for Old Pueblo, but just didn't have time given work life.

My weekly:  Rest x 7.

Starting to get back into things today...

Speed Surplus

Thanks. The fear is real with this one. Such as...I'm wondering if training so far has been enough. 15 total with 7 at pace on the  course sounds pretty tough but probably the easiest way to get high mileage with hill training. How long did that take? While I haven't AVOIDED hills, I haven't searched them out. I just run what I come across on long runs...which vary and aren't EVER at MP. I also don't bomb downhills. I've also never run a massively downhill course so I'm 100% blind on what it can do to my legs.

EDIT: The all down/flat course has been a paranoia/fear ever since Chicago. Yeah downhill = "easier" however only if prepared as max and dwave have said. I just feel like I've been blind sided by race day being so soon and missing so much of downhill running as part of training.

I broke it into two runs so I could see the avg. pace more easily.

Uphill: https://www.strava.com/activities/1554767065

Downhill: https://www.strava.com/activities/1554767066

Looks like combined it took my about 2 hours on the nose. 8:52 pace uphill, 6:57 down. Looks like about 600 feet of downhill in 7 miles, so that's, what, 1.5% average grade? Not that steep, actually.

I should also clarify that when I said I was destroyed, I meant after the marathon, not after this training run.